PDA

View Full Version : Chris Peden - letter on Texas Convention - July 1st

Jeremy
07-01-2008, 04:14 PM
I wanted to touch base and update you on some of the good things that have been going on since I last wrote.

Republican Party of Texas Convention

The George R Brown Convention Center in Houston has long since been cleared by the Republican

Party of Texas, but the actions taken during the convention will last for years. I was extremely honored

and proud to represent Galveston County as a delegate to this convention and doubly honored to be

selected by the party to represent Texas Republican's at the national convention as an at-large alternate.

Thank you for trusting me to get the job done for conservatives.

Now for a convention recap. The convention opened amid controversy as the Wharton County GOP chair brought lawsuits challenging delegates and party rules; of her own party. As we waited for the courts to rule on seating the legitimately selected delegates, this very small, but loud, minority group attempted, through disruptive behavior and incessant points of order, to have illegitimate delegates from a rump convention seated. While they certainly lengthened the first day's activities, their mission ultimately failed.

I want to be clear about my view of this group. First, their antics diminished their message. I am a firm believer in our conservative platform and conservative governance. I have sought to practice these principles as an elected official and voter. I also stand on the rule of law. When an individual believes the party has strayed from the platform or violated a rule, we have procedures and processes by which their complaint is heard. Ultimately, the party prevailed in every one of these lawsuits and the plaintiff was required to pay the Republican Party legal fees.

However, at a time when our party needs to unite, there are those who are attempting to divide us. If we are to win in November, we can't allow petty grievances to diminish our party message. I believe our party has the right platform and we must unite behind it.

As a delegate, I attended the Senate District Caucus as well as the Congressional District Caucus. I must say that I was very impressed with the attitudes and representation these two districts had at the delegate and alternate level. There were very few interruptions and the groups, although holding very different views on a number of issues, displayed great unity and proper decorum. When the Republican Party nominee has differing views than your own, you must support your views but not at the expense of the nominee.

I hope as we work together to get our Republican Candidates elected, we can remember the important things that unite us: having strict constitutionalist judges appointed to the Supreme Court, lower taxes and smaller government, winning the war on terror, and promoting pro-life conservative values.

Thanks again for your support and confidence in allowing me to be a delegate at the state convention and an alternate to the national convention. I will continue to promote the conservative agenda.

2nd Amendment Victory in U.S. Supreme Court

I was pleased to see that the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed what we as conservatives have known all along - that the U.S. Constitution guarantees individuals the right to keep and bear arms.

This is a great moment in our nation's history. It vindicates individual Americans all over this country who have always known that this is their freedom worth protecting.

Anti-gun activists and politicians can no longer deny that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right. All law-abiding Americans have a basic, God-given right to arm themselves and to defend themselves in their homes. Washington, D.C. must now respect that right.

Republican Party of Texas Vice Chairman Robin Armstrong, M. D.

For those of you who are not in the Houston area, you should read this Q & A with Dr. Armstrong that was published in the Sunday Houston Chronicle. Dr. Armstrong was reelected as Vice Chairman of the party overwhelmingly at the convention and he is the kind of conservative leader for the future we can be proud of.

As always, I encourage you all to become informed and involved in your Republican party. Please encourage your friends and family who live in the 14th District to go to my website and sign up for The Peden Perspective e-mail updates on the conservative issues and events/activities that are going on in the district.

Learn how you can join a Republican club in your community. You can have fun, get to know other Republicans and make a difference.

Together we will realize our vision of "Conservative Results.For A Change". We are still focused and committed to working for a safer, stronger, more united America and all these things are possible with your help.

For the future of you and your family... stay active, stay informed, and stay well.

Thank you and let's keep working together!

God Bless You and Texas,
Chris Peden

i subscribed to his news letter about a month ago

typical Peed-on garbage!

devil21
07-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I guess he has a lot of free time since Ron Paul stomped him in the primary. He still takes a shot at us. What a bitter little man.

Jeremy
07-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I guess he has a lot of free time since Ron Paul stomped him in the primary. He still takes a shot at us. What a bitter little man.

It's not simply free time because he has said that he'll run in 2010. In other words, we need to be ready to defeat him again =)

My guess is that it will be even easier though... but we should expect the worse, just in case

RonPaulFanInGA
07-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Guess I'll re-hash this:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2niy3oy.jpg

Bring it on in 2010 Peden. If you were ever going to beat Paul in the republican congressional primary for TX-14, it was going to be on March 4, 2008. You lost by over forty percentage points a couple of months ago in a one-on-one race vs. Ron Paul. You're old-hat, tired, stale and irrelevant. If you want to waste more time and money losing to Paul by an even larger margin, go right ahead. Be assured, we'll be there to give Paul another million to his congressional campaign too!

Bryan
07-01-2008, 05:57 PM
The convention opened amid controversy as the Wharton County GOP chair brought lawsuits challenging delegates and party rules;
False. The lawsuit was only for the party not following the Texas Election Code (which they are in clear violation of). See:
http://www.fairconvention.org

this very small
We had nearly 1/3 the delegates, give or take. You can hear the applauds when the Wharton County GOP chair spoke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ZC26KGb5I
Votes for Paul Perry (an open Ron Paul supporter running for party chair) were quite good too- he received 1,783 vs 3,884.

this very small, but loud, minority group attempted, through disruptive behavior and incessant points of order, to have... I also stand on the rule of law. When an individual believes the party has strayed from the platform or violated a rule, we have procedures and processes by which their complaint is heard.... their antics diminished their message.
At what point is it that when others who work within the "procedures and processes", be considered as engaging in "disruptive behavior" and "antics" with "incessant points of order" or otherwise slandered?

Further, where is the proof of this "disruptive behavior" and "antics"? I have video of nearly the whole thing- there was no such thing. The only happening that was not standard affairs was when one person attempted to get attention to appeal the decision of the chair when his mic was cut (which you can hear clearly in the video- see the end of the last segment) and an issue with a Sergeant at Arms. Once the chair honored the request for the appeal (which he is required to do) then that was it.

Day 1: (temporary committee)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUJNUkBkVFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uSFLXLaLOw

Day 2: (permanent committee)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkoA9RNvQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMV9rlWDENk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkyIkMfiNtM

As we waited for the courts to rule on seating the legitimately selected delegates
The audio recording shows clear violations of GOP rules by this "legitimately selected delegates". Listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-fARjv3tFk

While they certainly lengthened the first day's activities
I thought that the three hours of speeches which started at the time of the published "first general secession" and before the meeting was brought to order to conduct business did a lot more to lengthened the day! I fail to see how a few proceedings of business is an issue.

Ultimately, the party prevailed in every one of these lawsuits and the plaintiff was required to pay the Republican Party legal fees.
False, and false. The case is still in court and the plaintiff has only had to pay usual filing fees, despite the misinformation presented by the chair at the convention that they paid the GOP legal fees.

we can't allow petty grievances to diminish our party message.
Freedom is not a petty grievance.

we can remember the important things that unite us: having strict constitutionalist judges appointed to the Supreme Court, lower taxes and smaller government ... and promoting pro-life conservative values.
Sounds great- let's do it. Talk is cheap however, why are elected GOP politicians not supporting this?

winning the war on terror
I fail to see how fighting wars against concepts with no named enemy helps to foster smaller government. Looking at the war spending of the last six years supports this position quite well.

Paulitical Correctness
07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
So preposterous I almost Peden my pants!

SnappleLlama
07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
So preposterous I almost Peden my pants!

So lame, and yet...so damn funny!!! ROFL!! :D

texasbelle
07-01-2008, 06:50 PM
We had nearly 1/3 the delegates, give or take. You can hear the applauds when the Wharton County GOP chair spoke:

True! I was there and I would definitely agree with 1/3!

Dustancostine
07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey Bryan,

Robert McDonald is looking for a video of his speech that he gave for National Committeeman. Do you have it?

Thanks,
Dustan

Dustancostine
07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
BTW: Penden has choosen his friends. They are all going down in 2010. He will have less of a chance then than he did this time.

AmericasLastHope
07-02-2008, 11:19 PM
When the Republican Party nominee has differing views than your own, you must support your views but not at the expense of the nominee.

Towing the party line. :rolleyes: