PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for media partners for LSP

Bryan
07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I see the following requirements as good in these exact terms:

-----------

All media partners must:

1. Pledge to treat all candidates fairly. This includes:
+ Broadcast all required segments as specified in the event schedule.
+ Provide equally fair commentary.
+ Provide equal commentary time for each candidate such as if breaks are used.

2. Not be associated with / a part of an organization that is racists, hateful or otherwise could do damage to the reputation of the event as determined by the leadership team.

3. All marketing of the event, and broadcast must refer to the proper name of the event, "Liberty Straw Poll".

----------

Suggested changes? Would anything else make sense to add?

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I think that it's better to not attempt to regulate commentary -- but I do like your idea of providing the opportunity for users to report possible infractions. I think I high standard of fairness among media partners' broadcasts can be maintained without the burden of attempting to subjectively define what is, or is not, an infraction.

1. Pledge to treat all candidates fairly.Instead of leaving it up to humans to define what 'fairly' is, perhaps there can be objective standards. For instance, if the only requirements to be a media partner are:

A) Provide the entire broadcast (event schedule) without edit or omission.
B) Display the Liberty Straw Poll badge on your site

I think that would cover all angles, if the text on the badge contains wording that:

a)notifies anyone watching the broadcast (through the media partner) that they are watching a RE-broadcast, which is provided freely and open source from libertystrawpoll.com.

b) disclaims libertystrawpoll's responsibility for the actions of the rebroadcaster

c) provides warning against misuse, and instruction for reporting any rebroadcaster who omits or edits content from libertystrawpoll.com.

That way, onlookers would have their eyes open to the possibility that there are omissions/edits to the original content of the broadcast, and libertystrawpoll.com doesn't have to waste resources trying to regulate the behavior of all re-broadcasters.

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
oops.

instead of a badge on the site, i suppose it should be 15 seconds of video that is part of the mandatory event schedule.

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
What if someone wants to make a video out of part of the content of the broadcast after the fact? Is there a problem with making the content of the broadcast unrestricted after the vote?

Bryan
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I think that it's better to not attempt to regulate commentary -- but I do like your idea of providing the opportunity for users to report possible infractions. I think I high standard of fairness among media partners' broadcasts can be maintained without the burden of attempting to subjectively define what is, or is not, an infraction.

Instead of leaving it up to humans to define what 'fairly' is, perhaps there can be objective standards. For instance, if the only requirements to be a media partner are:

A) Provide the entire broadcast (event schedule) without edit or omission.
B) Display the Liberty Straw Poll badge on your site

I think that would cover all angles, if the text on the badge contains wording that:

a)notifies anyone watching the broadcast (through the media partner) that they are watching a RE-broadcast, which is provided freely and open source from libertystrawpoll.com.

b) disclaims libertystrawpoll's responsibility for the actions of the rebroadcaster

c) provides warning against misuse, and instruction for reporting any rebroadcaster who omits or edits content from libertystrawpoll.com.

That way, onlookers would have their eyes open to the possibility that there are omissions/edits to the original content of the broadcast, and libertystrawpoll.com doesn't have to waste resources trying to regulate the behavior of all re-broadcasters.
I like this- I just added a #3 to the list, more details to come:

"3. All marketing of the event, and broadcast must refer to the proper name of the event, "Liberty Straw Poll"."

What if someone wants to make a video out of part of the content of the broadcast after the fact? Is there a problem with making the content of the broadcast unrestricted after the vote?
I certainly wouldn't mind, I think the candidates should be fine with it to. They'll have to get use to criticism too if that's the way it goes.