PDA

View Full Version : Melaleuca distilling - free trees?

Sandra
07-04-2008, 01:31 PM
In Florida their forestry management program is eradicating the paperbark tree, which is an invasive species. The other name for this tree is melaleuca quinquenervia. Although it is a different species of the Australian tree, it still produces the same potent oil (tea tree oil) as the Australian variety. I've read that Florida is trying to get the oil producers interested in harvesting these trees for oil production. Are there any distillers out ther that are knowledable in extracting oils from these trees as they seem to be giving them away!

Dr.3D
07-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Steam extraction:
Typically, the finely divided material being distilled is placed into a container and steam from another container is allowed to pass through that container and it's contents. The resulting vapor from the heating is then piped into a condenser where the steam is cooled and turned back into liquid water. The liquid water leaving the condenser is then captured in another container where the oils that were extracted in the steam extraction process are allowed to settle to the top. Once the oils are on the top of the water, it is a simple task to draw them off.

Liquefied gas extraction:
Other methods that are used to separate the oils from the plant material are where a liquefied gas is passed through the finely divided material and then allowed to evaporate leaving behind the oils.

At least that is how many of the distilled essential oils from plants are separated from the other plant material.

Amy would probably know more about these processes than I do.

amy31416
07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Steam extraction:
Typically, the finely divided material being distilled is placed into a container and steam from another container is allowed to pass through that container and it's contents. The resulting vapor from the heating is then piped into a condenser where the steam is cooled and turned back into liquid water. The liquid water leaving the condenser is then captured in another container where the oils that were extracted in the steam extraction process are allowed to settle to the top. Once the oils are on the top of the water, it is a simple task to draw them off.

Liquefied gas extraction:
Other methods that are used to separate the oils from the plant material are where a liquefied gas is passed through the finely divided material and then allowed to evaporate leaving behind the oils.

At least that is how many of the distilled essential oils from plants are separated from the other plant material.

Amy would probably know more about these processes than I do.

I know plenty about extractions and tea tree oil is expensive, so if there's anyone here who plans on doing this, I'd be glad to lend some advice. Unfortunately, FL is too far away for me to transport the trees to do it myself. It could be a reasonably lucrative venture for someone with access to some equipment and a truck.

Sandra
07-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Distilling is an important process to learn for everyone I suppose. We used to purify water that way. Getting life saving oils from plant materials would also be important.

Maybe we should have a sticky for distilling!