PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of LawsonForLiberty Moneybomb

pacelli
06-30-2008, 10:07 AM
In order to learn from events to improve the future, I felt it necessary to open a post-mortem discussion about yesterday's money bomb to BJ Lawson's campaign, based on data.

From today's email from Lawson's campaign:

As you know, the grassroots community organized a money bomb yesterday. The results are in -- from midnight to midnight, we had 292 donors give the campaign $17,439.36.

1) $17,439.36 spread across 292 donors gives an average donation of $59.72 per donor.

2) Many have held the theory that moneybomb pledge websites do not reflect nearly the actual number of individuals who will be donating on the date of the money bomb. The pledge website, lawsonlibertyfund.com, gathered 202 pledges and 2,696 page views. The actual number of people donating to the campaign was 292. In this case, the majority of people who donated did make a pledge, while 90 did not pledge.

3) The date of this moneybomb was first announced on June 17, 2008, which was 13 days prior to the date of the fundraiser.

Any other analyses or observations?

hopeforamerica
06-30-2008, 10:15 AM
My only observation is that we would have done tons better if the Campaign for Liberty would have sent out an email to the 64,000 people on the mailing list. How can we get that done?

pacelli
06-30-2008, 10:28 AM
My only observation is that we would have done tons better if the Campaign for Liberty would have sent out an email to the 64,000 people on the mailing list. How can we get that done?

Much agreed. They did put up a blog post on their front page a few days before the money bomb, but due to the nature of blogs, it was quickly bumped to mid-page after the CFL posted pictures of their new office. Many of us involved in spreading the word about the money bomb did email people at the CFL on the day that the money bomb news went 'live'. For future money bombs, if 2 weeks gets a blog post, maybe 4 weeks or so will get an email, especially since they now have an office.

amy31416
06-30-2008, 10:29 AM
My personal observation: I spent several hours the day before the money bomb messaging meetup groups to promote it. That should have already been done about a week prior to yesterday.

Also, I don't think it was a failure, but a good learning experience. $17k is nothing to sneeze at, especially given donor fatigue.

james1844
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Setting a suggested donation amount...something like 29 dollars- to correspond with the date - would have been cute.

james1844
06-30-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm with Amy on this one, its a good showing for a short notice job.