PDA

View Full Version : A return to a national speed limit?

filmgeek
07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
WASHINGTON - An influential Republican senator suggested Thursday that Congress might want to consider reimposing a national speed limit to save gasoline and, in turn possibly ease fuel prices.
ADVERTISEMENT

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to look into what speed limit would provide optimum gasoline efficiency given current technology. He said he wants to know if the administration might support efforts in Congress to require a lower speed limit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080703/ap_on_go_co/warner_speed_limit

So, if implemented, would this make speeding a felony?

I have other commentary on this idea, but its loaded, mainly, with f-bombs. :mad:

orafi
07-04-2008, 09:18 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080703/ap_on_go_co/warner_speed_limit

So, if implemented, would this make speeding a felony?

I have other commentary on this idea, but its loaded, mainly, with f-bombs. :mad:

Ahh, you can only imagine how much chaos this will cause and how much it will slow down our economy even more.

Politicians are idiots :mad:

HOLLYWOOD
07-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Yes, We MUST (FORCED UPON US) once again, to Drive 55. Heck let's make it 45!

We need to save as much OIL as possible for CHINA and INDIA! Let's DOUBLE the fines for speeding and drum up some new law, like; American's Preservation Act, which list anyone speeding as an Energy Terrorist, which means they can confiscate all your vehicles, sell and pocket the cash at auction.

Anti Federalist
07-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Yes, We MUST (FORCED UPON US) once again, to Drive 55. Heck let's make it 45!

We need to save as much OIL as possible for CHINA and INDIA! Let's DOUBLE the fines for speeding and drum up some new law, like; American's Preservation Act, which list anyone speeding as an Energy Terrorist, which means they can confiscate all your vehicles, sell and pocket the cash at auction.

For fuck's sake Hollywood, don't give 'em ideas.:mad:

JosephTheLibertarian
07-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I never understood speed limits. For public safety? Hm. but I think it does affect the economy in the long term, people can't get around as fast as they normally would with higher or no posted speed limits.

HOLLYWOOD
07-04-2008, 09:50 AM
For fuck's sake Hollywood, don't give 'em ideas.:mad:

HeHe...

You know... it's probably in the works! :(

But ANOTHER SCAM I hear... California wants to put everyone's home on a Smart Energy GRID, which will allow them to raise/lower settings remotely in your home, during peak power demands.

Of Course they say it will be voluntary, and they will give you a discount on POWER, if you "SIGN-UP. IN REALITY... there's no discount, they will PENALIZE those who DON'T COMPLY, with higher energy cost.

THIS SCAMS as well as others, are in the works! Just ask the NSA & DIA, they have records of all the communications recorded!

JosephTheLibertarian
07-04-2008, 09:55 AM
HeHe...

But ANOTHER SCAM I hear... California wants to put everyone's home on a Smart Energy GRID, which will allow them to raise/lower settings remotely in your home, during peak power demands.

Of Course they say it will be voluntary, and they will give you a discount on POWER, if you "SIGN-UP. IN REALITY... there's no discount, they will PENALIZE those who DON'T COMPLY, with higher energy cost.

THIS SCAMS as well as others, are in the works! Just ask the NSA & DIA, they have records of all the communications recorded!

hmm. If true I would probably have to say "no" to that. No thanks. How would they force people to opt in anyhow?

FindLiberty
07-04-2008, 10:02 AM
55MPH limit? Does this apply to me while driving my new Hydrogen Fuel Cell car?

How about ZERO MPH for all other cars, or let gasoline prices rise via free market supply and demand?

Crappy ideas abound:

Maybe a computer chip that gives you a nice gas discount if you drive real slow (and don't get rear ended in traffic or near a Red Light Camera Trap) and file a 1040 tax return on time? How about a speed exemption is you support the war(s)? Drive only on prime number days or odd/even license plate number days?

What's that about 55 MPH and safety?
Was it "Libertarianism: A Primer by David Boaz"
or was it "What It Means to Be a Libertarian by Charles Murray"
that reviewed the 55 MPH speed limit and showed a graph...?

When did "we" decide to scrap freedom altogether?

Vote 'em all out of office ASAP!

Anti Federalist
07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
HeHe...

I'm sure it is, in the works that is.:mad:

Dr.3D
07-04-2008, 10:23 AM
The last time they did that, I had a hard time getting any kind of good mileage from my car.
When I would put it into fifth gear the engine would buck because I was only going 55 mph.

Many cars were not designed to be as efficient at 55 as they are and 70.

Maybe it would be better to have a bumper sticker issued for each type of car that tells the maximum efficient speed it is capable of. Then the police could just read the bumper sticker and issue tickets to those who are exceeding the maximum efficient speed for their particular vehicle.

Edit: I guess the Hummers would have a zero on their sticker. :D

JosephTheLibertarian
07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
The government should stop maintaining the roads.

Dr.3D
07-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I guess if they were bumpy enough, people would have to slow down anyway. :D

filmgeek
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM

As a fellow New Jersey resident, I must say that our state government has already stopped maintaining our roads. :p

(hey, Corzine needs a new shore house. ;) )

HOLLYWOOD
07-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah... New Jersey... the new TAXECHUCETTS too!

Time to Log off and watch NASCAR BURN a few thousand gallons of precious fuel and add to the Carbon Count in the atmosphere and drop my IQ a few notches!

Watch the NASCAR show fly Our WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION over a Sporting event... burning even MORE FUEL! Sometimes they have them
from BASES CLEAR ACROSS the country our even outside the US! Way to Go Clowns, every efficient and considerate.

The HYPOCRISY in this COUNTRY!

We're back to the BRITISH rule of LAW: The HAVES and the HAVE NOTS!

What did the Defense Department spend on FUELS last year? Something like $15 BILLION

DISGUSTING!

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-04-2008, 12:48 PM
What did the Defense Department spend on FUELS last year? Something like $15 BILLION

They're still called the "defense" department at this point?

shaunish
07-04-2008, 12:58 PM
i read somewhere that the optimum driving speed for fuel efficiency is between 30-40 mph depending on the coefficient of friction for your car.

its completely ridiculous that the government would force us to conserve fuel, i mean its my $100 i put in the tank, i can use it how i want.

they should merely suggest that people drive that speed, and maybe make a "low speed" travel lane for those that feel inclined to drive at half the speed everyone else does.

Time for Change
07-04-2008, 01:32 PM
it is easier to photograph and log the drivers at lower speeds.
Less blur.

Dont believe it?

ChickenHawk
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
What's funny is that they would think laws actually do anything. I don't think people drive any faster now then they did when the limit was 55. The 55 limit was a joke that was widely ignored. The entire state of Montana gave the Feds the proverbial finger with their 5 dollar fines.

muh_roads
07-04-2008, 02:10 PM
This is so stupid. There is no shortage of gasoline. Solve the dollar crisis, it has little to do with consumption.

T-K
07-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Haha lol:D good one

syborius
07-04-2008, 02:56 PM
The last time they did that, I had a hard time getting any kind of good mileage from my car.
When I would put it into fifth gear the engine would buck because I was only going 55 mph.

Many cars were not designed to be as efficient at 55 as they are and 70.

Maybe it would be better to have a bumper sticker issued for each type of car that tells the maximum efficient speed it is capable of. Then the police could just read the bumper sticker and issue tickets to those who are exceeding the maximum efficient speed for their particular vehicle.

Edit: I guess the Hummers would have a zero on their sticker. :D

this satire may very well become reality soon, hell, we all do comply with the retarded smog checks and such.....like good lil sheep.

syborius
07-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Less blur.

Dont believe it?

haha good point, including face recognition, we are definitely delving into "sick" territory.

Paulitician
07-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Less blur.

Dont believe it?
I don't believe that has anything to do with the government wanting a national speed limit, yeah.

I think a national speed limit is stupid for several reasons, but I do admit it could help the situation.

NewFederalist
07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I believe this is a brilliant idea! I also believe we should ration gasoline to 10 gallon purchases every other day. Now THAT would solve the problem. Oh, by the way... Congress should mandate all automobiles (car, trucks, SUVs and any new class of vehicle devised within the next 50 years) should get a minimum of 35 mpg city and 45 mpg highway by the year 2012 (when the ancient Incas thought the world would come to an end anyway) AND all vehicles on the road at that time must meet the new standard of pay stiff fines. This will work, guys. This will solve the problem. We don't need to drill for no more stinking oil... we just won't use any. (Please do not share this with any member of Congress... they might take it seriously!)

acptulsa
07-07-2008, 07:26 AM
During those bad old days, they were all state laws. This issue is one of many that made a libertarian of me back before you wonderful people made it popular. While the northeast corridor was enjoying a "double nickle" (55) speed limit quite well suited to their conditions at the time, western drivers were falling asleep at the wheel--day and night--and driving off the road. Ask any old western highway patrolman.

They were state laws. The federal government levied federal gas taxes to get the interstate system done and make the states consider it as big a priority as they did. Do what we say or we'll take all this tax revenue we collected in your state and give it to your neighboring states. And even though the interstate is quite complete and they no longer need to make the states say uncle to ensure that the road is continuous and contiguous, the tax remains because the federal government doesn't give up power. And sure enough, Nixon was able to use it to make the states cry uncle concerning 55 mph.

A national speed limit is unConstitutional and that damned federal gas tax needs to go!!

weslinder
07-07-2008, 07:35 AM

Ever since they've been in perpetual war. Back when it was the Department of War, we actually exercised a little restraint.

mconder
07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
There is no way in hell, I will ever drive 55 though the middle of the Nevada desert or through Wyoming. That is gay.

mediahasyou
07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Optimum fuel efficiency for your car is as fast as it goes and as slow as it goes.

Anything else is a lie.

constituent
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
They were state laws. The federal government levied federal gas taxes to get the interstate system done and make the states consider it as big a priority as they did. Do what we say or we'll take all this tax revenue we collected in your state and give it to your neighboring states. And even though the interstate is quite complete and they no longer need to make the states say uncle to ensure that the road is continuous and contiguous, the tax remains because the federal government doesn't give up power. And sure enough, Nixon was able to use it to make the states cry uncle concerning 55 mph.

A national speed limit is unConstitutional and that damned federal gas tax needs to go!!

The first paragraph is a great talking point!

HOLLYWOOD
07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Just look to see WHO GAINS or WHO PROFITS from the changes and/or Mandates.

There's the true motive!

The mass transit system in this country is by far, the worst in the western worlds. While we've been systematically through competing business (AUTO/TIRE/GAS/Etc Corporations) or due to profit/loss DISMANTLING the Mass Transit systems for the past 60 years.

What's now in place are a 100 different systems and billing schemes...

Why don't the BAFOONS in Washington fix that, before imposing more MANDATES and LAWS on the PEOPLE.