PDA

View Full Version : We the People vs Viacom

Jamsie 567
07-07-2008, 03:13 PM
They want to see all my user history, posting and all my deleted videos. I believe they want this information to fight a bigger battle and infringe on our civil liberties.

Who will this information go to?

I have decided to boycott VIACOM immediatly. Here is some of their programming. If they want to sue YouTube for 1 billion. I say we stand now and make them really work hard for that 1 billion and run them into the ground.

My opinion is they are an Anti-American organization. I have no problem with following copyright laws but when you dig through my business you have picked a fight with the wrong person. Don't mess with Americans and know your role as an entertainment company!

Make sure you check out Breakthematrix and unplug from this media machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipg70KgHneM

MEDIA NETWORKS

BET NETWORKS
MTV NETWORKS
ATOMFILMS
ADDICTINGGAMES
CMT
COMEDY CENTRAL
GAMETRAILERS
HARMONIX
LOGO
MTV
MTV TR3S
NEOPETS
NICKELODEON - NICK JR.
NICK AT NITE
NOGGIN
PARENTSCONNECT
QUIZILLA
RHAPSODY
SHOCKWAVE
SPIKE TV
THE N
TV LAND
VH1
VIRTUAL WORLDS
XFIRE
FILMED ENTERTAINMENT
PARAMOUNT PICTURES CORP
PARAMOUNT PICTURES
DREAMWORKS STUDIOS
PARAMOUNT VANTAGE
MTV FILMS
NICKELODEON MOVIES
HOME ENTERTAINMENT
GLOBAL REACH

Films

PAST, CURRENT, UPCOMING RELEASES

WAR OF THE WORLDS
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 3
WORLD TRADE CENTER
DREAMGIRLS*
ZODIAC
SHOOTER
SHREK THE THIRD (DreamWorks Animation)
TRANSFORMERS*
HOT ROD
STARDUST
BEE MOVIE (DreamWorks Animation)
BEOWULF
THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES +
CLOVERFIELD
DRILLBIT TAYLOR
STOP-LOSS**
IRON MAN (Marvel Studios)
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
KUNG FU PANDA (DreamWorks Animation)
THE LOVE GURU
CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
STAR TREK

Kludge
07-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Google committed gross negligence (and thus aggression) in not moderating every video before they hosted it to the world.

LittleLightShining
07-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Google committed gross negligence (and thus aggression) in not moderating every video before they hosted it to the world.I totally agree. I really don't see how they're going to pursue action on everyone who's watched an unlicensed video on youtube. How was I supposed to know I wasn't supposed to watch it? It's there, right? There's no disclaimer, is there? Was there?

RideTheDirt
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Supposedly, they will not be going after the users, just collecting info on what videos were viewed by who from where ect. My opinion on the matter is that if someone doesn't give a shit about your product enough to buy it you should come up with a way to drive up sales(better products?!). I know if I really want something I will buy the product to keep the company going. If not; then I'll download it on the internet, listen to it / watch it. Usually I will delete it, just like if I don't like something I buy I return it. If I do like a move I will go buy it. Recently movies have been getting shittier and shittier so the chance that I will buy a movie is pretty slim. They need to STOP suing and write something that isn't something that make me regret wasting two hours of my life on.
What the hell is wrong with people? How the fuck did we all get THIS bad?!?!

They also should STFU because they own MTV! MTV sucks!

Kludge
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
mtv sucks!

+1776.

Jamsie 567
07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I think you guys have some valid points. I believe they are trying to moderate the internet like some sites already do. It don't matter what you post even if it has a song in it. A pop up occurs and says copyright infringment and the video is deleted.

The entertainment business is losing millions because they can't compete with the internet. Fighting YouTube won't help them win the battle. They need to evolve with society and keep the same audience happy. Why don't they create a site just for their programming with a membership fee for unlimited access to their entertainment.

I personally believe if they have movies or programming on YouTube that helps them out. People see a video and it prompts them to buy a movie or rent it.

Does anyone know if Viacom is linked to any political affiliations?

MTV sucks word!

kombayn
07-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Supposedly, they will not be going after the users, just collecting info on what videos were viewed by who from where ect. My opinion on the matter is that if someone doesn't give a shit about your product enough to buy it you should come up with a way to drive up sales(better products?!). I know if I really want something I will buy the product to keep the company going. If not; then I'll download it on the internet, listen to it / watch it. Usually I will delete it, just like if I don't like something I buy I return it. If I do like a move I will go buy it. Recently movies have been getting shittier and shittier so the chance that I will buy a movie is pretty slim. They need to STOP suing and write something that isn't something that make me regret wasting two hours of my life on.
What the hell is wrong with people? How the fuck did we all get THIS bad?!?!

They also should STFU because they own MTV! MTV sucks!

$$$, Power and Control my friend. That's how. Copyright laws need to be re-written, this is outrageous. If I pay DIRECTV for my service and watch say George Lopez on Nick @ Nite decide to record the show and put it up on YouTube? What's the violation? I pay DIRECTV which pays Viacom for the service, so they're already getting paid. Now they want to get paid twice? Same thing with CDs, if I bought one and copied it, why can't I just give it to a friend? It's already be bought and paid for. It's my property now and I should be able to do with it how I please.

Kludge
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Producers have no responsibility to protect their content because consumers have no right to loot it.

They don't have to evolve, corporations need to be punished for allowing publication of material violating property rights and individuals UPLOADING (via Limewire, BitTorrent, Bearshare, Youtube etc.) need to be sued.

Very frankly, looters are simply stealing the property because they know they aren't going to get caught. The government has shown such gross ineptitude in protecting property that... I've written a section coming after (tried 3 times...) that which turns out to be nothing more then an angry and blasphemous rant ;)

mport1
07-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Google committed gross negligence (and thus aggression) in not moderating every video before they hosted it to the world.

Do you realize the cost in doing this? They would have to shut all the videos down.

Magicman
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
MTV Viacom should blame itself for selling out the music to reality television.

They forced people to watch videos on the internet when they disrespected their audience.

mport1
07-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Producers have no responsibility to protect their content because consumers have no right to loot it.

They don't have to evolve, corporations need to be punished for allowing publication of material violating property rights and individuals UPLOADING (via Limewire, BitTorrent, Bearshare, Youtube etc.) need to be sued.

Very frankly, looters are simply stealing the property because they know they aren't going to get caught. The government has shown such gross ineptitude in protecting property that... I've written a section coming after (tried 3 times...) that which turns out to be nothing more then an angry and blasphemous rant ;)

Consider the libertarian anti intellectual property argument if you haven't yet. http://libertariannation.org/a/f31l1.html

Kludge
07-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Consider the libertarian anti intellectual property argument if you haven't yet. http://libertariannation.org/a/f31l1.html

The Communist argument?! :mad:

Yarrrrrr!

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Anything once broadcast over public airwaves is no longer proprietary.
Right???

Kludge
07-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Anything once broadcast over public airwaves is no longer proprietary.
Right???

Sure, but when is it broadcast over public airwaves? When Google chooses to upload the video to others.

yaz
07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
I love a lot of stuff from Viacom, such as Xfire and Comedy Central.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Sure, but when is it broadcast over public airwaves? When Google chooses to upload the video to others.

Well, for songs it happens once it leaves the radio station tower.

Once MTV publicly airs a video for the first time on its channel, I would think that makes it no longer proprietary. If it is uploaded to the net before first airing, then they have an argument.

Kludge
07-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Once MTV publicly airs a video for the first time on its channel, I would think that makes it no longer proprietary. If it is uploaded to the net before first airing, then they have an argument.

MTV doesn't air over public air waves, it goes through private cable lines/satellite

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-07-2008, 08:27 PM
MTV doesn't air over public air waves, it goes through private cable lines/satellite

I'd argue quasi-private. Cables lines are run across public telephone poles or underground sewer systems. Unless they outright buy the land the lines are run on like the early railroads, they don't have 100% private property rights.
And once the episode airs, it may be argued it is now in the public domain

hypnagogue
07-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I continue to disagree with Kludge on this issue. No need to repeat ourselves. You can see this thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=145491) for our positions.

Last I heard, though, Google was requesting time and permission to anonymize the data before turning it over Viacom. I do fault Google for not having done this already. Hopefully they're allowed to provide the data in a form that is not personally identifiable.