PDA

View Full Version : As Gas Prices Soar, Elderly Face Cuts in Aid

WarDog
07-06-2008, 04:14 PM
SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. — Early last month, Jeanne Fair, 62, got her first hot meals delivered to her home in this lake town in the sparsely populated southwestern part of the state. Then after two deliveries the meals stopped because gas prices had made the delivery too expensive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/05/us/05elderly.html?ex=1372996800&en=df83d10301b28f02&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg

guys check your Elderly neighbors make sure there ok

Kludge
07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
"Without an aide, he said, he would have to put his wife in a nursing home, and probably need to live in one himself."

angelatc
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I am in the middle of a huge argument over this stupid article on another forum I frequent.

The point of this article is what - that the government should do more?

That the price of everything is going up?

It sucks to be old and sick?

Kludge
07-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I am in the middle of a huge argument over this stupid article on another forum I frequent.

The point of this article is what - that the government should do more?

That the price of everything is going up?

It sucks to be old and sick?

"Mr. Harman said that he thought a previous aide might have abused his wife, but that Mrs. Harman was comfortable with Ms. Clark. On a recent afternoon, Mrs. Harman called Ms. Clark “honey”; Ms. Clark, walking Mrs. Harman to the bathroom, kissed her nose. Mrs. Harman said she was going home. Ms. Clark said, “You are home, silly.”"

That paragraph made it difficult to take the article seriously...

angelatc
07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
"Without an aide, he said, he would have to put his wife in a nursing home, and probably need to live in one himself."

Don't they have 5 kids?

That's a health care company - for profit - that pays a woman $9 an hour to tend to them. Suddenly the price of gas means that it's no longer worth $9 an hour to drive way out there. Waah.

This type scenario reminds me of the type of crap that Reagan cut out of the government. (Although the operations described here don't get federal funds.)

Omphfullas Zamboni
07-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Hi,

It seems to me the article illustrates valid concerns over the relationship between gasoline and in-home care. I did not read the article, fully; are any solutions described?

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,
Omphfullas Zamboni