PDA

View Full Version : What about a statue dedicated to Ron Paul in DC

painter4Ron Paul
07-04-2008, 02:24 PM
It

MGreen
07-04-2008, 02:26 PM
As much as we all love and admire Paul, hero worship is rarely a good thing. And we should probably make sure we throw off the 'kook' label before commissioning a god-like statue of our leader.

painter4Ron Paul
07-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Erecting a statue of a great man is not hero worship. I am not talking about some massive 50 foot tall eyesore but a tasteful 10 foot statue.

Jeremy
07-04-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm guessing something like this wouldn't happen until he... dare I say... passes on :(

asgardshill
07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Nice idea, but naah. Statues are attractive nuisances; they're magnets for graffiti artists and wiseacres who do things like paint its butt gold or put silly hats on it during sports playoffs. Not to mention what the local pigeon population would do to it - hardly a fitting legacy for Ron Paul. Let's use the money to get more freedom candidates elected first, then worry about memoralizing true achievement in these cynical times.

painter4Ron Paul
07-04-2008, 02:58 PM
George Bush senior has a statue in downtown Houston and he aint dead. I like statues.

Matt Collins
07-04-2008, 03:24 PM
SEE THIS THREAD:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=63756&highlight=statue

RonPaulFanInGA
07-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I strongly support a Ron Paul statue, but I don't think it's going to happen. Those things likely cost a lot of money.

chiefsmurph
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Nice idea, but naah. Statues are attractive nuisances; they're magnets for graffiti artists and wiseacres who do things like paint its butt gold or put silly hats on it during sports playoffs. Not to mention what the local pigeon population would do to it - hardly a fitting legacy for Ron Paul. Let's use the money to get more freedom candidates elected first, then worry about memoralizing true achievement in these cynical times.

I see it like this: If its a fitting legacy for Washington, Lincoln, Franklin and all the others...why not Ron Paul?

JMann
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I think a statue in Ron Paul's hometown or district would be more appropriate than something in DC. I doubt you would ever get permission to put a memorial in DC unless you found a piece of private property which would be almost impossible.

I think the only hope to have anything in DC would be if CATO (which many have problems with) put up a monument to all the great libertarian thinkers and/or politicians.

LibertyEagle
07-04-2008, 03:57 PM
I think the only hope to have anything in DC would be if CATO (which many have problems with) put up a monument to all the great libertarian thinkers and/or politicians.

Heh. As long as you're ok with having Dr. Paul next to a statue of Giuliani, the great Libertarian thinker :rolleyes:. Because that is who CATO was backing this last presidential election, weren't they? I'm not thinkin' Paul would like being associated in that way with 'ol Rudy. :p

revolutionman
07-04-2008, 04:04 PM
i think a statue would be a waste of resources.

syborius
07-04-2008, 05:45 PM
about to pass resolutions of a total embargo on Iran and you people are discussing complete non-sense. Waste of time, money, resources, not to mention the man is still breathing, walking around and fighting very hard to prevent WWIII. Maybe time to rethink some priorities.

asgardshill
07-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I see it like this: If its a fitting legacy for Washington, Lincoln, Franklin and all the others...why not Ron Paul?

Because I feel that Washington's, Lincoln's and Franklin's legacy are best remembered on paper and in our hearts, not in bronze or marble. We still have a "war" to win, and diverting money toward yet another pigeon toilet in a city already hip-deep in pigeon toilets is foolish. Just my opinion.