PDA

View Full Version : Best run-sheet time table for LSP?

Bryan
07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
After a good bit of thought, here is what I'd see as a good timeline:

Time ----- Event
--------------------------
1 hour ----- Pre-show with MC & special guests -- optional
15 mins --- Opening: MC welcome, introduce all candidates, possibly play a 7-9 minute pre-recording that gives a brief bio of all the candidates.

Then there would be 15 minutes for each candidate with the following format:

12 minutes - Open with MC talking to the candidate for about a minute then allow the candidate to speak as they choose (MC or no MC).
3 minutes - panel discussion with MC.
<repeat>

1 hour - Post-show with MC and extended panel. Voting is open for first 30 minutes. Vote tallying, results report at end of hour (or as soon as possible).

Of this, media partners would only be required to carry the 15 minute opening and each of the 12 minute segments with each candidate. The pre and post shows are totally optional providing good bumpers to get people settled and more. During the 3 minute panel discussion each media partner could go to break, provide their own analysis or run the straight feed.

If there were seven candidates that would be:
1 hour - pre-show
2 hours - opening & candidates
1 hour - post-show

So for most it would be a three hour affair if they waited to hear the results. The post-show could be extended to discuss the results, etc.

What could make this better?

mport1
07-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Looks good to me.

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Pre-show should be objective. No 'pre-game' coverage.

"What do you think about this year's crop of candidates, Bob?"

Perhaps just equal time covering each candidate, random order drawn from a hat.

1. Birthplace, age, marriage status, family - show 1 photo chosen by candidate while this information is read aloud

2. Party affiliation history - 25 word limit, provided by candidate

3. Political belief summary - 100 word limit, provided by candidate

4. Most influential historical figure

5. Most passionate issue

6. Favorite quote

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 03:01 PM
12 minutes - Open with MC talking to the candidate for about a minute then allow the candidate to speak as they choose (MC or no MC).
3 minutes - panel discussion with MC.
<repeat>

I think 12 minutes for the candidate to speak as they choose versus 3 minutes with the MC is a good choice -- the more it's left up to the candidate to get his/her own word out, the less opportunity there is for an MC to skew/bias the results.

Not only is it important that the MC isn't given enough power to be able to game the system, it is important to provide a format that is outwardly and obviously un-gamable.

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
I love the idea of getting the results out immediately, but shouldn't voters have time to research between seeing the videos and making their vote?

nayjevin
07-10-2008, 03:46 PM
oops

Roxi
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
also i think there should be some sort of opportunity for voters to ask questions, perhaps by message board, chat room, or online MC Moderator with Instant messenger.

like say a LSP Team Member could be online during the SP and be ready with IM up (i suggest trillian because its universal between AOL/Yahoo/MSN/ICQ)

there could be a segment of time alloted where voters can IM their questions the IM Mod can relay the questions to either the MC or directly to the candidates

ALSO, what do you think about a subsequent online poll as well, display the results on the broadcast randomly through the show?

Bryan
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Pre-show should be objective. No 'pre-game' coverage.

"What do you think about this year's crop of candidates, Bob?"

Perhaps just equal time covering each candidate, random order drawn from a hat.

1. Birthplace, age, marriage status, family - show 1 photo chosen by candidate while this information is read aloud

2. Party affiliation history - 25 word limit, provided by candidate

3. Political belief summary - 100 word limit, provided by candidate

4. Most influential historical figure

5. Most passionate issue

6. Favorite quote
I'm agreeing with you here. Actually I got an idea from Bradley that we could invite a campaign representative on for this, make some light conversation. It could also have a little spotlight special on some particular liberty issue that doesn't directly relate to the straw poll -- the idea in general is to get warmed up before things go into high gear. It could also be used as a final push for ticket sales.

I think 12 minutes for the candidate to speak as they choose versus 3 minutes with the MC is a good choice -- the more it's left up to the candidate to get his/her own word out, the less opportunity there is for an MC to skew/bias the results.

Not only is it important that the MC isn't given enough power to be able to game the system, it is important to provide a format that is outwardly and obviously un-gamable.
Exactly. :) To be clear, the candidates have 12 minutes, then there is 3 minutes of talking about them, or the media partner can go to break.

I love the idea of getting the results out immediately, but shouldn't voters have time to research between seeing the videos and making their vote?
It certainly can very from poll to poll, but I say in this case, we should go for it as fast as possible. We'd prevision to extend the vote if there is technical problems or something. I think we'd push on the site for people to do some pre-research.

also i think there should be some sort of opportunity for voters to ask questions, perhaps by message board, chat room, or online MC Moderator with Instant messenger.

like say a LSP Team Member could be online during the SP and be ready with IM up (i suggest trillian because its universal between AOL/Yahoo/MSN/ICQ)

there could be a segment of time alloted where voters can IM their questions the IM Mod can relay the questions to either the MC or directly to the candidates
I like this, but for now want to keep it a simple. It also adds conflict with the media partners - we want people to go to their chat rooms, etc- and then we'd have to monitor all of them, or have a feed from them who pick out the best questions. If things get ironed our early we can look at adding this. It may be best for the pre and post shows too.

ALSO, what do you think about a subsequent online poll as well, display the results on the broadcast randomly through the show?
Not sure I'm understanding... More detail? :)

Thanks! This is going to be a ball. :)

Roxi
07-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I like this, but for now want to keep it a simple. It also adds conflict with the media partners - we want people to go to their chat rooms, etc- and then we'd have to monitor all of them, or have a feed from them who pick out the best questions. If things get ironed our early we can look at adding this. It may be best for the pre and post shows too.

oh yes i see... your right i get excited and my ideas start going all over the place

Not sure I'm understanding... More detail? :)

like maybe on the LSP website we can have an online poll where people can vote on their favorite candidate... yes i know all about polls but it might be interesting to have, and just one more interactive thing to keep people entertained. (kind of like the CNN debate polls)

nayjevin
07-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Candidates could choose to do this on their own websites leading up to the poll.

nayjevin
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
like maybe on the LSP website we can have an online poll where people can vote on their favorite candidate... yes i know all about polls but it might be interesting to have, and just one more interactive thing to keep people entertained. (kind of like the CNN debate polls)

ACK! we're not CNN/FrankLuntz already are we?

:D

Roxi
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
ACK! we're not CNN/FrankLuntz already are we?

:D

hilarious.... no, i hate polls as much as the next guy... i was in NH taunting frank right next to you remember "tell us what to eat frank" :D

but i do think its an addition to the website that lets people interact with the website and gives people an idea of where the candidates stand.

its ron paul people were talking about here, the people who will be voting in this poll are not your average basement dwelling spammers, and we can allow only one vote per IP if we really wanted to... i don't think anyone is going to run out and use every computer they can just to vote up their favorite congressman in our little online poll :p