PDA

View Full Version : Life Savers vs Gun Nuts

ronpaulhawaii
07-02-2008, 03:02 PM
(An overview of media coverage of Heller)

LINK (http://www.cultureandmediainstitute.org/articles/2008/20080627135947.aspx)

CBS provided both the high and low points of the Second Amendment coverage. On the high side, anchor Katie Couric alone asked an obvious question of D.C. Mayor Fenty: “I was surprised to hear … that this ban has been in effect for 32 years. And it was just recently challenged. If that’s the case, why has the District remained one of the most dangerous and crime-ridden cities in the country with this ban in effect?” Fenty failed to explain why the gun ban had been ineffective.

The low point was the report by CBS Evening News correspondent Bill Whitaker, who delivered a one-sided drumbeat of criticisms of the ruling. He began with a emotional clip from Chicago Mayor Richard Daley: “Time and time again, how many children have been killed in their homes, by guns?”

A second passionate Daley clip: “The Supreme Court and Congress has no obligation to keep our country safe. It falls on the backs of mayors, and your local officials.”

Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton: “The insanity continues. America’s love affair with firearms has now been reaffirmed by the Supreme Court.”

California Senator Dianne Feinstein: “And I happen to believe this is now going to open the doors to litigation against every gun safety law that states have passed.”

Following Feinstein, Whitaker introduced his villain, stage right: “In fact, the gun lobby is wasting no time. 15 minutes after the high court’s ruling, the Illinois Rifle Association filed a lawsuit challenging Chicago’s ban.”

Whitaker included a few statistics to buttress his anti-gun rights case:

Chicago, which passed a gun ban similar to D.C.'S 25 years ago, had 325 gun homicides last year. A 10-year-old shot in the head, a pregnant woman gunned down, a college student shot and killed. Mayor daley said the court's decision will make his mean streets even more dangerous.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, 30,000 Americans die from gun violence each year, some 80 a day. 321 killed by guns in Philadelphia last year. 114 in Oakland, California. 316 in Los Angeles.

Of course, Whitaker’s job is not to present cases, but to tell both sides of the story. He provided no information about the benefits of individual gun ownership, from the peace of mind guns provide residents of dangerous neighborhoods to the hard data about the crimes prevented and lives saved by guns each year.

amy31416
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I hope that DC can prove all the naysayers wrong and show a drop in crime that will set a precedent for gun rights.

Dr.3D
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I hope that DC can prove all the naysayers wrong and show a drop in crime that will set a precedent for gun rights.

So do I! But then the media prolly wouldn't report on it anyway.

TruckinMike
07-02-2008, 04:39 PM

That would be great; but I believe that folks are going to have to jump through so many hoops they will not get armed. The ruling only said they can't ban, but can regulate. What type of regulation do you think that the DC folks will come up with? Hhhmm, just a back ground check?... maybe some training requirements, or perhaps they will make you pass an exam, or maybe they will require that you prove a need to acquire a license... or maybe all of the above.

I will be shocked beyond belief, if the average ordinary citizen of DC can just go down the street, buy a gun, and take it home. If this does not happen,then don't expect the killings to subside. Expect this case to prove the anti-gunners point. They will claim that DC is NOW armed, and that is why the killings haven't gone down. Thus justifying their anti-gun position. Get ready, here it comes.

--- not to mention we are talking about the cesspool of society, even with good citizens owning guns, the crack dealin' gang bangers will still be killing each other.

TMike

latkinson6
07-02-2008, 05:13 PM
The low point was the report by CBS Evening News correspondent Bill Whitaker, who delivered a one-sided drumbeat of criticisms of the ruling. He began with a emotional clip from Chicago Mayor Richard Daley: “Time and time again, how many children have been killed in their homes, by guns?”

time and time again, how many children have been killed in there streets, by cars?

and leaving a loaded gun under the mattress that a child can get to is just retarded.

Mesogen
07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
You won't see any legal handguns in DC anytime soon.
There was no remedy in the ruling. SCOTUS had no instructions for DC. There is no mechanism to register your guns or get a permit. There is no time frame within which DC has to act. There are no guidelines for them to follow. DC can do whatever it wants.

Doktor_Jeep
07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

When Florida went to Shall Issue concealed carry in, '87 I think, all kinds of horrors were promised by the media. "Shootouts over parking spaces" they said.

The murder rate dropped.