PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION!!! Republicans who got a Fred Thompson beg letter!!!

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Save it!!

I am asking all Republicans opposed to Fred Thompson to save the most recent beg letter he sent out. From my research, it appears his appeal for contributions might just be a violation of FEC rules. I need to contact the FEC to be sure. One way or another, I, as a Republican, and my father in Jersey, who got the same letter, will be filing a complaint with the FEC. I do not feel it is right, or even legal, for an "unannouced candidate" to raise money for a supposedly "non-existent" campaign.

If it truly is a violation, EVERY solicitation would be a violation, and he could be fined for EVERY letter sent out.

However, if it is legal, I think I'm going to announce I'm forming an exploratory committee, and ask people for $2300.

quickmike
08-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Save it!!

I am asking all Republicans opposed to Fred Thompson to save the most recent beg letter he sent out. From my research, it appears his appeal for contributions might just be a violation of FEC rules. I need to contact the FEC to be sure. One way or another, I, as a Republican, and my father in Jersey, who got the same letter, will be filing a complaint with the FEC. I do not feel it is right, or even legal, for an "unannouced candidate" to raise money for a supposedly "non-existent" campaign.

If it truly is a violation, EVERY solicitation would be a violation, and he could be fined for EVERY letter sent out.

However, if it is legal, I think I'm going to announce I'm forming an exploratory committee, and ask people for $2300.

If I were you, I would contact a University law dept as well. They will research this for free in many cases. If this is found to be a violation, I would contact my local newspaper/TV station too, as soon as I found out for sure.

angelatc
08-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Is it a snail mail letter, or is it an email?

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Snail mail.

purepaloma
08-28-2007, 08:43 AM
I think there is better things to be using your time and efforts on.

Original_Intent
08-28-2007, 08:52 AM
I think there is better things to be using your time and efforts on.

I think too many people have opinions about how other people should spend their time.

EvilEngineer
08-28-2007, 08:58 AM
The sad thing is that Fred literally helped right these new rules and regulations on campaign financing. Anyone smell something fishy about that? Someone needs to check for a Fred clause hidden in the legislation that he didn't allow himself this privilege.

akovacs
08-28-2007, 09:43 AM
This has the danger of giving him free publicity (This WILL be on the news). It will also give RP bad PR since it will look like we're trying to keep him out of the race (Sour grapes). This will not keep him out of the race, and the average joe won't care.

Now if you report it and the FEC does all the action, OK, fine. But please don't do this if you have to do it yourself.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-28-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm not doing this as a Ron Paul supporter. I'm doing it as a loyal Republican "soldier" who doesn't want the electoral process spoiled.

All I'm going to do is file a complaint and hopefully the FEC will follow up based upon that complaint, hopefully times thousands.

stevedasbach
08-28-2007, 09:50 AM
As long as the letter is clear that he is raising money for his exploratory committee, to test the waters for a possible presidential campaign, it is legal. He has to collect the same information, is subject to the same limits, and has to report all contributions to the FEC once he declares.

billm317
08-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I definitely say do whatever you wanna do. I don't think you'll get far. There's been more than a little media coverage on him and his campaign, so I bet he's quadruple checking the laws to make sure he is within the legal realm.

My opinion is that he has a slim chance at the GOP bid and all he's going to do is split up the neocon votes, which is a great thing for Ron Paul.

Razmear
08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Any chance of you scanning the letter and posting a pic here?

eb

Shink
08-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I think too many people have opinions about how other people should spend their time.

WE HAVE A WINNER! GREAT POST.

njandrewg
08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
yeah definetly post it here

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Any chance of you scanning the letter and posting a pic here?

I'm not in the 21st century yet. Don't have that ability, unfortunately.

slantedview
08-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Save it!!

I think you might be correct.

What I am pretty sure of, he CANNOT use funds raised BEFORE he declared for his campaign after he declares, and from what I've read, he has a lot of funds that he's not going to be able to use.

inibo
08-28-2007, 12:12 PM

I think too many people have opinions on how many people have opinions about how other people should spend their time.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Carry on.

Pay no attention to the man behind the keyboard.

(Oh, right. They are giving me money. Perhaps I should at least act like I'm doing something to earn it.)

angelatc
08-28-2007, 12:38 PM

What I am pretty sure of, he CANNOT use funds raised BEFORE he declared for his campaign after he declares, and from what I've read, he has a lot of funds that he's not going to be able to use.

If history is any indicator, he has amassed legal bills with his son's firm that will just about equal the amount that he raised.

And his people will be proud that he was able to skirt the rules he designed.

Bro.Butch
08-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I definitely say do whatever you wanna do. I don't think you'll get far. There's been more than a little media coverage on him and his campaign, so I bet he's quadruple checking the laws to make sure he is within the legal realm.

My opinion is that he has a slim chance at the GOP bid and all he's going to do is split up the neocon votes, which is a great thing for Ron Paul.

Bravo Bill, someone who sees the big picture. Another fear/warmonger shouldn't harm RP's bid in the least. It only splits the votes more making it easier for RP to get more delegates.

From what I understand "Big TAXRAISER" Huckabee is still in the "exploratory committee" stage. That's what I read on the FEC sight in July while I was reseaching his doners. Huckabee has received far more media than he deserves. http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/08/01/us/politics/20070802FOX_GRAPHIC.html And that is interesting to me, I don't see the attraction. A college trained southern preacher definitely can talk, but what is he saying ?

Hope you nail Fred, just don't use RP's name like you said and it can't hurt us in anyway and can help. Last week a liberal contacted the FEC on him and his practices, so maybe they will do something with more complaints...

tnvoter
08-28-2007, 04:18 PM
yeah i got that too. I lol'd.

mtmedlin
08-28-2007, 04:23 PM

yes, he can. There is a law that allows a rollover of funds to be used as long as the candidate runs for the seat that he originally solicited funds. If he were to decide to run for senate he couldnt.

Bravo Bill, someone who sees the big picture. Another fear/warmonger shouldn't harm RP's bid in the least. It only splits the votes more making it easier for RP to get more delegates.

From what I understand "Big TAXRAISER" Huckabee is still in the "exploratory committee" stage. That's what I read on the FEC sight in July while I was reseaching his doners. Huckabee has received far more media than he deserves. http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2007/08/01/us/politics/20070802FOX_GRAPHIC.html And that is interesting to me, I don't see the attraction. A college trained southern preacher definitely can talk, but what is he saying ?

from what I have read, he filed the paperwork and is a full blown candidate.

WannaBfree
08-28-2007, 04:41 PM

exactly what Kent Snyder said in an interview - "The more the merrier".