PDA

View Full Version : Money bomb a dud?

Oyate
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
This is a link to an article up on Nolan Chart.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Find-Freedom.htm?At=035426

I guess the Fourth of July Freedom Slate '08 Money Bomb didn't work as marvelously as some of our previous efforts.

The author supplies numerous possible reasons for this, from good 'ol American apathy to television. It indicates a higher degree of hopelessness than I'd like to see. But the author touched on some reasons I think are accurate. To sum up what I agree with:

1. We're nearly exhausted.
2. Many of us have donated to the point of serious financial trouble.
3. Momentum was seriously effected by Dr. Paul stepping out of the race.

Additionally,

4. something not touched on in the article, but about half our strength came from folks who could get excited about a candidate, but they have no stomach for deeper activism.
5. The MSM has successfully isolated us and characterized us as wackos.

I can't guess about the future of the movement, but we certainly did reach a lot of new people. They aren't going to un-learn everything they learned with us.

Meanwhile, all of the longterm projects in the movement continue. G. Edward Griffin, Bob Schultz, RTR, Blackbox Voting, the Spychips people, all of this work continues unabated.

In reality, I think we're stronger now than ever. Able to raise millions in a single day we are no longer. But compare the movement now to 2 years ago and we're light years ahead.

fedup100
07-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I warned over and over again to stop with the "BOMB'S". People were and are bombed out and broke. It just makes us look bad.

Oyate
07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
I warned over and over again to stop with the "BOMB'S". People were and are bombed out and broke. It just makes us look bad.

Yeah, I have to admit, I'm getting tired of seeing posts like "Everyone MUST donate NOW NOW NOW!". I'm totally tapped out. And by the time the march in DC is done I'll be ready for a long overdue break. My business is suffering badly because all the time and money I'd promote it with goes into the movement.

And trust me, web technologies are not the lucrative field they used to be. The whole industry is getting shipped overseas. Even in my little mountain town, there are ordinary people doing business with Indian and Pakistani developers. They work for $5/hour, so why shouldn't people shop overseas?

Loyalty to "buying American" has been replaced by "the bottom line".

Lucky thing the wife is semi-tolerant of all this action because this movement eats relationships as well as money.

I'm sorry to hear of Kent Snyder's family burdened with his medical bills. In more ways than one. I'm in the same boat--unable to get insured with some serious medical issues to deal with. I don't want to burden my family with hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills. When I get too sick to work about all I can do is lie down and wait to die.

SLSteven
07-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Unlike the Feds, we have to have the cash up front to pay for our bombs.

tonesforjonesbones
07-06-2008, 02:38 PM
No kidding...I quit about the third time a money bomb was announced. You can OVER KILL an idea...too much of a good thing, it becomes a cliche. I would rather go and buy merch from the candidates website because that counts too and you get something lol. That's what I started doing after the second money bomb. Every time you turn around there is some sort of "chip in" even down to granny 's for gas money. People are just burned out on the idea...come up with something new. tones

ItsTime
07-06-2008, 02:51 PM
poor planning and management of the moneybomb is what cause it to fail. 20k is something way bigger than being money bombed out. That is just 2.15 dollars per member on BTM. But I do agree the idea of money bombs is getting old.

Kludge
07-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Excellent analysis Oyate...

+....15

Feelgood
07-06-2008, 03:44 PM

+1

constituent
07-06-2008, 03:48 PM

I guess the Fourth of July Freedom Slate '08 Money Bomb didn't work as marvelously as some of our previous efforts.

The author supplies numerous possible reasons for this, from good 'ol American apathy to television. It indicates a higher degree of hopelessness than I'd like to see. But the author touched on some reasons I think are accurate. To sum up what I agree with:

Additionally,

4. something not touched on in the article, but about half our strength came from folks who could get excited about a candidate, but they have no stomach for deeper activism.

I can't guess about the future of the movement, but we certainly did reach a lot of new people. They aren't going to un-learn everything they learned with us.

Meanwhile, all of the longterm projects in the movement continue. G. Edward Griffin, Bob Schultz, RTR, Blackbox Voting, the Spychips people, all of this work continues unabated.

In reality, I think we're stronger now than ever. Able to raise millions in a single day we are no longer. But compare the movement now to 2 years ago and we're light years ahead.

Maybe it wasn't us (why are people so averse to realizing/admitting this)?

i can't help but lol at this point.

this is pitiful.

ItsTime
07-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Maybe it wasn't us (why are people so averse to realizing/admitting this)?

i can't help but lol at this point.

this is pitiful.

Because this movement is just like every other. We are trying to tuck our heads in the sand and not look at the real problems. Its hard to realize our heros are no hearos at all. And that we might need to look else where to push us over this hill.

revolutionman
07-06-2008, 04:55 PM
i like this thread, because its not simply empty criticism, there is an attempt to examine the "failure" so that we can learn from it.

Truth is candidates got their hands on money they did not have before, so it was no failure, it simply did not preform to the expectations of some critics. They cant all hit six and seven figures, we're not corporate America donating to Democrats and Neocon Republicans, we're working class folk for the most part. $20,000 is a lot considering that people have been donating to cause after cause, candidate after candidate, funding project after project for like 8 months now.

Peace&Freedom
07-06-2008, 06:24 PM
The reason we are tapped out is because with Paul's decision to not go further with his campaign for President (as in running as an independent), there were no new people to bring into his movement as campaign donors. Without the momentum of his continuing candidacy, it fell back to the hardcore of his supporters to keep giving to him, or to congressional candidates. No wonder we're bushed. My suspicion is if Paul had continued running, monies would have continued to come in (from new or fresh people) to the tune of $5 to $10 million a month, and many of those newer supporters would have donated to the other candidates/projects as well.

BKom
07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
The reason we are tapped out is because with Paul's decision to not go further with his campaign for President (as in running as an independent), there were no new people to bring into his movement as campaign donors. Without the momentum of his continuing candidacy, it fell back to the hardcore of his supporters to keep giving to him, or to congressional candidates. No wonder we're bushed. My suspicion is if Paul had continued running, monies would have continued to come in (from new or fresh people) to the tune of $5 to $10 million a month, and many of those newer supporters would have donated to the other candidates/projects as well.

I think that's unlikely to have worked. Money follows votes. And we didn't get enough votes to find new donors. Getting our butts kicked in the early primaries and caucuses was fatal. And just so's you know, Ron never wanted nor believed he could win the job.

We need to focus on a handful of really great candidates for congress across the country and try to push them as much as possible. BJ Lawson may be one, I don't know. We have at least one here in Nevada, running against an R incumbent, James Smack.

With concentration of our resources, we could actually make a major difference. But if we don't do that, we run the risk of losing every race. In fact, it's very likely. We'll get a bunch of Sabrin candidacies, long on press releases, short on thoughtfulness and accomplishment (Yes, I also like Murray and gave him some money. Not the point.)

Maybe the people from Break The Matrix should run a contest. Best commercials and press releases from the top 4 RP candidates across the country get a fund raising weekend push with national advertising. That may get people out of their slumber.

Brian Kominsky

AJ Antimony
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Money bomb after money bomb after money bomb of the exact same group of people isn't going to do jack shit no matter how much Ron Paul raised.

Ron Paul raised millions because his donors didn't already burn $2300.

Sooner or later these candidates are going to have to raise money the old fashioned.

constituent
07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Money bomb after money bomb after money bomb of the exact same group of people isn't going to do jack shit no matter how much Ron Paul raised.

Ron Paul raised millions because his donors didn't already burn $2300.

Sooner or later these candidates are going to have to raise money the old fashioned.

..or realize that there is more to online activism and the promotion of ideas than a (metaphorical) banner and "lather, rinse, repeat"

i don't see it happening though.

Because this movement is just like every other. We are trying to tuck our heads in the sand and not look at the real problems. Its hard to realize our heros are no hearos at all. And that we might need to look else where to push us over this hill.

james1844
07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Define "dud".

Additionally,

SnappleLlama
07-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Seriously, I'm broke. I wasn't able to contribute, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested. I just need the next paycheck to come along...