PDA

View Full Version : How many votes to allow per person for LSP?

Bryan
07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
This is a tough question- on one hand, "one person, one vote" certainly has appeal--- but there are a few other considerations:

1. This is a fund raiser, so if people want to buy a lot then so be it.
2. Even our government voting system can't prevent abuse- how could we possibly do it online? At best we could limit to one per IP or one per e-mail, and/or ask for an honor system.

That said, there would be a few natural limits to keep one person from making a lot of votes:

- Voting could likely be open for only 30 minutes, and each vote would be a manual process which would slow one down.
- Ticket purchases are a PAC donation, which are limited by FEC regulation to $5,000 per year per person. That wouldn't be an issue for most, but it's still a limit.

As it stands, it seems necessary to have ticket sales wide open unless an honor system of only one ticket is largely demanded. There can be no sure-fire enforcement so it wouldn't be a said to be the case.

JS4Pat
07-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Stupid question - but...
What is LSP?

Bryan
07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Liberty Straw Poll - see the sticky at the top of this sub-forum for details. :)

You're welcome to join in! :)

ItsTime
07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
unlimited votes. well to the 5k amount. its a fund raiser, lets raise some money :)

ronpaulhawaii
07-07-2008, 08:57 PM
unlimited votes. well to the 5k amount. its a fund raiser, lets raise some money :)

+$$$

revolutionman
07-08-2008, 09:20 AM
i agree with ItsTime

IPSecure
07-08-2008, 11:26 AM
At best we could limit to one per IP or one per e-mail, and/or ask for an honor system.

I disagree with the one IP... There are at different times, 6-8 Dr. Ron Paul supporters at this IP address...

ingrid
07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Ticket purchases are a PAC donation, which are limited by FEC regulation to $5,000 per year per person. That wouldn't be an issue for most, but it's still a limit.

Since people are buying the tickets and they are under FEC regulation, wouldn't you have everyone's names who bought one? If you wish to limit the number of votes each person can make, I would suggest selling the tickets before the event, and then having your staff check the sales beforehand for "cheating." When they buy the ticket, they could be given a code, so that on the day of the event, all the person has to do is enter the code (and maybe a few details) and then vote.

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
If half of the proceeds go to the NEXT liberty straw poll, then the winner could potentially be purchased, but the abuser could not profit monetarily. Seems to me that would take away half the incentive to abuse the system. Does this make sense?

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
I would suggest selling the tickets before the event, and then having your staff check the sales beforehand for "cheating."

Surely this and an honor system would suffice for our purposes.

Roxi
07-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Surely this and an honor system would suffice for our purposes.

+1

Bryan
07-10-2008, 10:11 PM
The way it's standing, and based on some of the issues posted and feedback, I really see no need to limit the vote per person- it is near impossible without the honor system.

I disagree with the one IP... There are at different times, 6-8 Dr. Ron Paul supporters at this IP address...
That's certainly a good reason to not use it as a limiter.

Since people are buying the tickets and they are under FEC regulation, wouldn't you have everyone's names who bought one? If you wish to limit the number of votes each person can make, I would suggest selling the tickets before the event, and then having your staff check the sales beforehand for "cheating." When they buy the ticket, they could be given a code, so that on the day of the event, all the person has to do is enter the code (and maybe a few details) and then vote.
FEC needs names for anyone donating $200, IIRC.

If half of the proceeds go to the NEXT liberty straw poll, then the winner could potentially be purchased, but the abuser could not profit monetarily. Seems to me that would take away half the incentive to abuse the system. Does this make sense?
It makes sense- an interesting proposal- for this time I want to keep it simple but we need to save these ideas (I'll start a new thread). :)