PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh! RP wants volunteers for new website!

Ian A.
07-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Anyone with skills designing websites are needed to design a rally website. It's a contest to see who can design the best one. The winner doesn't have to manage the site, but he gets a few rewards in the end. =P

I have no skill with websites, but it sounds like a b*tchin' idea! Check it out here: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=123

szczebrzeszyn
07-03-2008, 01:29 PM
US citizens only? :)

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
um yeah, millions of dollars and they can't get something designed?

Is there a way to see who is actually running this ship?

Nirvikalpa
07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I might do this... haven't decided yet. I know I could make a nice design template, it's just figuring out what to include (vague, very vague on what they want and don't want).

Ian A.
07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
NewYear, have you seen the campaign's You Tube videos? They suck. What about the official TV ads vs. the grassroots ads? The grassroots always do creative stuff way better. Just because the campaign isn't artistic, doesn't mean they can't manage a campaign.

I think it has more heart that the grassroots are involved.

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 01:48 PM

:rolleyes:

Tarzan
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM

http://www.apeculture.com/images/gillskip.gif

DeadtoSin
07-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Oh I get it. See, you were making a joke because you think your ideas are the best and CFL is run by a bunch of doofuses. Good one. :rolleyes:

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
I see the "bitch and moan/tear down everything CFL is doing" crew is out in force here today.

Love that CFL is doing this, myself - FINALLY they can interact with the grassroots!

:)

NightOwl
07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
I see the "bitch and moan/tear down everything CFL is doing" crew is out in force here today.

Love that CFL is doing this, myself - FINALLY they can interact with the grassroots!

The CFL seems to be in a lose-lose with some people. If they did it themselves, there'd be hollering about why they're not connecting with the grassroots. When they do connect with the grassroots, the complaint is they're not doing it themselves. Come on, people.

angelatc
07-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Sigh.

And yet, when the presidential campaign disclosed they had spent money for website design, the grassroots crabbed because that was something they could have had for free....:rolleyes:

constituent
07-03-2008, 02:04 PM
what's this gig pay?

constituent
07-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Sigh.

When the campaign disclosed they had spent money for website design, the grassroots crabbed because that was something they could have had for free....:rolleyes:

i know that's right.

seriously though, what's it pay?

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 02:06 PM
The CFL seems to be in a lose-lose with some people. If they did it themselves, there'd be hollering about why they're not connecting with the grassroots. When they do connect with the grassroots, the complaint is they're not doing it themselves. Come on, people.

Some here have the mindset, "If I can't RUN IT, I will try to RUIN IT."

The way I see it, they're not here for the freedom movement. They're here against it.

JMO, YMMV.

;)

MRoCkEd
07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
i know that's right.

seriously though, what's it pay?
autographed book and $250

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Sigh.

And yet, when the presidential campaign disclosed they had spent money for website design, the grassroots crabbed because that was something they could have had for free....:rolleyes:

now if they were offering 40k for this I can understand that point bud.

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Some here have the mindset, "If I can't RUN IT, I will try to RUIN IT."

The way I see it, they're not here for the freedom movement. They're here against it.

JMO, YMMV.

;)

No my point is simple, they are getting people on their team correct? to do the many functions which I think makes sense. They have 7+ bloggers but not a single designer? I am just saying that the grassroots people they are hiring for the cfl should be assets to the team itself and it blows my mind that out of ALL of those people they never thought to get a designer.

I am NOT against this, I am just not getting the point and wanted to see others thoughts hence the "or is it just me".

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 02:19 PM
No my point is simple, they are getting people on their team correct? to do the many functions which I think makes sense. They have 7+ bloggers but not a single designer? I am just saying that the grassroots people they are hiring for the cfl should be assets to the team itself and it blows my mind that out of ALL of those people they never thought to get a designer.

I am NOT against this, I am just not getting the point and wanted to see others thoughts hence the "or is it just me".

It's just YOU. ;)

lol...

Seriously - It seems to me that CFL is using this as a way to connect with the grassroots - something that the law prohibited the campaign from doing, and something we complained about all the time!

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
It's just YOU. ;)

lol...

Seriously - It seems to me that CFL is using this as a way to connect with the grassroots - something that the law prohibited the campaign from doing, and something we complained about all the time!

Happy to get a RESPONSE, instead of "burn him at the stake"

God forbid a debate happens and we have two fucking sides in this forum lol.

I see both sides indeed but wish they would STOP getting bloggers and start getting designers, coders and so on.

btw - the designers and coders do NOT need to be pros, they could be the winners from these contests and not need 10k per design like they odds are did on the official or more. It can be done grassroots style, I just hope IF AND WHEN they locate solid designers they HOLD ONTO THEM for future efforts to streamline things. Imagine if we have 10 designers/coders from the grassroots effort working on the cfl right now versus a bought and paid for outside team. We all know it would be an AMAZING effort in the end and hope it does infact happen.

constituent
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM

ok good... they have made a contest out of it w/ a prize and all that.

phew.

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
I see both sides indeed but wish they would STOP getting bloggers and start getting designers, coders and so on.

How is it that you know they haven't been getting designers and coders and so on?

You don't know.

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
ok good... they have made a contest out of it w/ a prize and all that.

phew.

That's something that the law prohibited them from doing while the campaign was going on.

I love this, I think it is great!

Which ones of you are going to submit something?

I KNOW the winner will be an RPFs member. Right?

RIGHT?

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Very true indeed.

I would just think that if that were true they wouldn't need a design contest BUT get your point still the same.

Either way, happy to see PROGRESS starting.....

Can't wait to see the many designs popping up, sp is a great site even when they branched to 99d's

I just don't do "blind faith"... I like to know things and not assume things....

How is it that you know they haven't been getting designers and coders and so on?

You don't know.

MRoCkEd
07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I like it

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Very true indeed.

I would just think that if that were true they wouldn't need a design contest BUT get your point still the same.

So NYR08....are YOU going to submit something?

:D

We have the most talented people here...no reason in the world the winner shouldn't be one of the RPFs members!

newyearsrevolution08
07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
LOL., not a designer -

I just hope when they locate some of these designers they HOLD ONTO THEM because they are few and far between indeed.

Also

seo
marketing
advertising

among others, we have the BLOG locked down...

So NYR08....are YOU going to submit something?

We have the most talented people here...no reason in the world the winner shouldn't be one of the RPFs members!

lasenorita
07-03-2008, 02:32 PM

Whoa! I'd do it for the book -- they can keep the change. ;)

There's some pretty stiff competition over at 99designs, so those planning on entering had better polish up their skills.

Tarzan
07-03-2008, 02:39 PM
That's something that the law prohibited them from doing while the campaign was going on.

That is not accurate. A design competition is completely within the rules. Do you recall the contest run by RPPCC for a video spot? Perfectly legal and used previously by other campaigns as well.

Communicating action plans with the grassroots is also acceptable... so long as it is done correctly. While the *official* campaign cannot give directives it CAN provide action materials and make them available. So long as you leave the decision in the hands of the grassroots organizers and participants there is quite a bit of leeway.

We need to get our facts straight and not go into "Steve Parent Land".

acmegeek
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I might throw my hat into the ring... check my sig for sample sites. :)

And, the contest is only for the design, not the development. Both take time, but simply a static image designed in Illustrator/Inkscape/Photoshop/etc is much less work than a full-blown html/css/js/etc site...

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 04:48 PM
We need to get our facts straight and not go into "Steve Parent Land".

Uh...huh?

revolutionman
07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
this was my response to some one bitching about not paying for a pro to do the design in the blog comments. i use my handle everywhere for maximum accountability.

not only is it good to pinch pennies, because 4.5 million ain’t really much when it comes to the kinda thing we’re tryin to do. For all intents and purposes this thing of ours, when all is said and done could run to a hundred million with little effort. Thank God the grass roots is made up of skilled citizens willing to sacrifice time and efforts that alone translate into millions of dollars saved. Also, though, this contest has the added bonus of keeping supporters busy, AND giving us something to talk about. A lot of us are young, and many young folks don’t have the highest of attention spans, well you know what they say about idle hands.

DeadtoSin
07-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Tarzan, I'm not as prolific a poster as you, and I don't doubt that you are behind this cause...but if anyone is out in Steve Parent land a good portion of the time it is probably you.

LibertyEagle
07-03-2008, 05:25 PM

That's really helpful, Tarzan. :rolleyes:

roshie
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Perhaps they want to please the grassroots by giving away money.

Not bad in my opinion. Also better than getting ripped off by a design firm. :)

RPTXState
07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Perhaps "nothing works as well as the private sector"

"For Profit" (even if it is only $250) tends to be more efficient than non-profit.

Mckarnin
07-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Sigh.

If I remember correctly the campaign paid over $80,000 for webdesign in March of this year...with prices like that we have reason to be a little skeptical of their purchase decisions. I doubt anyone would object to a more reasonable amount being spent on web design.

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Some people are going to complain about every single thing CFL does, regardless.

Tarzan
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Some people are going to complain about every single thing CFL does, regardless.

That's true... and it is also true that the opposite side of that spectrum will always be present as well. This is not limited to CFL... it is just part of the human condition.

So (bluntly, but as nicely as I can)… many of us want to hold our representatives feet to the fire. We question all of their decisions based on what they have done in the past. We see house members, senators and presidents who do not seem to understand or follow the constitution. We call the people who continue to vote for them "sheeple" or morons.

We need to have the same standards for those leading this movement. We have seen a litany of mistakes and very few good decisions. We have seen ineffective materials, strategies and tactics repeated on countless occasions. Many of those who have attempted to raise these issues over the past several months began to do so in a very judicious manner so as not to offend. That method did not seem to generate any serious consideration for the issues raised. We are seeing a repeat of the same behavior (and mistakes) from the leadership of this movement. In a last gasp of desperation some of us have done some shouting... I am not alone.

I believe that CFL could be our "last best hope" for continuing and building this freedom movement. But, this will only happen if “we” (the grassroots folks with professional experience) are able to help guide the course of CFL... because the current course is clearly heading toward failure when we honestly review the history.

This includes the structure and mission of CFL or any other groups formed around this movement. If this IS to be a grassroots driven movement then we all have to be responsible for the movement's direction. Placing all of your faith in any one person has rarely proven to be a good idea... this includes Ron Paul... and before you get too angry remember that he said it is not about him. If our goal is to succeed we have to take a hard look in the mirror… warts and all.

With that in mind I hope the folks here will take a more active role in the direction and leadership of the movement and CFL... and not just dutifully follow along because "Ron Paul said so" or the people running CFL have given you some directive.

NOW... will somebody please BAN me and I will stop posting here and annoying many of you? :)

amy31416
07-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Some great points there Tarzan, we need to question the leadership while not squelching enthusiasm.

This is why education is so important, it's also why we should demand complete clarity in the finances of any organization we support. I have made a promise to myself to not support any organization that is not completely clear about where the money comes from and where it goes. If the CFL had a tab completely dedicated to finances, that would go far to making people like me much more comfortable.

In parallel with that, clarity of mission and structure would also go a long way to build confidence for the skeptics amongst us.

MsDoodahs
07-04-2008, 12:27 AM
We need to have the same standards for those leading this movement. We have seen a litany of mistakes and very few good decisions. We have seen ineffective materials, strategies and tactics repeated on countless occasions.

Stop using WE as though everyone agrees with you because NOT EVERYONE does.

Many of those who have attempted to raise these issues over the past several months began to do so in a very judicious manner so as not to offend. That method did not seem to generate any serious consideration for the issues raised. We are seeing a repeat of the same behavior (and mistakes) from the leadership of this movement. In a last gasp of desperation some of us have done some shouting... I am not alone.

CFL has not even fully launched and you're all over it bitching and moaning every time they announce a single thing. There is no way to proclaim a repeat of past mistakes when CFL has not even fully launched. :rolleyes:

I believe that CFL could be our "last best hope" for continuing and building this freedom movement. But, this will only happen if “we” (the grassroots folks with professional experience) are able to help guide the course of CFL... because the current course is clearly heading toward failure when we honestly review the history.

More "If I can't RUN it, I'll RUIN it." :rolleyes: And, since CFL isn't even fully launched, your claim that it is "clearly heading toward failure" is absurd.

This includes the structure and mission of CFL or any other groups formed around this movement.

Now you think you should be in control of EVERY group formed around the revolution? :eek:

If this IS to be a grassroots driven movement then we all have to be responsible for the movement's direction.

You are responsible for what YOU do. Which, if your participation here is an indicator, consists primarily of complaining about what others are doing and asking for someone to ban you because you have zero ability to exercise self control. Not exactly a quality that inspires confidence in what you are writing.

Placing all of your faith in any one person has rarely proven to be a good idea... this includes Ron Paul... and before you get too angry remember that he said it is not about him. If our goal is to succeed we have to take a hard look in the mirror… warts and all.

This has always been about the larger freedom movement.

With that in mind I hope the folks here will take a more active role in the direction and leadership of the movement and CFL... and not just dutifully follow along because "Ron Paul said so" or the people running CFL have given you some directive.

We don't tend to be followers.

NOW... will somebody please BAN me and I will stop posting here and annoying many of you? :)

You keep asking, we keep refusing. :)