PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Gramm vs. Ron Paul

Kotin
06-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I was discussing this in my Texas State and Local Government class.

the textbook also remembers Phil Gramm as the first Republican Senator from Texas in a century.

I had wondered.. if Ron Paul had won, he would have been in the Textbook.. hmmm.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/021767.html

The Evil Gramm vs. Ron Paul

Writes Spencer J. Hahn: "Let us not forget that it was that Democrat turncoat, Phil Gramm, who defeated Ron Paul in the 1984 Republican Senate primary. Had Ron Paul won the primary, he would have won the general election, and become the true conscience of the Senate. I often wonder what would have been if Ron Paul had been in the Senate to filibuster every unconstitutional bill. He almost certainly would have been a presidential candidate (as Gramm was in 1996), and likely would have been taken more seriously by the MSM.

"I can never forgive Phil Gramm and the Texas GOP for taking away Ron Paul's chance to serve alongside Barry Goldwater in the Senate."

Spencer, I was involved in that campaign, when Reagan broke his moronic "11th Commandment" to speak ill of fellow Republican Ron Paul, and such figures as Karl Rove and Paul Weyrich conspired to wage a very nasty campaign against Ron. In true Republican dirty-tricks fashion, Ron's campaign office was even burglarized and his mailing list and other documents stolen. The power-elite had annointed the Philster, and would brook no grassroots opposition. Ron, of course, ran a hard and heroic campaign, complete with brilliant antiwar ads.

nate895
06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
What was the final result of the primary? How close did Ron Paul come to becoming a US Senator?

rp4vp
07-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Two things:

Actually, Senator John G. Tower was Texas's first Republican senator (not to mention statewide officeholder) since Reconstruction, when he captured Lyndon Johnson's Senate seat (when Johnson became VP) in a special election.

In the race between Gramm and Paul, Gramm won the senatorial nomination with three-fourths of the vote. :(

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1282/is_v36/ai_3521562