PDA

View Full Version : Spreading Ourselves To Thin?

mport1
06-26-2008, 08:48 AM
I've realized as of recently that there seems to be very little talk of already well established pro-liberty groups. It seems to me that we are devoting too much of our time and resources to other projects that we create from the ground up.

I think it is great that we are getting active and starting various projects and I don't mean this to slight them at all, but with our limited resources I think that we should be talking more about funding and helping better established and larger things like the Mises Institute, Cato Institute, Reason, Lew Rockwell, Free Talk Live, Free State Project, etc. These guys already have a good foundation that we can expand upon with our assistance.

Your thoughts?

acptulsa
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
A good friend of mine has a way of answering questions like this. Two ways, actually. Sometimes he shakes his head and says yes, sometimes he nods his head and says no.

Yes we should. The new programs, however, often address specific audiences who aren't being reached by the groups you mention. We're trying to preach to more than the choir. So, there's a place for both.

Are we spread too thin? If we can fatten up our ranks, that will solve itself...

mport1
06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Good points, although I think part of the reason why these organizations aren't reaching as many people as we would like is that they don't have enough funds. Imagine if we raised a few hundred thousand for a few of those what they would be able to do in terms of adverstising and what not.

Jeremy
06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
How to not waste money:

Don't donate to Trevor Lyman's things. :D

mport1
06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
How to not waste money:

Don't donate to Trevor Lyman's things. :D

Why do you say that? I guess I'm kind of out of the loop on this since I've been hearing a lot of negative stuff about him but I'm not sure why.

Jeremy
06-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Why do you say that? I guess I'm kind of out of the loop on this since I've been hearing a lot of negative stuff about him but I'm not sure why.

well read my thread about July 4th

and then you have the blimp... which was awesome and all, but still a waste of money in the end

acptulsa
06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
He's probably referring to this:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=144528

In any case, there's a lot to what you say. Quite a lot. New and different can be effective, but in many cases these efforts are well placed to catch on as the message of liberty does. They will be new and different to most people. And, be it Lyman or someone else, an established effort has the advantage of being known, so you have much more idea if your money is well spent there or not. Any vehicle, old or new, provided it gets us where we need to be!

dannno
06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
All top-down organizations eventually get taken over and controlled by government plant(s). By spreading ourselves thin and having no real leadership (except some direction from Dr. Paul and hopefully eventually his son) we help prevent this from occurring.

mport1
06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
He's probably referring to this:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=144528

In any case, there's a lot to what you say. Quite a lot. New and different can be effective, but in many cases these efforts are well placed to catch on as the message of liberty does. They will be new and different to most people. And, be it Lyman or someone else, an established effort has the advantage of being known, so you have much more idea if your money is well spent there or not. Any vehicle, old or new, provided it gets us where we need to be!

Hm, well I don't really see a problem with that. He is providing a service for these candidates to help them raise money they probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise and then using some of it to build up his pro-liberty website. The guy and his company has got to make money to survive. Just seems like the free market at work to me.

acptulsa
06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Just seems like the free market at work to me.

Caveat emptor. I have been known to actively seek out the supplier who will put a few of my pennies in his pocket for selling me a good and make up in volume what he or she's not making in gouge.

Also the free market at work. Let's try to get the max bang for our freedom bucks, shall we?

Jeremy
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I've helped with the BJ Lawson moneybomb, but I'm not asking for money....

mport1
06-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I've helped with the BJ Lawson moneybomb, but I'm not asking for money....

But isn't he doing everything full time now, or at least part time?

lucius
06-26-2008, 01:45 PM
All top-down organizations eventually get taken over and controlled by government plant(s). By spreading ourselves thin and having no real leadership (except some direction from Dr. Paul and hopefully eventually his son) we help prevent this from occurring.

Spoken like Dr. Antony Sutton:

"No one is going to create the anti-The Order movement. That would be foolish and unnecessary. It could be infiltrated, bought off, or diverted all too easily. Why play by the rules set by the enemy?

The movement that will topple The Order will be extremely simple and most effective. It will be ten thousand or a million Americans who come to the conclusion that they don't want the State to be boss, that they prefer to live under the protection of the Constitution. They will make their own independent decision to thwart The Order and it will take ten thousand or a million forms."

I always like it when Dr. Paul starts out a talk with, 'Thank you for inviting me to your revolution.'

Oyate
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I've realized as of recently that there seems to be very little talk of already well established pro-liberty groups. It seems to me that we are devoting too much of our time and resources to other projects that we create from the ground up.

I think we'll go through a kind of Darwinian selection process. Unsupported initiatives will get rolled into the more successful ones. I think we're beginning to see that with the gazillions of websites we put up in the heyday of the campaign. The ones nobody visits, well, their webmasters will just pull the plug one day. Or we'll merge in other ways. When it became too much of a hassle for RevolutionMarch.com to maintain a forum, we just linked to this site and DailyPaul.

LibertyEagle
06-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I think it is great that we are getting active and starting various projects and I don't mean this to slight them at all, but with our limited resources I think that we should be talking more about funding and helping better established and larger things like the Mises Institute, Cato Institute, Reason, Lew Rockwell, Free Talk Live, Free State Project, etc. These guys already have a good foundation that we can expand upon with our assistance.

For me, I wouldn't support the CATO Institute and Reason, anymore than I would donate to John McCain's campaign. Because in my opinion, they sold out libertarianism long ago for the siren song of big government.

BTW, did anyone notice CATO promoting Ron Paul when he was still in the race? Nah, I didn't either.

Just my 2 cents.

mport1
06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
For me, I wouldn't support the CATO Institute and Reason, anymore than I would donate to John McCain's campaign. Because in my opinion, they sold out libertarianism long ago for the siren song of big government.

BTW, did anyone notice CATO promoting Ron Paul when he was still in the race? Nah, I didn't either.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree but I threw those in there for those who don't necessarily support extremely small government or anarcho-capitalism like myself. I personally think Mises, Lew Rockwell, and Free Talk Live would be much better to give to.