PDA

View Full Version : How to make it thru the Depression

fxmercenary
06-25-2008, 08:14 PM
First off, "Economic Downturn" is a political ploy word for Depression, the only reason they call it this, is to prevent dumb people from panicking. Smart people like us knwo what it is... So i dont even know why i just said what i said because we are all smart people here.

Anyways heres a list of what you need:

Food ( Like rice n stuff) some soda and water, some canned corn and green beans, some of that cheese that you dont need to refrigerate, chips wont last long so forget them. Pastas are good to have handy with some classico sauses.

Video Games Pretty much an xbox 360 and/or a ps3. The reason for this is so you dont go out and do stuff, when gas is pricey and everything else is too, its time to troll out in your home and play video games. Dont get lured out to Chilis by your friends that wanna thrown down 20 for a meal, its just not worth it.

A good Couch Its pretty much the most important accessory for the food and the games, if you dont have an awesom couch, you will probably go stir-crazy.

A Gas Grill This importand for cooking Rice with the water you have, and you can add meats to the rice to make a stew. Sont waste money on steaks, there are squirrels and possums to eat. Also if you mix in some of that cheese you are in for a tasty treat. ( If you live by water get some fish with a fishing pole )

Aluminum Foil This keeps the sun out, and the electric bill down, not only will it block out that heat, but you can turn on one light and it can reflect around the room off of the foil and provite a nice lighting experience.

A Three Wheel Bike If you need to go get a fish from the water for youre rice stew, the three wheel bike is the way to go. You can get on it and pedal to the water and fish for some fish, then put the fish in that basket and take it home

A Gun Lets face it, if things get rough, people will want your xbox, you may have to kill them. Or if things get Bad, they will want your fishing pole, your grill, your rice, and your couch for kindle. Remember, dont scare them off with your gun, shoot them, because if you dont, they will come back with more people and take your stuff and kill you too.

That is all.

PS, Print this list and keep it safe, it will save your life if things goto hell.

Kludge
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Aluminum Foil This keeps the sun out, and the electric bill down, not only will it block out that heat, but you can turn on one light and it can reflect around the room off of the foil and provite a nice lighting experience.

Thank you so much.

SnappleLlama
06-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Don't forget a nice stash of Zoloft, as well.

fxmercenary
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Thank you so much.

npnp, dont forget, shiney side out.

asgardshill
06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
As that uniquely American sage Freewheelin' Franklin so aptly put it:

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope.

rprprs
06-25-2008, 08:30 PM

We're all in luck on this one. We can use the foil from our hats.:D

Bruno
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
As that uniquely American sage Freewheelin' Franklin so aptly put it:

Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope.

+1 ounce

ThePieSwindler
06-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Its not like we are going to regress into a third world country. You dont need to turn to bare subsistence. Besides, if it gets as bad as you seem to be making it out to be, we wont have electricity at that point, so the video games are useless.

RSLudlum
06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Its not like we are going to regress into a third world country. You dont need to turn to bare subsistence. Besides, if it gets as bad as you seem to be making it out to be, we wont have electricity at that point, so the video games are useless.

Have alot of reading mat'l and hand tools ;)

pcosmar
06-25-2008, 09:04 PM
The first and most important thing about surviving is Don't Die.

asgardshill
06-25-2008, 09:06 PM

Or a good muffled generator and an Arkansas credit card :D

Danke
06-25-2008, 09:12 PM
And lots of Spam and a Swiss army knife!

MsDoodahs
06-25-2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1882723252

:)

Bruno
06-25-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1882723252

Out of stock. Must be a pretty good read.

bkreigh
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
The first and most important thing about surviving is Don't Die.

I guess that rules out my one bullet for the gun idea.

MsDoodahs
06-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Out of stock. Must be a pretty good read.

Great starter material, for sure. Has lists of the kinds of things you will need to stock, and those reminded me of all sorts of items I might have otherwise completely forgotten about.

I kept track of what we consumed in an average month and used that to figure how much and the variety of stuff that I need to stock.

Some people are fine just going the MRE route, but in stress situations, staying as close to your family's "normal" food as you can is kinda comforting...

Mahkato
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
U.S. Army Survival Manual FM 21-76 (http://www.equipped.org/fm21-76.htm)

asgardshill
06-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Some people are fine just going the MRE route, but in stress situations, staying as close to your family's "normal" food as you can is kinda comforting...

QFT.

"Store what you eat and eat what you store".

There's a dirty little secret about MREs that any military type who's ever been on deployment can confirm: they bind you up inside like so much Portland cement. If you're going to try to subsist on MREs, take a laxative at the same time. Otherwise, you'll never be able to get off the pot when it comes time to go.

MREs are bulky, they're heavy, you have to drink a ton of liquid with each one, and they don't have near as long a shelf life as freeze-dried foods (Mountain House, Provident Pantry, etc.) or even the "lifeboat bars" do. I have three MREs in my primary 72-hour kit, but that's all I have. I rotate stuff I eat every day in and out of my 72-hour kits and food stores.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
First off, "Economic Downturn" is a political ploy word for Depression, the only reason they call it this, is to prevent dumb people from panicking. Smart people like us knwo what it is... So i dont even know why i just said what i said because we are all smart people here.

Anyways heres a list of what you need:

Food ( Like rice n stuff) some soda and water, some canned corn and green beans, some of that cheese that you dont need to refrigerate, chips wont last long so forget them. Pastas are good to have handy with some classico sauses.

Video Games Pretty much an xbox 360 and/or a ps3. The reason for this is so you dont go out and do stuff, when gas is pricey and everything else is too, its time to troll out in your home and play video games. Dont get lured out to Chilis by your friends that wanna thrown down 20 for a meal, its just not worth it.

A good Couch Its pretty much the most important accessory for the food and the games, if you dont have an awesom couch, you will probably go stir-crazy.

A Gas Grill This importand for cooking Rice with the water you have, and you can add meats to the rice to make a stew. Sont waste money on steaks, there are squirrels and possums to eat. Also if you mix in some of that cheese you are in for a tasty treat. ( If you live by water get some fish with a fishing pole )

A Three Wheel Bike If you need to go get a fish from the water for youre rice stew, the three wheel bike is the way to go. You can get on it and pedal to the water and fish for some fish, then put the fish in that basket and take it home

A Gun Lets face it, if things get rough, people will want your xbox, you may have to kill them. Or if things get Bad, they will want your fishing pole, your grill, your rice, and your couch for kindle. Remember, dont scare them off with your gun, shoot them, because if you dont, they will come back with more people and take your stuff and kill you too.

That is all.

PS, Print this list and keep it safe, it will save your life if things goto hell.

You don't really need the food for you can just eat the wholesome natural food that grows in nature. If the wholesome natural food happens to be eaten by locusts, you can just eat the wholesome natural locusts. The important thing to remember is to keep playing video games. Playing video games is a proven way to fight the types of stress that are caused by Great Depressions, Cataclysms and other catastrophes.

Sandra
06-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Foxfire Series!!!!!!! :D

Acala
06-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Pretty much all I have is books and handtools. TONS of books and handtools. A library full of books and a large shop stocked with pre-WWII woodworking tools. So does that mean I will survive? (I also have a gun. Or two)

Michael Ingram
06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I found this way too funny :D