PDA

View Full Version : DHS is seeking to make ALL airplane passengers to wear a taser bracelet!!!

rational thinker
07-07-2008, 07:59 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/aviation-security/2008/Jul/01/want-some-torture-with-your-peanuts/

Maverick
07-07-2008, 08:06 PM
This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

Holy shit :eek:

votefreedomfirst
07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I'd rather never fly again than be forced to wear a government shock collar.

angelatc
07-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I'd rather never fly again than be forced to wear a government shock collar.

I quit flying when they demanded ID.

(Kiddies, when I was young you could sell an unused ticket directly to other travelers. Can you even imagine??? It's a miracle we weren't all killed. :) )

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I flew this weekend. I wish the security checkpoint air puffers were just a little bit lower to the ground.

ItsTime
07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
when are you going to get pissed? That is the question i have for all americans.

Mckarnin
07-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Ahhh! Well, thankfully I am afraid of flying and already avoid it. Still, a lot of people I love fly a bit. I wonder how easy it would be to hack in the system and have a terrorist disable everyone on the plane using the bracelets and then bust into the cockpit.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/aviation-security/2008/Jul/01/want-some-torture-with-your-peanuts/

123tim
07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
I thought that this was a bad idea until about 3/4 of the way through the video when this was rationally and sensibly stated:

"To a businessman on his way home to be reunited with his family or to a young family going south for a winter holiday, wearing an EMD safety bracelet for a few hours during a flight is a small inconvenience to ensure their safe arrival. We feel if given the choice between taking a flight employing the added security provided by the EMD safety bracelet system and taking a flight without the additional security, many if not most passengers would happily opt for the extra security of the EMD safety bracelet."

Makes sense to me. :eek:

Same video on Utube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knLWDIKA2_g

James Madison
07-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Well, looks like I won't be flying anymore!

FindLiberty
07-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Is there a flaw in the DHS bracelet system proposal (in addition to no one wanting to ever fly again)?

Hijackers may crack the system and send the signal that "tazes" everybody else while "protecting" their own wrists with a wrap of aluminum foil slid under the bracelet (and/or over the bracelet to prevent it from picking up a signal if the system requires a failsafe signal to keep it turned off). The hijackers could use the bracelet system to disable passengers who may wish to prevent them from completing their terror mission. (This is the same flaw as the "land the plane by remote control" proposal.)

I used to say that 90 minutes into the attacks of 9/11, passengers knew all they needed to know to prevent any future hijacker from ever taking control of a plane (by using their shoes and bare hands to enthusiastically smash/tear any would-be hijackers into little tiny bits).

Apparently DHS knows better, so here is a "better" idea that's much harder to disable:

Instead they should install an armored Kevlar rope "pull cord" looped throughout the passenger compartment that's located so any passenger could simply reach up and pull it "if needed".

Instead of working like the old pull cord system used to signal the bus driver that a passenger wants to get off the bus soon, this new DHS pull cord device would release nerve agent into the cockpit that would render the pilot or hijacker(s) unconscious (or it could be wired up to deploy the landing spoilers on one wing) making the plane impossible to fly or control. While it would take years for crews to install this system on the nation's entire fleet of passenger airplanes, an immediate temporary measure would be to issue all passengers grenades or other high power explosives that could be used to disintegrate the plane in the air before it could be used as a WMD by a hijacker.

Of course the plane would crash, but the odds of it hitting any particular target, such as a government building, would be very remote. This sacrifice may be required in the name of homeland security since DHS has decided the passengers can't or won't protect themselves, i.e., the airplane, on their own.

sluggo
07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
It's now official: Sluggo will not be boarding an airplane ever again.

qh4dotcom
07-08-2008, 12:36 AM
As bad as the government is and all their screw-ups, somehow I don't think that they are that dumb to pass this. It will most likely bankrupt the airline industry.

Air marshals, pissed-off passengers and secure cockpits doors are more than enough to prevent another hijacking.

sidster
07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
So, during an attempted hijacking or an unruly passenger, are
they going to zap everyone? The video talked about using RF.
That would be funny! :D

I actually have a better idea, why not knock every passenger
out using some sort of sedative at boarding time. That way
you don't even have to feed the passengers. You can store
them like cargo, so no worries about legroom either!

Damn... they should hire me for this job ;)

p.s., How old is this idea? The video talks mentions a 2003
deadline for reinforced cockpit doors.

hypnagogue
07-08-2008, 03:39 AM
I don't see this happening. There's simply no way to explain this system to any sane human being, that will not illicit an immediate, "You've got to be fucking kidding me." Hell, there might even be riots at the airport.

robert4rp08
07-08-2008, 06:35 AM
crikey

FindLiberty
07-08-2008, 06:35 AM
There are so many more potential uses for this device...

http://www.xscapesprops.com/star%20trek%20props/klingon%20weapons/agonizer.jpg

Once wired into the central Skynet computers, it can also
deter excess consumption of junk food by automatically
shocking the wearer at the point of ordering the fast food
item in question (especially effective at fast food restaurant
drive-up windows.)

The IRS could port into this system for tax audits or incorporate
its use with their "file by phone" system.

It could eliminate the need for "free speech zones" and riot police.

etc.

youngbuck
07-08-2008, 07:24 AM
The world is being turned into a Prison Planet!

acptulsa
07-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Put one on McCain.

That way Herr Liebermann won't have to stick to him like a butt buddy to keep him from placing his foot in his mouth.

Bruno
07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
I don't see this happening. There's simply no way to explain this system to any sane human being, that will not illicit an immediate, "You've got to be fucking kidding me." Hell, there might even be riots at the airport.

I wish I agreed with you. Everything regarding the police state is done incrementally and approached with "if you don't have anything to to hide, what do you have to worry about?" A guy five years ago tried to light a bomb in his shoe and billions of passengers later, we all take off our shoes.

There was a time not too long ago when to have your suntan lotion taken from you because it was over 3 ounces, where taking off your shoes at a checkpoint, being frisked, strip searched and sent through a scanner that takes and invasive video of your entire nude body would have been an outrageous request. The boogie man used to be illegal drugs, which helped get us half-way to where we are now in security measures. Bit by bit each one of those security measures were added to keep us safe from the boogie man, and here we are today sliding down that slope to bracelets that shock you. We just have a new boogie man now - terroism.

Threat level orange - it hasn't fallen below orange since the "threat level" was first created. :rolleyes:

IRO-bot
07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I remember when they used to show those levels on TV all the time. It was funny.

PatriotG
07-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, looks like I won't be flying anymore!

There is no friggin way they would slap one of these on me or any member of my family. I would leave the airport and drive to my destination or cancel the vacation completely and eat the loss. Thats how F----- up I think this is!

Damn Insanity!

Mckarnin
07-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I just watched the video for the first time...anytime a company has to use repeated shots of the 9-11 attack and women on the verge of a breakdown to make their point it is for lack of good, solid, logical arguments for their product.

amy31416
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
I just watched the video for the first time...anytime a company has to use repeated shots of the 9-11 attack and women on the verge of a breakdown to make their point it is for lack of good, solid, logical arguments for their product.

Absolutely. We need a comparable phrase for it like we have for argumentum ad hitlerum: Godwin's law.

GunnyFreedom
07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Argumentum ad Qaida: Appeal to terrorism. "If you don't eat your cornflakes, then raving islamo-fascists will crash airplanes into your schoolbus"

acptulsa
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Argumentum ad spookum?

Primbs
07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
The famous Milgram Experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLP6eg8X13s&feature=related

More Background videos.

Background of experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKSLNBW7Ahw&feature=related

Debriefing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzLQpRwms9k&feature=related

Background:

The Milgram experiment was a series of social and psychological experiments by Yale psychology professor Stanley Milgram.

The experiment was made to test the willingness of an individual to follow directions when asked to do a particular task by an apparent authority figure, even when the task conflicted with his/her own conscience. The test was conducted during the 1961 trial of Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann. Milgram wanted to find out whether Eichmann’s actions could be held against him if he was just following orders.

Milgram overlooked as two people — a “teacher” and a “learner” — were asked to go over a series of questions. The teacher (who was the actual subject of the Milgram experiment) had to ask the learner some questions, and if the learner got it wrong, the teacher had to give a quick electric shock. The teacher was told that the voltage of the shock would increase each time the learner got an answer wrong. Unbeknownst to the teacher, the learner was actually an actor that was part of the experiment, and nobody was actually getting shocked at all.

The study’s results are scary and fascinating. Nearly 2/3 of the participants ended up essentially “killing” their test subjects by administering the final 450-volt electric shock.

Throughout the experiment, the various “teachers” would stop and question their actions, but when the apparent authority figure (just somebody in a white lab coat) assured them that everything was ok, the teachers would go on with the experiment despite the fact that they could hear the agonizing screams from the other side of the wall.

Milgram says this about his findings:

Ordinary people, simply doing their jobs, and without any particular hostility on their part, can become agents in a terrible destructive process. Moreover, even when the destructive effects of their work become patently clear, and they are asked to carry out actions incompatible with fundamental standards of morality, relatively few people have the resources needed to resist authority.

http://www.doobybrain.com/2008/02/23/the-milgram-experiment/

hypnagogue
07-08-2008, 03:44 PM
We've had a term for this for a long time now. It's called Fear Mongering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_mongering).

zach
07-08-2008, 04:28 PM
It's unpleasant to think that passengers are now being viewed more as dogs instead of humans.

Or sheep, if you prefer.

We don't need a damn bracelet to shock us for our safety. That's stupid.

syborius
07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I thought that this was a bad idea until about 3/4 of the way through the video when this was rationally and sensibly stated:

"To a businessman on his way home to be reunited with his family or to a young family going south for a winter holiday, wearing an EMD safety bracelet for a few hours during a flight is a small inconvenience to ensure their safe arrival. We feel if given the choice between taking a flight employing the added security provided by the EMD safety bracelet system and taking a flight without the additional security, many if not most passengers would happily opt for the extra security of the EMD safety bracelet."

Makes sense to me. :eek:

Same video on Utube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knLWDIKA2_g

How about we all have shock dog collars with our very own federal agent holding the leash for safety purposes? Might as well go all out to protect us.

ZanZibar
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKQLzmcSzZw&feature=email

Zippyjuan
01-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Nearly four year old thread. Where is my taser bracelet? I didn't get mine last time I traveled. I want a refund!

And what's with bumping every possible taser thread?

pacelli
01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
They gonna put taser bracelets on the pilots too?

hey, them first! I want to see every single TSA agent, operative, and employee have a taser bracelet on. They can pilot test the program for a few years, and if there are no foul ups, they can keep on wearing them.

Maybe it will stop the fuckers from stealing shit out of our luggage when it disappears down the conveyor. I knew someone who used to work backroom TSA. I was told that the level of thievery was totally out of control.

Barrex
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

LOL... Those tasers work on remote control. Any person with any knowledge on these things could shock passanger at any time he wishes to with device that looks like mobile phone or radio.... This is so retarded that is funny. US government couldnt protect their drones signals beeing hijacked but thinks simple bracelets would be safe.

HOLLYWOOD
01-15-2012, 03:47 PM
"...15 Qatloos he is Untrainable, 25 Qautloos all 3 are untrainable, 5,000 Qautloos that the newcomers will have to be destroyed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjeyWNolnXA

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a361/mzcmdr/Quatloos-1.png

CaptainAmerica
01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
DHS can stick a taser up their ass and give me the remote.

jmdrake
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Nearly four year old thread. Where is my taser bracelet? I didn't get mine last time I traveled. I want a refund!

And what's with bumping every possible taser thread?

:rolleyes: They had to get the NDAA passed first. Seriously dude you have denial issues. The government always floats out trial balloons long before they come to pass. I remember right after 9/11 hearing a speech about the coming "naked body scanners". Folks poo-pooed that too. You might have been one of them. And now they are here.

AlexAmore
01-15-2012, 04:56 PM
First thing I thought was "Great way to shuttle a bunch of unsuspecting people to a secret prison or even if you just wanted one person in the bunch...either way".

Dr.3D
01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
A seemingly simple way to keep from being shocked would be to place a small piece of aluminum foil between the bracelet and ones wrist.