PDA

View Full Version : Container gardening

MsDoodahs
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Favorite containers?

I love Love LOVE the "tomato success kit" from Gardener's Supply. Second favorite is the Earthbox.

Bruno
07-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Favorite containers?

I love Love LOVE the "tomato success kit" from Gardener's Supply. Second favorite is the Earthbox.

We haven't exactly gone that high-tech yet. We have a backyard garden that gets too much shade due a tree that needs trimming, but we will still have more than enough tomatoes. We also have some regular containers with potting soil with a few pepper varieties in them that we have placed in sunnier spots.
That Garden Supply set up looks pretty nice, but pricey. You can take the concept and make some yourself, though they might not look as snazzy.

Dieseler
12-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Peppers in 5 gallon buckets, potatoes in 55 gallon drums and bump for more ideas.

ghemminger
12-25-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm use brick and cement planters

rancher89
12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I've seen tomatoes and all sorts of thing being grown in old washing machine tubs.

strawberry towers can be inventive also, saw a fixture from a store and my first thought was that it'd be a great berry tower.

potatoes in old tires, just keep stacking them up, as you harvest, take a tire off....

LibertyEagle
12-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I've seen tomatoes and all sorts of thing being grown in old washing machine tubs.

strawberry towers can be inventive also, saw a fixture from a store and my first thought was that it'd be a great berry tower.

potatoes in old tires, just keep stacking them up, as you harvest, take a tire off....

The only thing I'd be kinda concerned about with regard to using these things as planters is that some of the chemicals that are within this things would leech into the soil and right on into the plant.

Agent CSL
12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I think the best containers are made of clay and untreated wood. Unfortunately both of those things are expensive in today's world, and they also break down rather fast. I'd really recommend against old tires and washing machines. Once upon a time people thought old tires would make a great water habitat, now we are paying millions to pull them out because they leeched chemicals into the water and made a mess much worse.

JenHarris
12-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Favorite containers?

I have also used the tomato success kit with good results. I've grown salad greens, peppers, cucumbers and a bunch of other stuff in them as well.