PDA

View Full Version : Front row at a WILLIE NELSON concert - ideas?

McDermit
08-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I have front row tix to the Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard/Ray Price concert in Holmdel, NJ tomorrow.

In 2003, Willie gave an official endorsement of Kucinich. To my knowledge, he has not yet publicly endorsed Kucinich or anyone else this time around.

He has been arrested for possession of shrooms and marijuana. His home and other assets were auctioned off by the IRS for a $16mil bill for back taxes. He wrote a song that was pro-gay, and another that was anti-war and anti-Bush.

Soooo.. what do I do at the concert tomorrow to get Ron Paul on Willie Nelson's radar? I'm not sure how the stage is set up and whether I'll be able to get info in his hands or not. If so, I'm considering having one of the Ozzfest flyers and a slim jim. Or maybe forego all the standards and just write a personalized letter? I don't know..

Obviously, we're going to have to hold up a sign. What should the sign say? And should we be doing anything else? (We'll be handing out slim jims/liberty cards outside.. but beyond that?)

Dustancostine
08-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Willie traditionally stays after the concerts and signs all the autographs for fans that wants them, no matter how long it takes. So be sure and stay after the show and get an autograph and make sure he gets a slimjim.

--Dustan

UtahApocalypse
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Wear a Ron Paul shirt for sure!! Try to throw a slim jim up on stage. maybe take a personalized note and info to hand to him after the show. And report back here tomorrow.

JoshLowry
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Slip him one of the Ozzfest flyers!

max
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Give willie a freedom to facism dvd and a slim jim..

he will appreciate the anti-IRS message....give him a mariguana ozzfest flyer too and ask him to look at Ron Paul....

You must get to him!!!!! It can be done if u want it!

surf
08-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Willie Nelson was quoted in the Seattle Weekly - http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-06-27/music/fore-th-of-july.php
excerpt: "... I've been supporting Dennis Kucinich since he came out against the war. But his chances...who knows? I like the representative, Ron Paul, from Texas. He makes a lot of sense. Bill Richardson is a good friend of mine, too. He wouldn't be a bad choice."

EvoPro
08-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Willie Nelson was quoted in the Seattle Weekly - http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-06-27/music/fore-th-of-july.php
excerpt: "... I've been supporting Dennis Kucinich since he came out against the war. But his chances...who knows? I like the representative, Ron Paul, from Texas. He makes a lot of sense. Bill Richardson is a good friend of mine, too. He wouldn't be a bad choice."

He'll still love the ozzfest flyer! Maybe it will motivate him to completely support Dr. Paul.

cjhowe
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM

he will appreciate the anti-IRS message....give him a mariguana ozzfest flyer too and ask him to look at Ron Paul....

I think Willie is quite aware that there is a law :D He may not be happy about it, but he knows that it's there.

james1906
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Don't forget Merle. His last two singles "Politically Uncorrect" and "America First" really show he has Old Right politics.

McDermit
08-27-2007, 10:39 PM

Oo. Didn't know that. Thank you!

At least 2 of the 4 of us going will be sporting RP shirts (my dad and his wife might or might not.. it's pop's birthday, so I'm not going to push the issue!)

And we'll get an Ozzfest flyer to him for sure.

Should we take a sign to hold up for Willie? Or skip the sign?

McDermit
08-27-2007, 10:40 PM
We're front row, center stage.. so we'll be right there in front of all 3. We're open to suggestions.

james1906
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
We're front row, center stage.. so we'll be right there in front of all 3. We're open to suggestions.

Learn America First, scream along to it. That should get Merle's attention. If he doesn't play it, demand that he do. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=12411361

Mention Ron Paul was an early supporter of Ronald Reagan and that Ronald Reagan pardoned Merle as governor.

And say that Dwight Yoakum says he believes in Jeffersonian ideals.

LibertyEagle
08-27-2007, 11:17 PM

I have to agree with Max on this. If there ever was a person that the Freedom to Fascism DVD would work on, it is Willie. I mean seriously, think about all his bouts with the IRS. He'd love for them to be history.

I can't remember, does the Slim Jim address Dr. Paul saying he wants to abolish the IRS? The Ozzfest flyers would also be good for Willie. At least, that's my opinion.

Dary
08-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Beach Balls.

Write Ron Paul on a joint and throw it up on the stage.

McDermit
08-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Beach Balls.

I wish I'd gotten my beach balls ordered earlier. I just order 100 36" and 1000 16" last night. :rolleyes: I'll have to sharpie a few plain ones for tomorrow.

and wow, haha.. that's certainly an idea! I don't smoke though.. haha, maybe my brother could hook me up. :rolleyes:

surf
08-27-2007, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE][Write Ron Paul on a joint and throw it up on the stage.
/QUOTE]

ha. i like that one. i like the sign idea too. maybe a sign made out of rolling paper he can take with him on the bus. you've got to make sure you're noticed.

thanks in advance for doing this. have fun

surf
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
"Write Ron Paul on a joint and throw it up on the stage."

ha. i like that one. i like the sign idea too. maybe a sign made out of rolling paper he can take with him on the bus. you've got to make sure you're noticed.

thanks in advance for doing this. have fun

McDermit
08-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I didn't know Merle had been pardoned. I'm learning a lot tonight.

Where would one get rolling paper at? (probably a dumb question.. lol.. but I really have no clue!)

amonasro
08-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Beach Balls.

Not a bad idea! Make a giant fake joint with the Ron Paul Revolution logo on it, and toss it on up. Too bad you couldn't fill it with real product, or Willie might light it up!

richard1984
08-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah. I'd toss him a few caps, a joint, and some Ron Paul information with a link to freeme.tv (http://www.ronpaulnation.com/tv.html). Tell him to eat the shrooms, smoke the joint, and watch Ron Paul videos. Or, you know, you could just throw him a joint. But party favors would probably be appreciated!! ;)

(Hell. I know I'd appreciate it!!! :D )

Suzu
08-28-2007, 12:30 AM
Willie likes to sign hats with a felt pen. Hand him a Ron Paul hat to sign, and then hand him a Ron Paul DVD to keep.

McDermit
08-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Willie likes to sign hats with a felt pen. Hand him a Ron Paul hat to sign, and then hand him a Ron Paul DVD to keep.Where could I get a Ron Paul hat on a day's notic though? :confused:

Wish I would have known about this concert much sooner.

Thom1776
08-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Throw a banner, about the size of a beach towel, big, but just small enough for one person to hold, up on stage, right to Willie's feet.

The banner should read something like: "RON PAUL WILL ABOLISH THE IRS".

Hopefully, Willie will hold it up for the whole crowd to see and comment on it.

LibertyEagle
08-28-2007, 01:14 AM
I didn't know Merle had been pardoned. I'm learning a lot tonight.

Where would one get rolling paper at? (probably a dumb question.. lol.. but I really have no clue!)

It's the same paper that people use to roll their own cigarettes. They sell out at most convenience stores, or at least they used to. And of course, tobacco shops and other "specialty" stores. ;) I, of course have no personal experience with the matter; however, someone told me about it many years ago in college. :)

beermotor
08-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Oo. Didn't know that. Thank you!

At least 2 of the 4 of us going will be sporting RP shirts (my dad and his wife might or might not.. it's pop's birthday, so I'm not going to push the issue!)

And we'll get an Ozzfest flyer to him for sure.

Should we take a sign to hold up for Willie? Or skip the sign?

Throw him your underwear with RP literature taped to it... that'll be funny, AND informative!

LibertyEagle
08-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Throw him your underwear with RP literature taped to it... that'll be funny, AND informative!

Yeah, but it might be "informative" in a way you don't mean. Think about it.

belian78
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
I'd have to say that having him sign some RP literature. and give him a hand written literature with a slim jim, and tell him "Mr. Nelson, if ever someone could get behind Dr Paul's stances, it would be you. Please take some time to look a little more at his candidacy, and PS I loved your show". Definately wear RP shirts.

the joint thing, that's more rock concert, not getting attention for a political candidate.

Dary
08-28-2007, 07:30 AM
the joint thing, that's more rock concert, not getting attention for a political candidate.

http://audio.norml.org/willie_nelson_01_decrim.mp3

For some reason, I think Willie would appreciate it.

belian78
08-28-2007, 07:32 AM
well willie might, but if any news crew got ahold of it... the story, not the joint. ;-)

Dary
08-28-2007, 07:41 AM
well willie might, but if any news crew got ahold of it... the story, not the joint. ;-)

Ron's stance on the subject is already out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8t7jqis2Mc

Dustancostine
08-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Just be careful not to get kicked out for throwing items on stage.

--Dustan

McDermit
08-28-2007, 12:39 PM
I've had no luck finding weed. Lol.

McDermit
08-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Willie didn't hold up the sign that we threw on stage, but he took one of the Hempfest flyers and stuck it in his pocket during the show. (My gf went up and handed it to him. He bent down to get it.) And he kind of gave my girlfriend a thumbs up when she held up a 2 sided sign that said "Ron Paul will END the WAR and the IRS!" Security started pointing at her and coming towards us looking all pissed, so we didn't tempt fate by holding it up long. Maybe a minute, tops.

I put a slim jim on the stage right at merle's feet, and he looked down at it, then proceeded to ignore it. *shrug*

We gave out about 800 slim jims before the concert started and the anouther 100 or so once inside. We put liberty cards on the cars near where we parked as well. We didn't really talk to many people (aside from a few guys that my gf talked to. go figure!) Most everyone just wanted to get inside and sit down. I saw a couple slim jims on the ground as we were leaving, but not too many.

Annnnd we had 3 beach balls bouncing around early in the night. They all just had "RON PAUL 2008" and the website written on them in Sharpie. Security confiscated 2 of them pretty quickly. The third one went missing for the longest time, then reappeared for a few minutes later in the night.

It was fun, and we got RP's name out a little bit. And we converted the guys sitting next to us (17-20 year old potheads) into supporters in a matter of minutes using the Ozzfest flyers. Yay!

I should have some pics tomorrow, we can't find the camer at the moment though. :rolleyes:

SeanEdwards
08-28-2007, 10:28 PM
I've had no luck finding weed. Lol.

If you couldn't find weed at a Willie Nelson concert it must be because Willie smoked it all. :D

JAHOGS
08-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Willie didn't hold up the sign that we threw on stage, but he took one of the Hempfest flyers and stuck it in his pocket during the show. (My gf went up and handed it to him. He bent down to get it.) And he kind of gave my girlfriend a thumbs up when she held up a 2 sided sign that said "Ron Paul will END the WAR and the IRS!" Security started pointing at her and coming towards us looking all pissed, so we didn't tempt fate by holding it up long. Maybe a minute, tops.

I put a slim jim on the stage right at merle's feet, and he looked down at it, then proceeded to ignore it. *shrug*

We gave out about 800 slim jims before the concert started and the anouther 100 or so once inside. We put liberty cards on the cars near where we parked as well. We didn't really talk to many people (aside from a few guys that my gf talked to. go figure!) Most everyone just wanted to get inside and sit down. I saw a couple slim jims on the ground as we were leaving, but not too many.

Annnnd we had 3 beach balls bouncing around early in the night. They all just had "RON PAUL 2008" and the website written on them in Sharpie. Security confiscated 2 of them pretty quickly. The third one went missing for the longest time, then reappeared for a few minutes later in the night.

It was fun, and we got RP's name out a little bit. And we converted the guys sitting next to us (17-20 year old potheads) into supporters in a matter of minutes using the Ozzfest flyers. Yay!

I should have some pics tomorrow, we can't find the camer at the moment though. :rolleyes:

That's awesome. Two more supporters plus more. So did Willie get to see the name RON PAUL a lot?

born2drv
08-28-2007, 11:28 PM
I have front row tix to the Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard/Ray Price concert in Holmdel, NJ tomorrow.

In 2003, Willie gave an official endorsement of Kucinich. To my knowledge, he has not yet publicly endorsed Kucinich or anyone else this time around.

He has been arrested for possession of shrooms and marijuana. His home and other assets were auctioned off by the IRS for a $16mil bill for back taxes. He wrote a song that was pro-gay, and another that was anti-war and anti-Bush.

Soooo.. what do I do at the concert tomorrow to get Ron Paul on Willie Nelson's radar? I'm not sure how the stage is set up and whether I'll be able to get info in his hands or not. If so, I'm considering having one of the Ozzfest flyers and a slim jim. Or maybe forego all the standards and just write a personalized letter? I don't know..

Obviously, we're going to have to hold up a sign. What should the sign say? And should we be doing anything else? (We'll be handing out slim jims/liberty cards outside.. but beyond that?)

just read the whole thread ;) congrats, sounds like you had fun!

McDermit
08-28-2007, 11:33 PM
That's awesome. Two more supporters plus more. So did Willie get to see the name RON PAUL a lot?

We had 3 RP tshirts in the front row, RIGHT in front of him. Dead center. He saw "Ron Paul" every time he looked down!

The guys next to us said my gf was on the big screen at one point.. but we totally missed it, so I'm not sure if they got a good look at her RP shirt or not. :o

beermotor
08-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Yeah, but it might be "informative" in a way you don't mean. Think about it.

4k posts, and no sense of humor?

Cmon dude!

constituent
08-29-2007, 07:56 AM
what was that song about cowboys almost always being in love w/ their brothers?

was that pro-gay or anti-homophobe?

JAHOGS
08-29-2007, 08:00 AM
We went to the Brooks and Dunn concert with Alan Jackson last week. They have a banner that scrolls in between shows, where you can send a text message and everyone can see it. I sent one that said "VOTE RON PAUL 2008" and "GOOGLE, YOUTUBE RON PAUL"

I would say about 13,000 people where there but don't know how many actually seen it. It's a small way to continue to put his name out there.

Slugg
08-29-2007, 10:39 AM
We went to the Brooks and Dunn concert with Alan Jackson last week. They have a banner that scrolls in between shows, where you can send a text message and everyone can see it. I sent one that said "VOTE RON PAUL 2008" and "GOOGLE, YOUTUBE RON PAUL"

I would say about 13,000 people where there but don't know how many actually seen it. It's a small way to continue to put his name out there.

Awesome!! Good stuff!