PDA

View Full Version : global warming propoganda at its finest

nbhadja
06-25-2008, 11:01 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25372743/

WASHINGTON - Global warming is likely to increase illegal immigration, create humanitarian disasters and destabilize precarious governments and could add to terrorism, all of which could threaten U.S. national security, according to an assessment by U.S. intelligence agencies.

Wow just wow.

I guess global warming will also decrease SAT scores, increase dental cavities and acne, and cause more inflation.

Joseph Hart
06-25-2008, 11:06 PM
News directors will see hell.

AJ Antimony
06-25-2008, 11:07 PM
This really is the dumbest country on the planet

SeanEdwards
06-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Climate change that reduces agriculture yields certainly will contribute to inflation.

Fox McCloud
06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Climate change that reduces agriculture yields certainly will contribute to inflation.

um...the only thing that can cause inflation is an increase in money supply.

every other price increase is a supply-demand factor.

Joseph Hart
06-25-2008, 11:14 PM
This really is the dumbest country on the planet

Correction, this is the dumbest planet.

SeanEdwards
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
um...the only thing that can cause inflation is an increase in money supply.

every other price increase is a supply-demand factor.

Currency devaluation and lack of supply can both contribute to price inflation.

DXDoug
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
indeed pure crap .

Fox McCloud
06-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Currency devaluation and lack of supply can both contribute to price inflation.

lack of supply or an increase of demand (or both) have nothing to do with inflation...saying that it's "price inflation" makes the whole thing a bit misleading and confusing.

currency devaluation is inflation....supply/demand issues are just that and cause prices to go up to better fit the market.

DXDoug
06-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Ya should write to who wrote this and teach them what inflation is

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Correction, this is the dumbest planet.

Politics of fear - works like a charm since 70s.

ClayTrainor
06-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Al Gore, SAVE US!!!!

Actually it truly scares me how many people believe in this global warming shit.

SeanEdwards
06-26-2008, 12:58 AM
lack of supply or an increase of demand (or both) have nothing to do with inflation...saying that it's "price inflation" makes the whole thing a bit misleading and confusing.

currency devaluation is inflation....supply/demand issues are just that and cause prices to go up to better fit the market.

If the price of milk goes up 50% that's price inflation, regardless of what the underlying reason is. It could be due to currency devaluation, it could be because all the cows died, it could be because the cost of energy to move the milk to market increased, it could be because there is more people demanding milk, it could be because the cost of real estate went up causing the store to raise prices, it could be because the government is handing out more free cheese, or it could be a combination of all those factors and more.

Currency devaluation is not inflation. It causes inflation.

nbhadja
06-26-2008, 02:52 AM
If the price of milk goes up 50% that's price inflation, regardless of what the underlying reason is. It could be due to currency devaluation, it could be because all the cows died, it could be because the cost of energy to move the milk to market increased, it could be because there is more people demanding milk, it could be because the cost of real estate went up causing the store to raise prices, it could be because the government is handing out more free cheese, or it could be a combination of all those factors and more.

Currency devaluation is not inflation. It causes inflation.

Inflation is where the money supply increases and the value of the currency drops as a result. The only way this happens is by increasing the money supply. Higher prices does not equal inflation, not to mention that in this scenario only food prices would rise.

2nd, say if the earth is really warming (which over the past 10 years the temperature has dropped, the committee on climate change even admits it), a warmer earth with higher co2 levels would lead to much better farming. Plants love co2.
Oh and a warmer earth= wetter earth
This is pretending that the earth is warming anyways, which it probably isn't.

Zippyjuan
06-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Inflation can be caused by having too much money issued, but that is not the only reaon for inflation. Let me try a simple example. We have a population of four people who all have one dollar and the only thing they can buy are apples. This year there are eight apples available. It is the only thing you can change your dollars for. If the holder of the apples wants to sell all his apples, he will charge half a dollar each. Every apple is sold and everybody got two apples and gave up all their dollars. Next year, the apples did not do as good. Everybody still has a dollar but there are only four apples available. Instead of half a dollar, the apple keeper can sell his apples for a dollar each now and still get rid of all of them. The money supply did not change but the price of an apple doubled. It had inflation in price of 100% without any change in the money supply. Instead, it was the supply of goods which changed.

Increasing prices is the most agreed upon definition of inflation. When you see an inflation figure on TV or in the news, that is a change in the price level- not the money supply. If the economy grows at a rate equal to or greater than the supply of money then price inflation will not necessarily occur since the amount of goods available increases at the same rate. For example, if the number of apples doubled but the number of dollars everybody had also doubled, the price of an apple would not increase in our example. You just sell twice as many at the same price as before.

Inflation is where the money supply increases and the value of the currency drops as a result. The only way this happens is by increasing the money supply. Higher prices does not equal inflation, not to mention that in this scenario only food prices would rise.

Saying that inflation only applies to money supply is only confusing yourself. Everybody else agrees that inflation generally means price increases whcih can be caused by too much money or also by other issues like supply and demand. I can also inflate a bicycle tire if it needs more air. That is also inflation. You are restricting yourself to a meaning not shared by most others. Try to google inflation and see what you come up with.

Carole
06-26-2008, 12:18 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25372743/

WASHINGTON - Global warming is likely to increase illegal immigration, create humanitarian disasters and destabilize precarious governments and could add to terrorism, all of which could threaten U.S. national security, according to an assessment by U.S. intelligence agencies.

Wow just wow.

I guess global warming will also decrease SAT scores, increase dental cavities and acne, and cause more inflation.
:D

Carole
06-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Climate change that increases agricultural yields certainly will not contribute to inflation.

Maybe the more northern climes will be able to farm for longer seasons. I wish I could grow fruit and veggies year round. :D

The_Orlonater
06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Global warming will also steal your money, global warming is also going to break your Air Conditioner and replace with your HEATER DURING THE SUMMER!!!!!RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

Carole
06-26-2008, 12:28 PM

2nd, say if the earth is really warming (which over the past 10 years the temperature has dropped, the committee on climate change even admits it), a warmer earth with higher co2 levels would lead to much better farming. Plants love co2.
Oh and a warmer earth= wetter earth
This is pretending that the earth is warming anyways, which it probably isn't.
Thanks you for reminding us all about the CO2. :D

Some scientists actually say we need MORE CO2. Remember, too, that trees, once they have used that yummy CO2 will transpirate- give off H2O. :)

Carole
06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
:D

Zippyjuan
06-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Climate change that increases agricultural yields certainly will not contribute to inflation.

Maybe the more northern climes will be able to farm for longer seasons. I wish I could grow fruit and veggies year round. :D

Global warming can mean that places we currently rely on to provide our food will NOT be able to produce as much. The ground in more nothern climates is not as fertile and offers lower yields. Due to less sunlight as you move farther north (shorter days), the growing time is shorter too, not longer. Moving further north has the same effect on ability to grow as moving to higher altitudes does. Plants do not do as well. A warmer planet is also not wetter. Some places wil be drier- particularly ones we presenty use for food. Another factor is glaciers which store water for summer watering of crops. They are shrinking too meaning less and eventually no water available for summer planting.

Chase
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM

Global warming will cause more inflation. And that's whether it turns out to be true or not. Watch what happens as our government (and others) spend money they don't have on the problem.

dannno
06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Global warming will cause more inflation. And that's whether it turns out to be true or not. Watch what happens as our government (and others) spend money they don't have on the problem.

This was funny.

Zippy and others are wrong.

"Inflation is a rise in general level of prices of goods and services over time. Although "inflation" is sometimes used to refer to a rise in the prices of a specific set of goods or services, a rise in prices of one set (such as food) without a rise in others (such as wages) is not included in the original meaning of the word."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

Zippyjuan
06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
This was funny.

Zippy and others are wrong.

"Inflation is a rise in general level of prices of goods and services over time. Although "inflation" is sometimes used to refer to a rise in the prices of a specific set of goods or services, a rise in prices of one set (such as food) without a rise in others (such as wages) is not included in the original meaning of the word."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

Thank you for supporting what I said.
Absolutely no mention about money supply increases and devaluation of currency in the definition. I do not say that income is included in a definition of inflation.
Wages can inflate as well as prices. It may or not be greater or less than the rise in prices.

dannno
06-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Thank you for supporting what I said.
Absolutely no mention about money supply increases and devaluation of currency in the definition. I do not say that income is included in a definition of inflation.
Wages can inflate as well as prices. It may or not be greater or less than the rise in prices.

Ya it is an incomplete definition because it is wikipedia, and not the Austrian School Economics definition which Ron Paul subscribes to. Wages is an example they use. They could have used energy or some other commodity.

The point is that you are mixing up supply/demand issues which affect price with inflation which also affects price.

Separate them please. Dr. Paul would want it that way.

You too, Sean.

Zippyjuan
06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
You still seem confused. The commonly accepted definition of inflation is a change in prices over time. Inflating the money supply is NOT inflation but a potential cause of (price) inflation. Supply and demand are also factors which can cause inflation. Unless you are specific that you are discussing monetary (money supply) inflation, everyone assumes you are talking about price inflation. The thread was discussing the impact of global warming on price inflation (primarily on foods due to increasing shortages). Global warming will not effect the money supply.

dannno
06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
You still seem confused. The commonly accepted definition of inflation is a change in prices over time.

Yes, the change of prices over time, NOT of a specific commodity or sector. That doesn't mean all prices need to change, it just means that the original definition of the term inflation did not include supply/demand issues for a specific good or sector. Those are supply/demand issues separate from inflation. Please see the part in bold of the wikipedia definition I posted. You bolded the first part, which actually disproves your argument, but the more important part is the part I put in bold, the second part.

The first part states that it is a rise in general prices. A rise in food prices is not a rise in general prices.

Zippyjuan
06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I completely agree with you here. Food prices can go up without the overall inflation going up if their rises are offset by declines in something else people spend money on. Rising food prices does not by itself mean that all prices are rising.

I apologize. I thought you were trying to support Mr Fox's definition of inflation.

dannno
06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I completely agree with you here. Food prices can go up without the overall inflation going up if their rises are offset by declines in something else people spend money on. Rising food prices does not by itself mean that all prices are rising.

I apologize. I thought you were trying to support Mr Fox's definition of inflation.

Well Mr. Fox's definition is basically Ron Paul's definition, but he forgot to include velocity. I don't think that is something we will be dealing with in that scenario, haven't gotten to think about it and it is damn loud around my desk right now :mad:

I think this is the definition we should become familiar with:

http://kineticreaction.blogspot.com/2008/01/causes-of-inflation.html

zach
06-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Next, it's gonna be that global warming causes homosexuality.

Then the Nature vs. Nurture argument will be discussed on a whole new level.

:p

dannno
06-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Well Mr. Fox's definition is basically Ron Paul's definition, but he forgot to include velocity. I don't think that is something we will be dealing with in that scenario, haven't gotten to think about it and it is damn loud around my desk right now :mad:

Heh.. I should have read that whole article:

"Therefore, I contend that it is only the federal reserve and its decision to expand the money supply that causes inflation, nothing else."

I am pretty sure Ron Paul agrees with the essence of that article.

DXDoug
06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Al Gore, SAVE US!!!!

Actually it truly scares me how many people believe in this global warming shit.

with north pole about to have no ice how cant we believe it

IRO-bot
06-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Danno your Avatar. Is that the guy that lives in a shed with kittens?

"Kittens aren't supposed to smell like cigarettes, kittens are supposed to smell like kittens."

Funny movie....way off topic

On topic, Didn't Ron say there were many places the glaciers are growing? Is this true?

Zippyjuan
06-27-2008, 01:02 PM

That still leaves out supply and demand as a cause of price increases. Decrease supply with either fixed or increasing demand and prices will go up. Increase demand faster than an increasing supply will also tend to cause prices to rise.

Truth Warrior
06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
The Spiritual Foundation of the United Nations
The Lucis Trust
http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/lucistrust.html

spacehabitats
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Global warming is real.

I don't want to believe in it anymore than any of you.

But I don't think that this is a subject where the ignorant masses have simply been brainwashed by the establishment.

I know there are good and bad people on both sides of this issue, but I think it should give at least some of you pause when you consider that George Bush is in your corner.;)

It ain't as cut and dried as you think.

mediahasyou
06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
All skeptics are being silenced by the establishment on this subject.

What happened to pollitics is now happening to science.

All heretics are being silenced.

Truth Warrior
06-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Global warming is real.

I don't want to believe in it anymore than any of you.

But I don't think that this is a subject where the ignorant masses have simply been brainwashed by the establishment.

I know there are good and bad people on both sides of this issue, but I think it should give at least some of you pause when you consider that George Bush is in your corner.;)

It ain't as cut and dried as you think.
Incorrect! THE UN AIN'T the "good guys".