PDA

View Full Version : Independence Day Thoughts

Matt Collins
06-26-2008, 09:13 PM
"Happy Independence Day!

Although I personally miss the days of Black Cats, roman candles and "real fireworks" (in the Commonwealth of Virginia we're lucky to get our hands on sparklers), the fourth of July has taken on a much greater meaning for me over the years.

Throughout the year I take the time to go back to what remains, a beautiful and undoubtedly libertarian document, the Declaration of Independence (http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/declaration.html)

Two hundred and thirty one years ago, our founding fathers knew the true meaning of liberty. They understood that upon our first moment of life, rights were endowed upon us. They were not granted by a government or agreed upon by a legislature and they are not to be infringed.

Our founding fathers "got it", their eyes were opened through study and understanding of their life and government . . . how it should be and how it should not be.

Each time I read through the transcript of the Declaration of Independence, I'm struck with emotions of pride in the wisdom of our founding fathers and gratitude for their actions. Each time I read those words I am immediately inspired and motivated; but recently, as my understanding increases, I'm also struck with sadness.

My friend, a stark contrast exists between the Americans of today and those of 1776. Today, many fail to understand not only the purpose of government, they fail to realize that those "certain unalienable Rights" are not simple things that have been granted by the government.

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness are among OUR rights that are to be secured and protected by the government.

Many Americans today also fail to realize that the government's powers are to be granted by the consent of the governed. Even worse, our government and our modern leaders fail to recognize this and as a result, abuses of power are assured.

If you can, take some time and read through the Declaration of Independence and be happy that our nation is built upon such a solid and libertarian foundation.

While we have a great deal of work to do to get back to the original intent that was expressed in 1776, we will eventually get there through our work and dedication to those principles.

Thank you for being part of this small community that is the Libertarian Party and thank you for doing all that you can to make our nation a place where Liberty is more than a false expression but instead, a right that we all enjoy.

In Liberty,

Shane Cory
Former Executive Director
Libertarian National Committee"