PDA

View Full Version : PC Repair In Texas Now Requires a PI License

Matt Collins
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
In some shocking news out of Texas, PC repair will now require a PI License (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2324220,00.asp). Surely this stands to have a substantial impact on small repair shops around the state if upheld. Never fear, however, as the first counter-suit has already been filed (http://www.ij.org/first_amendment/tx_computer_repair/6_26_08pr.html)."

Doktor_Jeep
07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
If anyone needs advice on repairing a PC just PM me.

sidster
07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
wtf? when I first read your post, i thought for sure "PI" is
something other than "Private Investigator" in this context.
But sure enough, the article spells it out as such:

A recently passed law requires that Texas computer-repair technicians have a private-investigator license, according to a story posted by a [url=http://cw33.trb.com/news/kdaf-062608-computerspelpina,0,486476.storyDallas-Fort Worth CW affiliate[/url].

In order to obtain said license, technicians must receive a criminal justice degree or participate in a three-year apprenticeship. Those shops that refuse to participate will be forced to shut down. Violators of the new law can be hit with a $4,000 dollar fine and up to a year in jail, penalties that apply to customers who seek out their services.

Wow... talk about absurd!

sidster
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM

I took a well working PC of mine. Opened it up. blew the dust, hairballs,
and carp out of it. Then i put it back together and powered it on. The
fan spins, but the PC won't boot. Doesn't even get to POST...

I've not had time to screw with it any more....

micahnelson
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM

No offense but you have missed the point.

This is a glaring violation of individual rights. If there isn't a public outcry against this, then I think the country might be farther gone than we ever imagined.

Sure people will put up with violations when they are invisible, wiretaps and warrantless searches. Why would anyone accept that the government has the right to do this to a small business? I don't understand.

The legislators in Texas who passed this shouldn't have an hour of sleep until they repeal it. They lost the right to privacy and rest the moment the violated the rights of their constituents.

Unbelievable.

micahnelson
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Good thing youre not in texas. You just attempted to repair your computer without registering with the state.

Matt Collins
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
i put it back together and powered it on. The
fan spins, but the PC won't boot. Doesn't even get to POST...Check to make sure that the memory sticks are in all the way and that the video card is in it's slot (if you are not using onboard video). Assuming the processor hasn't taken a crap on you it sounds like something is wrong with video or the memory if it doesn't even get to POST. But that's just a guess and I am not a PI

micahnelson
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Better ask this guy....
http://www.hawianshirts.net/Men%27s-cotton/jungle%20bird%20magnum.jpg

Doktor_Jeep
07-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Let them come and get me.

The point is, the bastards are going to pass any law they want, and the best way is to circumvent them. They got us tied up and dancing to their song trying to play the game their way.

Chances are this PC repair thing is something they been edging at for a long time. Almost everything now is something they already had a program for.

When people were getting their hunting trip pictures ratted on at the developers, everybody started going to digital. DId they waste time clamoring for the same bastards that created the snitch programs to have an attack of nicey nicey and change their minds?

That's like expecting a Constitution to control the same people who have the power to amend it.

Oh wait, that concept is also a total failure.

Take the fiat currency issue. Ron Paul said real money is the way to go. The plutocrats made sure the deck was stacked against him for that.

Yet I see more people using barter and silver coins now. Are they still expecting the robber barons to suddenly act nice and let us have our currency back? No. Instead they are stabbing the devil in the heart and exercising their rights ANYWAY.

You see, they can get computer techs to bend the knee to Baal and become snitches. But if they are going to raid people for trying to help a friend fix their own computer then that makes the tryants act like tyrants.

Trying to beat them at their rigged Monopoly game will fail every time. Forcing them to have to raid someone for replacing a video card lets even the most ignorant know how bad things are.

Doktor_Jeep
07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
No offense but you have missed the point.

This is a glaring violation of individual rights. If there isn't a public outcry against this, then I think the country might be farther gone than we ever imagined.

Sure people will put up with violations when they are invisible, wiretaps and warrantless searches. Why would anyone accept that the government has the right to do this to a small business? I don't understand.

The legislators in Texas who passed this shouldn't have an hour of sleep until they repeal it. They lost the right to privacy and rest the moment the violated the rights of their constituents.

Unbelievable.

Dude.

YOUR COUNTRY IS ALREADY GONE.

ELT
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
This only seems to apply to repairs that actually include some "investigation" of data on a drive, which probably would be better turned over to the police or FBI anyway. At least that's what the "suit" link article says...

"If a computer repair technician without a government-issued private investigator’s license takes any actions that the government deems to be an “investigation,” they may be subject to criminal penalties of up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine, as well as civil penalties of up to $10,000. The definition of “investigation” is very broad and encompasses many common computer repair tasks."

One can only make the definition of "investigation" so broad...I actually repair PCs at a hospital, and this will never fly, and I do it all in my daily routine. When I do daily hardware chores, replacing a motherboard, power supply, re-installing Win-blows, Office, troubleshooting printing, even imaging a drive, none of this is actually investigating anything, period. If you are not actually opening any files, you are not investigating anything...'nuff said. They can't enforce this. Just don't admit to opening any documents. Or you can walk the user through the issue in your shop, then it would be their hand actually "investigating" their own data; ...dumb law circumvented.

micahnelson
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
This only seems to apply to repairs that actually include some "investigation" of data on a drive, which probably would be better turned over to the police or FBI anyway. At least that's what the "suit" link article says...

"If a computer repair technician without a government-issued private investigator’s license takes any actions that the government deems to be an “investigation,” they may be subject to criminal penalties of up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine, as well as civil penalties of up to $10,000. The definition of “investigation” is very broad and encompasses many common computer repair tasks."

One can only make the definition of "investigation" so broad...I actually repair PCs at a hospital, and this will never fly, and I do it all in my daily routine. When I do daily hardware chores, replacing a motherboard, power supply, re-installing Win-blows, Office, troubleshooting printing, even imaging a drive, none of this is actually investigating anything, period. If you are not actually opening any files, you are not investigating anything...'nuff said. They can't enforce this. Just don't admit to opening any documents. Or you can walk the user through the issue in your shop, then it would be their hand actually "investigating" their own data; ...dumb law circumvented.

NO NO NO.

I'm tired of circumventing laws. Repeal them and vote out the idiots what passed them.

micahnelson
07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Dude.

YOUR COUNTRY IS ALREADY GONE.

Then why are you here posting?

revolutionary8
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Rick Perry Must Go.

IPSecure
07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
This is Fricken unbelievable!

Will auto repair shops be required to do the same, because of computer chips built in to cars?

Cell phone repair? - They are really micro computers...

cjhowe
07-02-2008, 11:08 PM
You guys are Fricken unbelievable. Let's not bother to read the opinion of the Private Security Bureau in which the article is misinterpreting. The linked article is taking the opinion WAY out of context. This is not to prevent someone from fixing your computer, it's to prevent someone from doing computer forensics work on a computer.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/psb/docs/psb_opin_sum.pdf

Computer repair or support services should be aware that if they offer to perform investigative services, such as assisting a customer with solving a computer-related crime, they must be licensed as investigators. The review of computer data for the purpose of investigating potential criminal or civil matters is a regulated activity under Chapter 1702 of the Texas Occupations Code, as is offering to perform such services. Section 1702.102 provides as follows:

§1702.104. Investigations Company
(a) A person acts as an investigations company for the purposes of this chapter if the person:
..(1) engages in the business of obtaining or furnishing, or accepts employment to obtain or furnish, information related to:
....(A) crime or wrongs done or threatened against a state or the United States;
....(B) the identity, habits, business, occupation, knowledge, efficiency, loyalty, movement, location, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation, or character of a person;
....(C) the location, disposition, or recovery of lost or stolen property; or
....(D) the cause or responsibility for a fire, libel, loss, accident, damage, or injury to a person or to property;
..(2) engages in the business of securing, or accepts employment to secure, evidence for use before a court, board, officer, or investigating committee;
..(3) engages in the business of securing, or accepts employment to secure, the electronic tracking of the location of an individual or motor vehicle other than for criminal justice purposes by or on behalf of a governmental entity; or
..(4) engages in the business of protecting, or accepts employment to protect, an individual from bodily harm through the use of a personal protection officer.
(b) For purposes of subsection (a)(1), obtaining or furnishing information includes information obtained or furnished through the review and analysis of, and the investigation into the content of, computer-based data not available to the public.

Please be aware that providing or offering to provide a regulated service without a license is a criminal offense. TEX. OCC. CODE §§1702.101, 1702.388. Employment of an unlicensed individual who is required to be licensed is also a criminal offense. TEX. OCC. CODE §1702.386.

cjhowe
07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
You guys are Fricken unbelievable. Let's not bother to read the opinion of the Private Security Bureau in which the article is misinterpreting. The OP linked article is taking the opinion WAY out of context. This is not to prevent someone from fixing your computer, it's to prevent someone from doing computer forensics work on a computer.

PRIVATE SECURITY BUREAU

Computer repair or support services should be aware that if they offer to perform investigative services, such as assisting a customer with solving a computer-related crime, they must be licensed as investigators. The review of computer data for the purpose of investigating potential criminal or civil matters is a regulated activity under Chapter 1702 of the Texas Occupations Code, as is offering to perform such services. Section 1702.102 provides as follows:

§1702.104. Investigations Company
(a) A person acts as an investigations company for the purposes of this chapter if the person:
..(1) engages in the business of obtaining or furnishing, or accepts employment to obtain or furnish, information related to:
....(A) crime or wrongs done or threatened against a state or the United States;
....(B) the identity, habits, business, occupation, knowledge, efficiency, loyalty, movement, location, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation, or character of a person;
....(C) the location, disposition, or recovery of lost or stolen property; or
....(D) the cause or responsibility for a fire, libel, loss, accident, damage, or injury to a person or to property;
..(2) engages in the business of securing, or accepts employment to secure, evidence for use before a court, board, officer, or investigating committee;
..(3) engages in the business of securing, or accepts employment to secure, the electronic tracking of the location of an individual or motor vehicle other than for criminal justice purposes by or on behalf of a governmental entity; or
..(4) engages in the business of protecting, or accepts employment to protect, an individual from bodily harm through the use of a personal protection officer.
(b) For purposes of subsection (a)(1), obtaining or furnishing information includes information obtained or furnished through the review and analysis of, and the investigation into the content of, computer-based data not available to the public.

Please be aware that providing or offering to provide a regulated service without a license is a criminal offense. TEX. OCC. CODE §§1702.101, 1702.388. Employment of an unlicensed individual who is required to be licensed is also a criminal offense. TEX. OCC. CODE §1702.386.

roshie
07-02-2008, 11:36 PM
LOL You need a CRIMINAL JUSTICE license to do PC Repair? Sure you can "investigate" the root cause of the issue, any technician can do that.

Go tell the maintenance workers that fix your lighting to get this as well. It's ridiculous, I smell lobbyists.

IPSecure
07-02-2008, 11:37 PM
You guys are Fricken unbelievable. Let's not bother to read the opinion of the Private Security Bureau in which the article is misinterpreting. The OP linked article is taking the opinion WAY out of context. This is not to prevent someone from fixing your computer, it's to prevent someone from doing computer forensics work on a computer.

PRIVATE SECURITY BUREAU

cjhowe - Thanks for the 'clarification', but what does an 'opinion' have to do with the law? Is this just yet another 'wrong news story'?

The news article:

New Computer Repair Law Could Affect Both Company Owners and Consumers

* Lawsuit says every repair technician in Texas must have private investigator's license
* Licenses are obtained with criminal justice degree or 3 year apprenticeship
* Violators can face up to a 4K fine and 1 year in jail

June 26, 2008

(Updated July 2, 2008)

A new Texas law requires every computer repair technician to obtain a private investigator's license, according to a lawsuit filed in Austin. Violators can face a $4,000 fine and one year in jail, as well as a $10,000 civil penalty.

Unlicensed computer shops will have to close down until they obtain a private investigator's license.

A private investigator's license can be obtained by acquiring a criminal justice degree or by getting a three-year apprenticeship under a licensed private investigator.

According to the Institute for Justice, an Austin-based non-profit law firm, the new law also impacts consumers. Consumers who knowingly take computers to an unlicensed company for repair can face the same penalties.

An article from the Daily Texan explains the concern from one computer shop owner's perspective.

In the Austin American-Statesman, State Rep. Joe Driver, (R-Garland) explains the intent of the law, and claims it does not place such restrictions on most computer shops.

Intent & Claims:
Even more unintended consequences Dr. Paul has warned us about?

shaunish
07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
how that law got passed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6X-xtVask

WATCH IT

revolutionary8
07-02-2008, 11:55 PM
how that law got passed:

WATCH IT
This is SHOCKING to those who don't know, and if "they" think "it" is only in Texas, they have got "something big" coming their way.

TastyWheat
07-02-2008, 11:56 PM
That's still pretty lame. I'm a computer scientist and I'm very capable of doing forensics on a computer. Hell, I'm probably more qualified than a PI.

revolutionary8
07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
That's still pretty lame. I'm a computer scientist and I'm very capable of doing forensics on a computer. Hell, I'm probably more qualified than a PI.

what is lame Texas? That TEXAS was one of the FIRST to actually REPORT IT?
hmmm.
check yourself. Check your state. be proud. Be THANKFUL you do not live elsewhere. There is a shadow of freedom and peace and liberty in Texas. Other states- they "own" lands that are farrr farrr gone. Invest in Shrouds of liberty , but WHY?????????

IPSecure
07-03-2008, 12:35 AM
how that law got passed:

WATCH IT

This was actually the vote to inject the young ladies in Texas, with a virus...

“PCR-based HPV detection device with provision for accurate HPV genotyping is more urgently needed now because vaccination with Gardasil of the women who are already sero-positive and PCR-positive for vaccine-relevant genotypes of HPV has been found to increase the risk of developing high-grade precancerous lesions by 44.6%, according to an FDA VRBPAC Background Document : Gardasil HPV Quadrivalent Vaccine. May 18, 2006 VRBPAC Meeting. www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/briefing/2006-4222B3.pdf”

http://infowars.wordpress.com/2007/12/30/the-great-human-papilloma-virus-vaccine-hoax-exposed/

cjhowe
07-03-2008, 12:50 AM
cjhowe - Thanks for the 'clarification', but what does an 'opinion' have to do with the law? Is this just yet another 'wrong news story'?

The news article:

New Computer Repair Law Could Affect Both Company Owners and Consumers

* Lawsuit says every repair technician in Texas must have private investigator's license
* Licenses are obtained with criminal justice degree or 3 year apprenticeship
* Violators can face up to a 4K fine and 1 year in jail

June 26, 2008

(Updated July 2, 2008)

A new Texas law requires every computer repair technician to obtain a private investigator's license, according to a lawsuit filed in Austin. Violators can face a $4,000 fine and one year in jail, as well as a $10,000 civil penalty.

Unlicensed computer shops will have to close down until they obtain a private investigator's license.

A private investigator's license can be obtained by acquiring a criminal justice degree or by getting a three-year apprenticeship under a licensed private investigator.

According to the Institute for Justice, an Austin-based non-profit law firm, the new law also impacts consumers. Consumers who knowingly take computers to an unlicensed company for repair can face the same penalties.

An article from the Daily Texan explains the concern from one computer shop owner's perspective.

In the Austin American-Statesman, State Rep. Joe Driver, (R-Garland) explains the intent of the law, and claims it does not place such restrictions on most computer shops.

Intent & Claims:
Even more unintended consequences Dr. Paul has warned us about?

Seeing how the "opinion" is written by the department that would be tasked with enforcing the law, I think it would hold a bit more weight than the "news story". However, I specifically called it an opinion because it does not hold the weight of law. The statute is cited in my post. That statute shows nothing that comes close to the sensationalism that the "news story" provided.

cjhowe
07-03-2008, 12:56 AM

Are you familiar with the statutes and code of conduct to complete that job in a manner that respects other's right to privacy? Are you bonded? If not, then no, you're not more qualified than a PI to do computer forensics.

Doktor_Jeep
07-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Then why are you here posting?

To convince you all that banners, donations, and votes will not be enough.

asgardshill
07-03-2008, 01:12 AM
There has been some good discussion about this on Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/01/1940251). And the consensus there (with which I agree this time) is that the law doesn't apply tg Joe Computertech in his Mom's basement working on customer boxes as long as Joe isn't doing or advertising actual forensic services. So yes, feel free to upgrade your neighbor's RAM without getting hauled off by the local federales.

Sandra
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
That's what I gather from the law as written. It only involves forensic investigation. If someone tried to use what was found from a computer by an amateur sleuth as proof of a crime committed then that is thrown out anyway.

The first article misinterpreted the law then was repeated be other news outlets without further investigation. i used to work for a newspaper, and this type of lazy journalisn is practiced all the time. US news outlets are pure junk.

constituent
07-03-2008, 08:42 AM
A new Texas law requires every computer repair technician to obtain a private investigator's license, according to a lawsuit filed in Austin.

So according to a lawsuit, not the actual law?

I know more than a few small pc repair shops up and down south and central texas...

Hadn't heard a word about it.

Of course, I haven't asked any PC repair people to do any investigating for me either....

Matt Collins
07-03-2008, 08:51 AM
There has been some good discussion about this on Slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/01/1940251).One of my favorite sites on the Net. In fact it's where I got this story from :D

pcosmar
07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Damn,
I fix a lot of computers for friends. I'll even fix Window$ for good friends.
I am not any kind of certified expert, but I am an Ex felon. Those that trust me with their computers know that.
It seems they want to put honest hackers out of business.

I wonder if this means I won't be able to help my Pastor next time?

asgardshill
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
One of my favorite sites on the Net. In fact it's where I got this story from :D

Cool! Look for my posts over there under the nom de guerre of "Anonymous Coward" :D

JosephTheLibertarian
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
In some shocking news out of Texas, PC repair will now require a PI License (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2324220,00.asp). Surely this stands to have a substantial impact on small repair shops around the state if upheld. Never fear, however, as the first counter-suit has already been filed (http://www.ij.org/first_amendment/tx_computer_repair/6_26_08pr.html)."

lololol. what a load of useless regulation. What does computer repair have to do with PI work? Though I do think many computer repair techs are worth shit, but that's besides the fact. Has enough people complained about getting ripped off? lol. Or is there a computer tech monopoly consolidation of market share going on? hmmm

ChooseLiberty
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
That's amazingly stupid. Most PI's are barely smart enough to operate a PC. Repair one? Forget it.

constituent
07-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Cool! Look for my posts over there under the nom de guerre of "Anonymous Coward" :D

this:

Re:Advertising $$ at Work Here
Posted by: Anonymous Coward on March 17, 2005 01:51 AM
Real geeks subscribe to mailing lists<nobr> <wbr></nobr>;)

#
No thanks
Posted by: Anonymous Coward on March 16, 2005 11:30 PM
I prefer to NOT do business with Microsoft sycophants such as this (Dell and HP are also included).

#
Big Splash!
Posted by: Anonymous Coward on March 16, 2005 11:39 PM
Thats the sound of this thing sinking to the bottom of the lake.

#

Anonymous Coward?

asgardshill
07-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Anonymous Coward?

Well I'll be darned - somebody ganked my nym! Bastards.

torchbearer
07-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Check to make sure that the memory sticks are in all the way and that the video card is in it's slot (if you are not using onboard video). Assuming the processor hasn't taken a crap on you it sounds like something is wrong with video or the memory if it doesn't even get to POST. But that's just a guess and I am not a PI

+1. my first thought was reseating memory, also check to make sure your case connecter from your power button is still connected to your board.
if you aren't getting any power or system beep.
that would be the place to start.

OK- now whats up with this PI shit?
I've actually been hired by police to get forensic details about a failed data destructions.
Failed, because i know how to get it.. but yeh- I was expert witness, a forensic in computing. I can also acquire all kinds of info about you by working on your computer.. so I guess a PI would make sense, but, a businesses reputation is everything.

Kludge
07-03-2008, 04:29 PM
http://scienceblogs.com/strangerfruit/WindowsLiveWriter/NowImasconfusedasthisguy_F6CB/Bush_confused%5B2%5D.jpg

Do Not Understand...

Carole
07-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I own my computer and I will damn well take it to whomever I wish if I cannot repair it myself.

This is just another trashing of liberty. This goes too far.

They always have to step on the little guy. This also opens the door for the government getting inside your computer since the patriot act now forces private industry to secretly cooperate with government and they now write their own warrants.

I think this has far-reaching implications. A licensed technician will be forced to cooperate with the government and will not be able by law to tell you.

FindLiberty
07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Compare publik skools, socialized medical care, and RX medicine with the computer industry (software and hardware)...

You should notice that ONE of the four above CONSTANTLY gets better, more powerful, less expensive and allows access to information not spun by the Gov/MSM or regulated and taxed by the local fascists...

This PI / PC repair license (homeland security?) nonsense is just an attempt to get "a nose under the tent" to stomp out freedom and bring the entire computer industry down to the same low, low standards, protections and regulations enjoyed by the other three "problems" listed above.

Carole
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
How did they sneak this law through?

youngbuck
07-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Are you familiar with the statutes and code of conduct to complete that job in a manner that respects other's right to privacy? Are you bonded? If not, then no, you're not more qualified than a PI to do computer forensics.

LOL! You have got to be kidding dude. Do you really think that being familiar with statutes and codes, and/or being bonded, makes you qualified for computer forensics?

That's like saying a cop who is familiar with the law as far as using deadly force goes is more qualified than a Navy Seal who doesn't know and doesn't care about the law.

Also, that guy who is a computer scientist will be the one writing the programs that the lowly PI uses to do his investigation.

:rolleyes:

torchbearer
07-03-2008, 06:31 PM
LOL! You have got to be kidding dude. Do you really think that being familiar with statutes and codes, and/or being bonded, makes you qualified for computer forensics?

That's like saying a cop who is familiar with the law as far as using deadly force goes is more qualified than a Navy Seal who doesn't know and doesn't care about the law.

Also, that guy who is a computer scientist will be the one writing the programs that the lowly PI uses to do his investigation.

:rolleyes:

A techie can out-detect the detective, unless the detective is also a techie.
We hold the keys to the digital warfare.
When the government tries to clamp down on what info we can recieve, it will be us liberty hackers who gets info shared.
They want us all licensed, so they can pull us into their legal system and extort us to work for them.
Its already happening, i'm constantly being asked to do law investigation work in forensics.
Of course, i'm a public figure, so they already KNOW who I am.

JosephTheLibertarian
07-03-2008, 07:16 PM
A techie can out-detect the detective, unless the detective is also a techie.
We hold the keys to the digital warfare.
When the government tries to clamp down on what info we can recieve, it will be us liberty hackers who gets info shared.
They want us all licensed, so they can pull us into their legal system and extort us to work for them.
Its already happening, i'm constantly being asked to do law investigation work in forensics.
Of course, i'm a public figure, so they already KNOW who I am.

yeah, an it makes no sense. It just will cut down on the number of computer shops you'll see. It doesn't even make any sense, what does PI work have to do with computer repair work?

Kludge
07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
yeah, an it makes no sense. It just will cut down on the number of computer shops you'll see. It doesn't even make any sense, what does PI work have to do with computer repair work?

When you steal software from companies, the gov't loses tax revenue (assuming you were going to bury the money deep underground forever), you might as well be funding the terrorists.

It is the duty of every American to help prevent terrorism, and if that means some PC techs will need to spend a little bit of time in college to better expose your terrorism, well.... I'm all for that.

JosephTheLibertarian
07-03-2008, 07:27 PM
When you steal software from companies, the gov't loses tax revenue (assuming you were going to bury the money deep underground forever), you might as well be funding the terrorists.

It is the duty of every American to help prevent terrorism, and if that means some PC techs will need to spend a little bit of time in college to better expose your terrorism, well.... I'm all for that.

but what does that have to do with anything?

warez is great imo! :D

torchbearer
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
adandonwarez.
Go back and play betrayal of krondor and privateer.

JosephTheLibertarian
07-03-2008, 09:17 PM
adandonwarez.
Go back and play betrayal of krondor and privateer.

abandonware is ok. but I prefer to get new software for free.

Kludge
07-03-2008, 09:21 PM
abandonware is ok. but I prefer to get new software for free.

Freeloaders With John Stossel:

Part One (http://www.dailymotion.com/InTheClassroom/video/xn5mq_freeloaders-with-john-stossel-1of3_news)
Part Two (http://www.dailymotion.com/InTheClassroom/video/xn9lu_freeloaders-with-john-stossel-2of3_news)
Part Three (http://www.dailymotion.com/InTheClassroom/video/xnm9m_freeloaders-with-john-stossel-3of3_news)

Grimnir Wotansvolk
07-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Ah fuck, and right after I made the decision to pursue A+ certification

Why don't I just roll over AND DIE

Kludge
07-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Why don't I just roll over AND DIE

Because you know we love you and don't want you to leave us.

You are obligated to stay.

*Breaks down* OH GOD! Grimnir!!!! Don't LEAVE USSSSSS!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*ahem*

Grimnir Wotansvolk
07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
http://rae4401.com/MUSHROOM-C-HUGGLES.jpg

BudhaStalin
07-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Oh come on guys its not that bad. The state knows what's best for us.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
07-04-2008, 05:57 AM
You guys are Fricken unbelievable. Let's not bother to read the opinion of the Private Security Bureau in which the article is misinterpreting. The linked article is taking the opinion WAY out of context. This is not to prevent someone from fixing your computer, it's to prevent someone from doing computer forensics work on a computer.

It may be out of context, but it's still entirely screwed up.

(B) the identity, habits, business, occupation, knowledge, efficiency, loyalty, movement, location, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation, or character of a person;

Let's say my business owns computers, has employees that work on those computers, and I have a right to see what's on those computers.

What business does government have telling me I need to hire a private investigator?

I'm gonna guess most IT people know more about computers than your average PI. It doesn't even make sense to anybody to hire a PI.

JosephTheLibertarian
07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
It may be out of context, but it's still entirely screwed up.

Let's say my business owns computers, has employees that work on those computers, and I have a right to see what's on those computers.

What business does government have telling me I need to hire a private investigator?

I'm gonna guess most IT people know more about computers than your average PI. It doesn't even make sense to anybody to hire a PI.

The only explanation is that they're trying to kill the industry. People will just take their businesses "underground" if they need a fuckin' "PI permit" in order to repair computers.

TastyWheat
07-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Well, I would assume the lawyer would know the difference between what's admissible as evidence and what isn't.

micahnelson
07-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Well, I would assume the lawyer would know the difference between what's admissible as evidence and what isn't.

The government always overreaches. If they wanted, they could just make a requirement that if you testify in court claiming yourself as a computer forensics expert that you must be a PI.

If my boss wants me to see if joe schmuckatelli has been surfing the porns at work, I need to do that. If he has been surfing the child porns and somebody wants to take him down in court- possibly it would make sense for someone with computer training and investigative work.