PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Wisdom From Our Founders ~ Inspirational Quotes

nbruno322
07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
An appropriate time to remember the wisdom of Thomas Jefferson, a man of the enlightenment and the principal author of the Declaration of Independence. Some of his more notable quotes. Happy (almost) 4th of July!

-“Taste cannot be controlled by law. “

-“A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. “

-“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. “

-“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be. “

-“Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper. “

-“Banking establishments are more dangerous to liberty than standing armies. “

-“Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. “

-“Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. “

-“The spirit of resistance is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. “

-“Power is not alluring to pure minds. “

-“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. “

-“I am mortified to be told that, in the United States of America, the sale of a book can become a subject of inquiry, and of criminal inquiry too. “

-“I swear eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. “

-“I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. “

-“To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. “

-“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. “

-“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.”

-“Leave no authority existing not responsible to the people. “

-“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. “

-“Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. “

-“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. “

It should be no surprise that Dr. Paul has been called the Thomas Jefferson of our age, by Judge Andrew Napolitano and others.

Trance Dance Master
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

"I cannot live without books"

nobody's_hero
07-03-2008, 06:54 AM
http://patriotpost.us/fqd/

I go to this site to find all of my inspirational quotes. Sadly, this website considers itself a hub for conservative journalism, yet does not offer much support for Ron Paul.

Nonetheless, it has an easy-to-use quote archive.

lucius
07-03-2008, 10:38 AM
So true:

"I really look with commiseration over the great body of my fellow citizens who, reading
newspapers, live and die in the belief that they have known something of what has been
passing in their times." Thomas Jefferson

Truth Warrior
07-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Thomas Jefferson Quotes
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_jefferson.html

;)