PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS Interpretation of the object "Arms"

Cowlesy
06-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Scalia cites the 1773 edition of Samuel Johnson's dictionary which defined "arms" as "weapons of offence, or armour of defence". He also cites Timothy Cunningham's 1771 dictionary which defined "arms" as "any thing that a man wears for his defence, or takes into his hands, or useth in wrath to cast at or strike another."

Scalia says that the term was applied, then as now [I question this], to weapons that were NOT specifically designed for military use and were not employed in a military capacity. [This makes me question what was/is "specifically designed for military use", and was/is not employed in a "military capacity". On its face, it appears to be upholding in this amateur's opinion, the essential banning of certain auto-firearms [though some can be obtained with a FFL], and leaves open the door to the banning of any firearm that has been adapted for military use].

Now to continue reading...

tonesforjonesbones
06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Well..militia's were different then than they are now. A militia was called on in an emergency but they weren't organized all the time. The men were called out of their homes when there was a need for a militia, and they brought their weapons with them. That's the way I look at it. TONES

foofighter20x
06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Kind of makes one wonder if arms has no military connotation, then why did they call them serjeants-at-arms when they defended the king? What'd they use, twigs? Did they ask nicely if someone got too close?

Really. :rolleyes:

tonesforjonesbones
06-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Those guys back in the day weren't running to form a militia with their machine guns and hand grenades or claymore mines ...they had rifles, muskets and those hand guns..don't you think? Did they run out of the house with a cannon and cannon balls? TONES

demolama
06-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Those guys back in the day weren't running to form a militia with their machine guns and hand grenades or claymore mines ...they had rifles, muskets and those hand guns..don't you think? Did they run out of the house with a cannon and cannon balls? TONES

actually some did yes