PDA

View Full Version : Victory!

PatriotG
06-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Victory!

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1818098,00.html

Interestingly, why doesnt Justice John Paul Stevens understand this?

Quote from article: In dissent, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority "would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons."

NewFederalist
06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
This IS big! While I don't have much good to say about the Bush Administration I will give him this... his Supreme Court appointments made the difference here. If Rehnquist and O'Connor were still on the court this would have gone 5-4 the other way.

Primbs
06-26-2008, 09:50 AM
remember, many had to fight the Bush administration to put on a conservative justice.

hypnagogue
06-26-2008, 03:29 PM
... would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons. Holy shit... I'm really shocked by the ignorance of a Supreme Court Justice. Limiting the tools available to elected officials is the entire purpose of the Constitution!

UnReconstructed
06-26-2008, 03:59 PM
The decision went further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most federal firearms restrictions intact.

I'm not sure why you would call this a victory. They said it's an individual liberty to make the coming regulations easy to swallow.

This is no victory. It's a pacifier. A freedom regulated is not a freedom. It then becomes a privilege that they can take away. Would you call it a victory when they say that in the city limits you can have no calibers higher than .22? How about when they say your long guns have to be kept down at the county armory and that you'll need to schedule a time to check them out to go hunting.

They now have the Supreme Court saying that any guv'rment can regulate firearms... That is no victory.

I'm not sure how they missed the "shall not be infringed part". The right to keep and bear arms comes from God not from guv'rment. The 2nd Amendment was added to make sure that the guv'rment did not try to disarm Americans.

I believe in the unabridged right to own and carry guns anyplace, anytime, any gun by anyone without the guv'rment saying anything. Our arms are to protect us from the guv'rment not protect us from the boogieman.