PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Mile Oil Change Myth BUSTED!

Matt Collins
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB), the California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA), and General Motors Corporation (GM) announced their partnership to educate Californians about the need to change their vehicles' oil based on manufacturers' guidelines and not automatically follow the long-standing 3,000 mile standard.

When it comes to oil changes, less is more. You’ll have more money in your wallet by changing your oil less --and fewer oil changes means less oil that needs to be safely managed and recycled.

SOURCE:
http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/Pressroom/2008/May/30.htm

Alex Libman
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
I had a girlfriend once who dropped off her car for an oil change every 2 months (hardly a thousand miles sometimes) while getting her hair done, because she was too lazy to check her tire pressure, top off the coolant, etc herself.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I bought a brand new Mitsu Spyder convertible in 2001 and gave it 3 oil changes in 110,000 miles. The engine seized around 100K but she freed up after a few minutes. She was still running at 110K before electrical problems put her on the disabled list.

LibertyEagle
07-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I use Mobile One synthetic oil. It doesn't degrade like regular oil and therefore there is no need to change it nearly as often.

Fox McCloud
07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I use Mobile One synthetic oil. It doesn't degrade like regular oil and therefore there is no need to change it nearly as often.

one of the best oils on the market...for gasoline cars, at least--I definitely recommend it.

For diesels? Amsoil is really good--it's a shame it's such a pyramid-scheme setup though.

Matt Collins
07-08-2008, 06:40 PM
For diesels? Amsoil is really good--it's a shame it's such a pyramid-scheme setup though.I am an Amsoil Dealer, and no it's not a pyramid scheme... ha ha that's a common myth.

And Mobil 1 is one of the best oils out there, however Amsoil is a step above. In fact Amsoil has been proven to be the highest quality oil on the market by independent lab tests.

Nanerbeet
07-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I bought a brand new Mitsu Spyder convertible in 2001 and gave it 3 oil changes in 110,000 miles. The engine seized around 100K but she freed up after a few minutes. She was still running at 110K before electrical problems put her on the disabled list.

Why didn't you change the oil?

amy31416
07-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I change my oil based not on mileage, but on the condition of the oil when checking it. I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Get to know your oil, what it looks like, smells like, and how it feels (dont' taste it, thank you.) If it smells at all burned, has more particulate than seems to be normal or if you're going on a long road trip--change it. I've gone 10k miles between oil changes with little to no change in the quality of the oil or performance in the car. It's around $70 (last time I checked) to have Pennzoil do a full synthetic Mobil 1 oil change, it's about $35 if you do it yourself. It isn't hard at all if you've never done it yourself.

Matt Collins
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I had a girlfriend once Me too :(

Matt Collins
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Get to know your oil, what it looks like, smells like, and how it feels (dont' taste it, thank you.) If it smells at all burned, has more particulate than seems to be normal or if you're going on a long road trip--change it. I've gone 10k miles between oil changes with little to no change in the quality of the oil or performance in the car. It's around $70 (last time I checked) to have Pennzoil do a full synthetic Mobil 1 oil change, it's about $35 if you do it yourself. It isn't hard at all if you've never done it yourself.

Well first off no human can tell when the oil needs to be changed just by looking at it or feeling it. If you do not follow the warranted mileage for the oil then you must do an oil analysis (OA). An OA will tell you what the current viscosity is, if there are any other contaminants or metals in the oil, and what the total base number is (the oil's ability to neutralize acid over time).

Also Amsoil makes several oils which are warranted for 35,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It's about $10/qt but if you do the math one comes out ahead.

Dr.3D
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I use Mobil One in my 1974 M151-A2 military truck. After around 3k miles, I just change the filter and top it off. After around three changes of the filter, I then change the oil and the filter. The engine is geared to run at nearly full RPMs when going down the road at 65 - 70 MPH and I don't want to take any chances with it having lubrication problems.

I also use synthetic oil in my gear box and transfer case. So far I have never found it to be low. But if I do find it to be low, I'll just top it off. The heavy synthetic oil does make the gear box a lot quieter than the original oil did.

angelatc
07-08-2008, 10:04 PM

Synthetic oil is awesome, but I've heard that it's bad to use in an old engine. If I had a new car, I'd only run synthetic oil.

Those of us who subscribe to Consumer Reports already knew that the 3,000 mile "requirement" was bunk. (She said smugly.)

angelatc
07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I change my oil based not on mileage, but on the condition of the oil when checking it. I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

LOL! Amy, it sounds like either a spiritual of a sexual experience when you talk about it!!!

I used to change my own oil, but with coupons I can usually get it sone for $30 - $40 bucks. Plus they dispose of the old oil, which was always the biggest bitch about the whole job.

My Dad is old and cranky, and when the city decided that oil was hazardous waste, he said "BAH!" and continued to tuck it into his city supplied tote. So, one day he and I were down at the neighbor's house, talking, and the garbage truck pulled up and compacted the garbage after it picked up the neighbors. The neighbor started swearing, because oil was running out of the compactor all over the street, right in front of the driveway. The neighbor said, "some dumb sonofabitch keeps putting his used oil in the garbage and it gets all over our tires, on the drive, in the garage! I'd like to know who the hell is doing that!"

My Dad started using coupons to get his oil changed right around that time. :D

Fox McCloud
07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
I am an Amsoil Dealer, and no it's not a pyramid scheme... ha ha that's a common myth.

And Mobil 1 is one of the best oils out there, however Amsoil is a step above. In fact Amsoil has been proven to be the highest quality oil on the market by independent lab tests.

Really? Very interesting, I didn't know that.

Synthetic oil is awesome, but I've heard that it's bad to use in an old engine. If I had a new car, I'd only run synthetic oil.

Those of us who subscribe to Consumer Reports already knew that the 3,000 mile "requirement" was bunk. (She said smugly.)

depends on the older car :-P The Germans were the first to use synthetic oil widely--IIRC they used it in their military force primarily.

torchbearer
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
My father, a big car buff, has always changed oil at the 5k mark, never had any engine problems, and he used to race street cars.
Even today, I go 5kmiles before changing oil.

amy31416
07-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Well first off no human can tell when the oil needs to be changed just by looking at it or feeling it. If you do not follow the warranted mileage for the oil then you must do an oil analysis (OA). An OA will tell you what the current viscosity is, if there are any other contaminants or metals in the oil, and what the total base number is (the oil's ability to neutralize acid over time).

Also Amsoil makes several oils which are warranted for 35,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. It's about $10/qt but if you do the math one comes out ahead.

Of course no person can do a perfect analysis, but using your senses will get you farther than not using them. And you're wrong that when you don't follow the warranted mileage for the oil that you must do an oil analysis, it's your car, you can do whatever you want with it. It depends on so many factors that you can't make that statement while still being honest.

The amazing thing about science is that it is based on our senses, those who do not use them are losing out. The warranted mileage for the oil in cars is just like the recommended amount of laundry detergent to use--motivated partially by wanting to sell more product (as a rule of thumb, half of what the manufacturer recommends will do the same job in laundry detergent--they always assume worst case scenario.) The average person can not or will not shell out for an oil analysis, but you can tell a lot by by using your own faculties. The average person also does not drive like a NASCAR participant on a daily basis.

I'll look at Amsoil, but keep in mind that you sell it. :)

amy31416
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
LOL! Amy, it sounds like either a spiritual of a sexual experience when you talk about it!!!

I used to change my own oil, but with coupons I can usually get it sone for $30 - $40 bucks. Plus they dispose of the old oil, which was always the biggest bitch about the whole job.

My Dad is old and cranky, and when the city decided that oil was hazardous waste, he said "BAH!" and continued to tuck it into his city supplied tote. So, one day he and I were down at the neighbor's house, talking, and the garbage truck pulled up and compacted the garbage after it picked up the neighbors. The neighbor started swearing, because oil was running out of the compactor all over the street, right in front of the driveway. The neighbor said, "some dumb sonofabitch keeps putting his used oil in the garbage and it gets all over our tires, on the drive, in the garage! I'd like to know who the hell is doing that!"

My Dad started using coupons to get his oil changed right around that time. :D

:D Hahahahahahaha! You actually made me LOL--I do like cars and I guess it is a sensual experience all-around.

My dad used to discard his oil in the storm sewer. Yeah, not looked-upon so well these days...and that is the biggest PITA about the whole thing. Letting someone else change the oil depends on how much I trust the garage, there can be some real morons working there who dont' give a rat's ass about what they do to your car.

P.S. Avoid Jiffy Lube, I've read too many horrible things about them.

angelatc
07-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Really? Very interesting, I didn't know that.

depends on the older car :-P The Germans were the first to use synthetic oil widely--IIRC they used it in their military force primarily.

Heh. No, I meant an engine that has a lot of miles on it already.

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 12:47 AM
And you're wrong that when you don't follow the warranted mileage for the oil that you must do an oil analysis, it's your car, you can do whatever you want with it.Well you don't have to, but if you want to stay within your vehicle's warranty, and within the warranty of the oil, than any service life beyond what the oil is warranted for needs to be documented and supported by oil anaylsis in case of failure.

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Synthetic oil is awesome, but I've heard that it's bad to use in an old engine. If I had a new car, I'd only run synthetic oil.Yes and no. Every customer I get that wants to buy Amsoil I ask them if they have over 100k on their vehicle. If they do, I try to steer them from going with a synthetic. Why?

Because synthetic oil has lots of detergents and will clean out sludge. If your seals are dried up and have a ring of sludge around them from years of petroleum oil usage, the detergent in the new synthetic oil will clean it out. If the seal is cracked (and if it is dry there is a good chance it will be), then you can get a leak. Upgrading from petroleum to synthetic under the 100,000 is almost always pretty safe.

nobody's_hero
07-09-2008, 05:10 AM
I've heard great things about ams oil.

agitator
07-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Just put a quart of Lucas in with every oil change. And you can get by with every ~10,000 miles between changes.

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Just put a quart of Slick 50 in with every oil change. And you can get by with every ~10,000 miles between changes.NO. DO NOT USE that stuff. Slick 50 does nothing for your vehicle and in fact can do more damage than anything.

HOLLYWOOD
07-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I am an Amsoil Dealer, and no it's not a pyramid scheme... ha ha that's a common myth.

BUMP... nothing but AMSOIL in my cars... long term mechanical insurance, with better fuel efficiencies, and less pollutants.

BTW:

With a FINITE resource like crude oil and the current imposed crisis', the push for BIOFUELS... you figure government could give incentives to recycle OILS; like your kitchen cooking oils and motor OILS... YET where's the RECYCLING CENTERS you can sell back to the government/WMI/yotta yotta.

If the people were offered a reward to recycle OILS... not only would it be successful, it would reduce a multitude of pollutants and contaminations...

HOW MANY oil containers go in the trash?
How much GOOD OIL is wasted?
How many OIL plastic containers are wasted?
How much dirty oil contaminates the environment?
How much contaminated oil causes Health problems?
How about reduced OIL dependencies, more money circulation and stimulus.

On the other hand of, UNPRODUCTIVE LAWS, states charge 5-10 cents per Can/bottle for Redemption Value/Recycle Deposit... then when you take cans to a redemption location, they give you like 2 cents.

Once again, it's all a MONEY MAKING SHELL GAMES, BY and FOR Government at all levels!

Energy Policy? Worthless policies, Worthless Politicians, Thieving Government!

agitator
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
NO. DO NOT USE that stuff. Slick 50 does nothing for your vehicle and in fact can do more damage than anything.

Called my mechanic, I confused the product. He says use "Lucas" not Slick 50.

angelatc
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Yes and no. Every customer I get that wants to buy Amsoil I ask them if they have over 100k on their vehicle. If they do, I try to steer them from going with a synthetic. Why?

Because synthetic oil has lots of detergents and will clean out sludge. If your seals are dried up and have a ring of sludge around them from years of petroleum oil usage, the detergent in the new synthetic oil will clean it out. If the seal is cracked (and if it is dry there is a good chance it will be), then you can get a leak. Upgrading from petroleum to synthetic under the 100,000 is almost always pretty safe.

Sludge and old? Sounds like my cars.

mconder
07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Amsoil is really good--it's a shame it's such a pyramid-scheme setup though.

...and what would you call your conventional global corporation?

dsentell
07-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info everyone!

I religiously have my oil changed every 3,000 miles. It is due now. Maybe if I don't, I won't be struck by lightening . . . . . . . :D

Matt Collins
07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
Called my mechanic, I confused the product. He says use "Lucas" not Slick 50.Yeah. Lucas is decent if you are using a conventional oil. But you shouldn't use it with a high quality synthetic.

satchelmcqueen
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM
i used to change at 3k but after studying alot about how oil works and what it does, i go 5k now and i use mobile 1 full syn. i could go more but i choose not to. i also just dump my used oil right to the back side of my drive in the same spot for 13 years now. i kid you not..there are still weeds and small trees that grow around it and get tall enough that a good weed eating is needed about once a month. i dont think oil is as bad as they want you to think.

Matt Collins
07-10-2008, 12:46 AM
i dont think oil is as bad as they want you to think.Uhh... yeah but it could get into the water underground.

entropy
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I use mobil1 and go between 10,000-11,000 miles between changes. I am tempted to go 15,000 per change, I think synthetic is that good of an oil. When I drain at 10,000 and feel the old oil between my fingers and compare it to the new it still feels the same.....

Anti Federalist
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
On large marine diesels, the oil is never changed.

Viscosity agents and detergents are added as needed, based on onboard testing.

New oil is added only to replace oil consumed or lost.