PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Constitution - Supreme Being

Razmear
06-29-2008, 02:05 AM
This has been a thorn in my side since I learned about it.
In the South Carolina Constitution Article VI Section 2 it states:

SECTION 2. Person denying existence of Supreme Being not to hold office.

No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.

(source: http://www.scstatehouse.net/scconstitution/a06.htm )

Which would mean that I am ineligible to run for any office in SC due to my pantheistic belief system (many gods, none 'supreme'). I would assume that this clause would also exclude Hindu's, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, and several others from running for office. Also, it states "The Supreme Being" not just "A Supreme Being", which implies that only Christians can run for office in the state.

Now the question is, does the US Constitution's exclusion of 'any religious test' override this section of the SC Constitution, and is anyone willing to make a stink about it?
I don't really have any desire to run for office, but when folks say that I'm prohibited from doing something, it tends to make me want to do it even more.

Thoughts?
eb

Razmear
06-29-2008, 02:17 AM
A bit of Google shows that NC, Texas, Arkansas, Maryland and Tennessee also have similar rules.

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Laws_and_other_rules_against_atheists_and_agnostic s

In addition in Arkansas you are deemed incompetent to be a witness in a trial:
Article 19. Miscellaneous Provisions. § 1. Atheists disqualified from holding office or testifying as witness.
No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.[2]

hypnagogue
06-29-2008, 03:51 AM
Yeah, I've been aware of these provisions, being a resident of Texas, for some time now. I've never seen any activity to right these affronts. I believe these are completely unenforced. That may be good on one level, but it contributes to the practice of ignoring Constitutional Law, which is bad obviously.

I almost wouldn't want to take up the issue though. For one, it doesn't affect anyone due to non-enforcement, and secondly, the shit storm of religious lunacy you'd be up against would be enough to turn a decent man physically ill. But hey, if anyone wants to start a petition, you can count on my signature.