PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry Rights in California?

newyearsrevolution08
07-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I am looking into ANY open carry options here in California and was hoping someone more informed than I might enlighten me on our rights here in California.

I looked here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Open_Carr y_Laws

And from what I can see, the best I can do without getting a concealed permit in my city (ie: over 200k residents)is to open carry unloaded and no real other option.

It also says I can have a loaded magazine however if wanted as long as it isn't locked and loaded.

-------------

Any clarification or thoughts on what we can do here in California to make bearing arms common place then please start up a conversation.

rmodel65
07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
idk about kali but check out http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/ that is a state specific room on cali laws esp open carry

newyearsrevolution08
07-01-2008, 01:51 PM
idk about kali but check out http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/ that is a state specific room on cali laws esp open carry

that is exactly what I was looking for, OTHERS here who are already doing it..

thank you....

I have a small group of friends here (10+ ) that want to do an open carry litter pickup in California and start doing our part to help make open carry a common thing here in California.

Get that fear out of the minds of the public and help blow this whole "save the children" bullshit out of the water.

More law abiding gun carrying citizens the safer I feel.

Dr.3D
07-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Many states allow open carry but you will be messed with on a constant basis because people are not used to seeing a person with a pistol walking down the street.

I suppose the only way to get people used to see a person with a pistol walking down the street is to get a lot of people doing it. Seems like the media won't tell people what is allowed so they will remain uninformed.

newyearsrevolution08
07-01-2008, 02:21 PM
We will be setting up a "open carry litter removal" day here in Fresno, Ca soon, there are too many residents in the fresno/clovis area who would rather US have the guns then the gangsters that THINK they run the city.

I agree that the only way to change perception is to go out and do it SO, we will get things setup in our city for the first litter removal day and odds are end up with fresno swat on our backs.... Either way, the more and more that do it the more and more people will realize what their rights really are.

One thing I want to do BEFORE we go out however is role play a few scenarios including interrogation and detainment and what our rights are and what we HAVE to tell them and what does NOT need to be said.

I remember when I was a teen here in Fresno and remember seeing open carry as well as the gun racks and so on. We need all of that back.....

Clean up the city a bit AND educate the public? What a great day....

As far as the law goes I want to have this on every person there
http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

If anything, those who don't know the EXACT wording of the law can atleast give that paper WITH the laws on them to help educate the police that might assume we are in the wrong.

Many states allow open carry but you will be messed with on a constant basis because people are not used to seeing a person with a pistol walking down the street.

I suppose the only way to get people used to see a person with a pistol walking down the street is to get a lot of people doing it. Seems like the media won't tell people what is allowed so they will remain uninformed.

thebluedog
07-01-2008, 05:36 PM
It's possible that even the assault weapon ban in CA could be deemed to be unconstitutional because of the latest decision by the Supreme Court of the United States. Justice Scalia's opinion mentioned that citizens should be able to have the same type of rifles that our military uses. So hopefully some of the gun laws in CA will change. I would LOVE it if the laws here changed to "shall issue" laws (in other words, the state government "shall issue" a CCW permit to anybody who qualifies). I don't think the CCW laws will change though. The unions have way too much influence on the government here including the Police Officers union which is anti-CCW.

newyearsrevolution08
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't really care to conceal carry. I want to end up being able to open carry loaded in the end of all of this. I like that we can open carry unloaded. I see that having more impact then concealed myself.

Either way, Fresno is a pain to get a ccw BUT my dad is actually working on his currently so I will soon see how hard it really is. Open carry is just more comfortable in my opinion + if it is so beneficial to conceal carry why don't our officers and military do it. I understand the plain clothes cop deal or fanny carry efforts BUT when needed open carry makes sense to me.

Either way, if more Californians practiced this locally we might GIVE a better realization to those around us that it is a GOOD thing to have those like us in their city READY to protect NOW versus waiting for a cop to come in 3-5 minutes to help them.

I am excited to see the PROGRESS that is going on across the states and hope more finally STAND UP and enjoy their rights to bear arms whether legally open carry or concealed.

It's possible that even the assault weapon ban in CA could be deemed to be unconstitutional because of the latest decision by the Supreme Court of the United States. Justice Scalia's opinion mentioned that citizens should be able to have the same type of rifles that our military uses. So hopefully some of the gun laws in CA will change. I would LOVE it if the laws here changed to "shall issue" laws (in other words, the state government "shall issue" a CCW permit to anybody who qualifies). I don't think the CCW laws will change though. The unions have way too much influence on the government here including the Police Officers union which is anti-CCW.

Doktor_Jeep
07-01-2008, 08:16 PM

Well, it worked for the homosexuals and cross dressers.

Seriously. Perhaps Janet Reno can weigh in on this.

Of course there is a difference. If you don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle and you see a "couple" holding hands on the sidewalk, try calling the police and say something like "they are wriggling their weenies at little kids" and they might get arrested but otherwise once the truth is known you will be in trouble, likely for a hate crime or making false statements. Make false statements and using the cops as your personal weapon against things you don't like is probably the very thing that is breaking the back of democracy in America, as most of the time modern politics is fueled by this mentality.

But, when some idiot POS sheeploid, the type that should all be put into wood chippers were it not cruelty to the worms on the other end of it, sees you with a holstered gun on the sidewalk, they can call the cops, say you are threatening people with it, they send a SWAT team, and you either get killed OR heinously harrassed and good luck trying to find out who made the false claim. The same prosecutors who would arrest you for making the false claim about the homosexuals will find some reason not to let your attorney have the information on who made the charge, or make that information extremely difficult to get or the record "got lost somehow" at the dispatch.

I seriouosly think of doing some open carry with a team of people equiped with hidden cameras, and try to catch someone making a false charge. Then after the smoke clears, sue the living crap out of that person. It would be a great way to make money.

Given that you can get a tiny color camera with audio for under 50 bucks now, it just might be a good project for the summer. The team will need detachments to trail those who look at you, get "that look" on their face, and get on their cell phone. They likey hang back with a big stupid grin too, waiting to see if they get you killed so they can go home and brag about it.

I think a handful of gun owners with a spare weekend might make a decent project out of this.

rmodel65
07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
We will be setting up a "open carry litter removal" day here in Fresno, Ca soon, there are too many residents in the fresno/clovis area who would rather US have the guns then the gangsters that THINK they run the city.

I agree that the only way to change perception is to go out and do it SO, we will get things setup in our city for the first litter removal day and odds are end up with fresno swat on our backs.... Either way, the more and more that do it the more and more people will realize what their rights really are.

One thing I want to do BEFORE we go out however is role play a few scenarios including interrogation and detainment and what our rights are and what we HAVE to tell them and what does NOT need to be said.

I remember when I was a teen here in Fresno and remember seeing open carry as well as the gun racks and so on. We need all of that back.....

Clean up the city a bit AND educate the public? What a great day....

As far as the law goes I want to have this on every person there
http://www.californiaopencarry.org/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

If anything, those who don't know the EXACT wording of the law can atleast give that paper WITH the laws on them to help educate the police that might assume we are in the wrong.

all you need to know is am i free to go? if they say no keep your mouth shut and say nothing. contact a lawyer and file in federal court under

and if you havent watched this then you need to http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/

mudsling3
07-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Sorry this is a bit off topic, I want get a Winchester lever action rifle from out of state and do a dealer to dealer transfer. A local CA dealer told me the July 1 measure in effect not only requires more red tape but also require me to pay sells tax for the price of the rifle. I never heard about the tax. Can anyone confirm that or refer me to the exact statement? Thanks

porcupine
07-10-2008, 05:00 PM
If you want to open carry for real, join us in New Hampshire, with the Free State Project.

TruckinMike
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
If you can't carry open, but still want to relay a message - then get a rear window advertising screen made.

While in traffic the cud chewing sheeple will have no choice but to succumb to your mass re-conditioning effort.:D

Here is what I came up with...

1. It has a clear message from our founding fathers
2. It has an image of an unassuming and friendly FN-FAL
3. It educates the Police. How could they argue those two quotes??
4. with repeated exposure the sheeple will soon be taken out of their brainwashed daze. And heck, you never know they might even ask directions to the range!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/2658265615_c831b2124a.jpg

TMike

Gideon
07-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Sorry this is a bit off topic, I want get a Winchester lever action rifle from out of state and do a dealer to dealer transfer. A local CA dealer told me the July 1 measure in effect not only requires more red tape but also require me to pay sells tax for the price of the rifle. I never heard about the tax. Can anyone confirm that or refer me to the exact statement? Thanks

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php