PDA

View Full Version : City Upon A Hill:What is behind Sean Hannity's phrase?

Kade
07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Often on Hannity's talk show, you hear about his desire to maintain America, the "greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the Earth", as the "City upon a hill". He did not come up with that himself... as his education level and comprehension is equivalent to that of a cow's chocolate starfish... but it does point out that he is truly a student of Straussian Neo-conservatism, and Calvinistic theocracy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_upon_a_hill

micahnelson
07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Often on Hannity's talk show, you hear about his desire to maintain America, the "greatest, best country God has ever given man on the face of the Earth", as the "City upon a hill". He did not come up with that himself... as his education level and comprehension is equivalent to that of a cow's chocolate starfish... but it does point out that he is truly a student of Straussian Neo-conservatism, and Calvinistic theocracy...

Not really, he is probably making reference to Reagan's speech, or Matt 5:14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;"

The only Strauss he knows makes Jeans. You give him too much credit, you and several million viewers and listeners.

Theocrat
07-07-2008, 02:05 PM

What's your point of this thread, Kade?

Kade
07-07-2008, 02:11 PM
What's your point of this thread, Kade?

To promote my strictly anti-Christian agenda solely to offend you Theocrat... what else?

nate895
07-07-2008, 02:12 PM
We are a city upon a hill. It has just fallen into disrepair.

Kraig
07-07-2008, 03:18 PM
My guess is he doesn't even care and is just catering to his christian audience.

mediahasyou
07-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Atheists are more paranoid than schizophrenics these days.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
i'm agnostic but there's a shitload of wisdom in Jesus' teachings. The dude could not be out-debated and would make one heck of a judge.

IRO-bot
07-08-2008, 10:23 AM

Please elaborate.

And to Theocrat. Perhaps...uhm....he wants to know what is being Seans's phrase? Where did it come from? Why is it used. Is it implying America is a nation blessed by god? Now I am not really well read in the bible but I am pretty sure Jesus wouldn't be down with that.

Theocrat
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Please elaborate.

And to Theocrat. Perhaps...uhm....he wants to know what is being Seans's phrase? Where did it come from? Why is it used. Is it implying America is a nation blessed by god? Now I am not really well read in the bible but I am pretty sure Jesus wouldn't be down with that.

I think Kade already knows what's implied by the phrase "a city upon a hill." As he's mentioned before, Kade likes to prick at us Christians, hopefully to get us to think about the effects of our religious beliefs upon society.

Do I believe that America is (or was) a nation blessed by God? Absolutely (just check out my signature).

IRO-bot
07-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I think Kade already knows what's implied by the phrase "a city upon a hill." As he's mentioned before, Kade likes to prick at us Christians, hopefully to get us to think about the effects of our religious beliefs upon society.

Do I believe that America is (or was) a nation blessed by God? Absolutely (just check out my signature).

Yeah that's just dumb. But have fun. Can you show me where Gob blessed America? Where God put America above other nations? God sponsers popularity contests?

Theocrat
07-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Yeah that's just dumb. But have fun. Can you show me where Gob blessed America? Where God put America above other nations? God sponsers popularity contests?

God has blessed our nation in many ways. Our constitutional government, capitalistic economy, freedom of worship (thus, the establishment of thousands of churches in our country), advances in science and technology, and strong military and defense are some examples of how God has blessed America above most nations.

Having said that, we're seeing now that all of those things are eroding from us because we continually forget God as the source of our blessings, and thus, God is judging our nation by giving us unwise leaders, a failing economy, and even natural disasters. Hopefully, we'll get the wake-up calls, and turn back to God, our giver of life, liberty, property, and prosperity.

And, yes, God does favor nations which honor Him.

IRO-bot
07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
God has blessed our nation in many ways. Our constitutional government, capitalistic economy, freedom of worship (thus, the establishment of thousands of churches in our country), advances in science and technology, and strong military and defense are some examples of how God has blessed America above most nations.

Having said that, we're seeing now that all of those things are eroding from us because we continually forget God as the source of our blessings, and thus, God is judging our nation by giving us unwise leaders, a failing economy, and even natural disasters. Hopefully, we'll get the wake-up calls, and turn back to God, our giver of life, liberty, property, and prosperity.

And, yes, God does favor nations which honor Him.

Wow you are scary.

Theocrat
07-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow you are scary.

If you think I'm scary, you should see what my Heavenly Father can do. ;)

IRO-bot
07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
If you think I'm scary, you should see what my Heavenly Father can do. ;)

Ok. Show me. :D

Theocrat
07-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Ok. Show me. :D

Oh, trust me. You've already witnessed what He can do.

SeanEdwards
07-08-2008, 11:09 AM

With good reason.

satchelmcqueen
07-08-2008, 01:17 PM
My guess is he doesn't even care and is just catering to his christian audience.

exacto!