PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and tobacco as currency?

christagious
07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I was just wondering why many of you on here were saying that Alcohol and tobacco will be good bartering items in the future? Will people be worried about getting their nicotine fix and alcohol fix when they're struggling to survive?

And if these are good bartering items, what would you suggest me to buy? Packs of cigarettes, pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, bottles of Jack? What do you exactly mean by alcohol and tobacco?

Thanks in advance

T-K
07-01-2008, 10:35 PM
I say we back the dollar with Jack Daniels

Kludge
07-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Alcohol is controlled by the state gov't =/

Danke
07-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Coffee and Tobacco is what you want to stock up on.

People always figure a way to distill their own brew.

Zolah
07-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Chewing tobacco? :| I didn't know that still existed, whatwith all the links to mouth cancer and such..

Trance Dance Master
07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Best place to stock up on tobacco.

www.smokes-spirits.com

Cartons for as little as $10.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
07-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm hoping hemp-currency makes a comeback.

latkinson6
07-02-2008, 12:22 AM
good read:
http://www.americanforeignrelations.com/Al-Am/Alcoholic-Beverages-and-Production.html

Some farmer-distillers lacked cash, and whiskey often circulated as an item of barter on the frontier, where it was traded at general stores. A barrel of whiskey was a convenient way to keep assets in easily saleable liquid form.

Spirit of '76
07-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Tobacco was currency when our country was young. George Washington, writing to the Continental Congress on behalf of his troops during their long winter in Valley Forge, wrote, "If you can't send money, send tobacco."

Did you know that right now in Canada pipe tobacco is worth more per ounce than silver? If the anti-smoking zealots have their way here as well, you can expect to see that in this country too.

Cigarettes are a bad investment, as long term storage is nearly impossible. They go stale quickly. Tobacco sealed in a metal can, on the other hand, actually improves with age, like wine.

I've seen fifty year old cans of pipe tobacco sell for upwards of two thousand dollars on eBay. Some people have pipe tobacco cellars that could truly make them a fortune.

christagious
07-03-2008, 07:36 AM
It's hard for me to think that these items would be unavailable though. I'm sure Budweiser and Marlboro have plenty of lobbyists to ensure that their products stay on the market.

Spirit of '76
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
It's hard for me to think that these items would be unavailable though. I'm sure Budweiser and Marlboro have plenty of lobbyists to ensure that their products stay on the market.

They're going to have big trouble keeping their wares on the market if, for example, gas prices go so high that truck transport becomes unfeasible as a means of delivery.