PDA

View Full Version : Question on Write-In Vote

anaconda
07-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Does anyone understand how write-ins work? Do you have to include an address or something? I know it sounds silly, but what if I wanted to write in my next door neighbor whose name was William Brown? How would they know which William Brown I was referring to? There are probably thousands of William Browns nation wide. The reason I ask this is for a more serious reason...I am wondering if their are rules and regulations that might affect the ability of all of the people who claim they intend to write-in Ron Paul in making a coherent statement and impact? Are write-ins counted, for example? Etc.

I will probably vote for Barr and, while I don't think the RP write-in is the best move at this point, I still would like to see an official tally of the RP write-ins to the extent that they do occur. I think a counted vote for Barr or Baldwin will make a bigger impact if the RP write-ins are not officially tallied.

NewFederalist
07-09-2008, 05:19 AM
Write-in voting varies by state. In many states write-in votes WILL NOT be tallied IF the candidate has not filed an intention to be a write-in candidate. In some states (like North Carolina) there is even a signature requirement to become a write-in candidate. If you look over past year's final and certified election returns you see a total for "scattering" or "spoiled ballots". In many cases this is where write-ins are included if the candidate has not made his/her intentions known to election officials and requested the write-ins be counted.

anaconda
07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Sounds like writing in RP will make no statement at all. Better to pick an anti establishment candidate.

latkinson6
07-09-2008, 03:30 PM
your write in will not be counted, even in states that allow write-ins.
nobody will ever see or even know about a write in vote.
a write-in vote is a wasted vote. imho.
Look into Barr, Baldwin, or Nader.

NewFederalist
07-10-2008, 07:46 AM
One other point worthy of mention is that votes cast for presidential and vice presidential nominees are not actually cast directly for them but for a slate of electors pledged to vote for them when the Electoral College meets in December. If no such slate is filed with the proper election officials a write-in vote would probably be tallied as "scattering" or "other" or some other such category that will probably not accomplish what the voter had intended.