PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating

Sandra
07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
My grandpa used to have shelves of dehydrated vegetables in glass jars. He also kept a big jar of roux. I remember he would make a stew or soup in just 5 minutes of prep work using dried ingredients and let the stove do the work.

I'm doing the same thing but my question is, my dried veggies are rock hard after drying and it works better that way for me, I'm trying the same thing with produce at the produce stand which seem to be giving me trouble by staying rubbery. Could they be treated with something that keeps them pliable?

tmosley
07-03-2008, 10:06 AM
They probably just aren't as fresh. When the cell walls start to break down they tend to get that way (take a look at some old celery that has been at the back of the crisper for a few months).

Dr.3D
07-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Could it be they put oil on the produce to make them look better?

tmosley
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
No, you would taste it. Your tongue is really good at detecting oils.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Go to middle eastern/asian grocers. They will set you on the right path.

They know long - life foods.

Dr.3D
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
They probably just aren't as fresh. When the cell walls start to break down they tend to get that way (take a look at some old celery that has been at the back of the crisper for a few months).

Well if somebody were trying to dehydrate those not so crisp vegetables, wouldn't they just get hard as they lose the rest of the water they had in them? I mean, the only reason they are not as crisp is because they have started to dry out already.

It would tend to figure if they were dried completely, they would get hard just like the ones that were originally dehydrated.

Spirit of '76
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
No, you would taste it. Your tongue is really good at detecting oils.

Actually, most supermarket produce distributors do indeed coat the produce with a chemical mixture designed to keep it looking fresh longer. A couple of years ago, one of the big supermarket chains around here, Kroger, actually posted signs warning people to wash the produce because it "may be coated with any of the following: petroleum products, parrafin wax, plastic polymers, uric acid, or other preservatives".

It must have hurt produce sales, though, because the signs only lasted a few weeks. I guarantee the chemicals are still there, even if the signs aren't.

Sandra
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Some produce such as fruits and hot pepper remain leathery. My onions and bell pepper dehydrate properly, the ones I get at our local produce stand are weird. I might try getting more from local growers to see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Beans - beans the musical fruit.

The more you eat the more you toot.

Sandra
07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Beans - beans the musical fruit.

The more you eat the more you toot.

Beans and Rice! Absolutely the foods we need to stock uo on! We could form a band!!!!:D

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Beans and Rice! Absolutely the foods we need to stock uo on! We could form a band!!!!:D

The more you toot, the better you feel. so eat beans at every meal!:D

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM

For the past two years I've eaten asian. With rice as my staple.

I love my curry's and rice.

The great thing is you can eat such a variety of spices. Fragrant and mind blowing!

Sandra
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I love Jasmine and Bismati!

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I love Jasmine and Bismati!

Just put a chicken tandoori in the oven.

Water boiling for jasmine rice...

Beautiful.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
If you know a tandoori chicken...

I've blended my spices mixed with yoghurt and had my chicken marinating for a few hours.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry.

The boy likes to cook.

amy31416
07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Tandoori chicken is one of the best dishes ever. Hands down.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Tandoori chicken is one of the best dishes ever. Hands down.
I've put the breasts face down in a smidj'in of peanut oil.

Will turn them over....

And let them lightly crisp.

I love to cook. Is good.

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
That Tandoori chicken was something special!

Cook it, order it (Indian).

But eat it.

MsDoodahs
07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
A few years ago, one of my dear friends wrote to me about an evening spent with the love of her life, and she raved about their meal...of Tandoori chicken....

I should probably give her a call...

:)

Ozwest
07-03-2008, 01:48 PM
A few years ago, one of my dear friends wrote to me about an evening spent with the love of her life, and she raved about their meal...of Tandoori chicken....

I should probably give her a call...

:)

Love is in the air...:)