PDA

View Full Version : CFL - Great Things Coming Soon!

MRoCkEd
06-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Great Things Coming
June 25th, 2008 by Thomas Woods

I’m in haste as I head out to lunch, but I thought I’d test out the blog by noting that it’s not just a cliche — great things really are coming together at the Campaign for Liberty. I’ve been following the discussions across the web about what you’re hoping this organization will be, and boy will you be pleasantly surprised. It’s just what you’re hoping for. Within the next couple weeks we hope to present you with a full, detailed overview of just what we’ll be doing and how we’ll be doing it. You’ll see the website gradually become more extensive and interactive. And we’ll keep listening to your suggestions.

Lots to come, so stay tuned and spread the word!

Encouraging words, especially to those worried that the site is only a blog right now.

Fields
06-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Thank god.

powerofreason
06-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Excellent, can't wait!

dirknb@hotmail.com
06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
sounds encouraging

asgardshill
06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I have money. CFL can have some if they'll start taking PayPal.

brandon
06-25-2008, 04:23 PM
I have money. CFL can have some if they'll start taking PayPal.

I take PayPal. ;)

Sally08
06-25-2008, 04:40 PM
On the home page of CFL, the picture now appears to almost totally overlap the sign-up fields.

I can't even see what I type in for first/last name.

Worse, I certainly am no psychic about the required Captcha entry!

If anyone has any direct contact, feel free to pass this "defect" on- It makes it pretty difficult for any new members to sign up!

Someone also posted that the membership counter was on the Washington Monument. Has that changed, as well?

MRoCkEd
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
On the home page of CFL, the picture now appears to almost totally overlap the sign-up fields.

If anyone has any direct contact, feel free to pass this "defect" on- It makes it pretty difficult for any new members to sign up!

Someone also posted that the membership counter was on the Washington Monument. Has that changed, as well?
it might be just you - seems fine for me

powerofreason
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM

What web browser do you use?

Sally08
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
What web browser do you use?

I have XP professional with IE 6.0.

I've also used the refresh key.

It worked when the CFL site first opened.

Note: See my concerns about not allowing opt-out of public display of personal information at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1529162&postcount=3.

Could screen resolution possibly do it? I'm at 1024, but I tried higher resolution and it didn't help.

DeadtoSin
06-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Note: See my concerns about not allowing opt-out of public display of personal information at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1529162&postcount=3.

Sounds like you are a potential Firefox user. :D

powerofreason
06-25-2008, 05:30 PM

Could screen resolution possibly do it? I'm at 1024, but I tried higher resolution and it didn't help.

I doubt the site doesn't display properly for IE 6, but you could always try firefox. Better browser all around IMO, and with less security issues than IE.

Edit: Its actually probably an issue with your flash player. I have adobe flash version 9 with firefox and everything displays properly for me.

Sally08
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
http://www.savethemales.ca/

See the June 20th post about 2/3 down re: Elite Recruitment; Computer Developments: Excerpts from a Reader's Email

But a few weeks ago X went to one of those cutting edge 'dev cons' where the head of Mozilla gave a talk on it -- it turns out to be the thin edge of the wedge to store you local data remotely on a third party server........

Well...we all know the motive for that. To insiders it was announced that this is where things will go next ---- it is being sold as 'perfect security', no more viruses, no more web bots or adware messing up your folders on C:drive ... because in a few years, they plan for nobody to have a C:drive. They want everybody's data stored on a third party server.

Right now, what's on your C: or D: drives can only be gotten by hacking into it. They are promising unhackable remote storage as standard for future home computing. The benefits to sell the notion is that without all those GB to hunt through on your local pc, the 'experience' will finally be shed of slow RAM, antivirus software, etc.

And sell it will. The public will beg for this now. Forgetting what everyone was concerned about in 1999 --- privacy.

How can people forget that the governments now have 100% access to any private data stored on any third party server???

My comments: When Google released its desktop search function (Google lookup speeds for files on local drives), I believe the tech newsletters also pointed out that *Google* was taking copies of our local files! I uninstalled the desktop search immediately.

Can you imagine "eliminating the C drive" by having all our private files stored *elsewhere*??

Given the hackability of even Department of Defense databases?

Sally08
06-25-2008, 06:02 PM
I doubt the site doesn't display properly for IE 6, but you could always try firefox. Better browser all around IMO, and with less security issues than IE.

Edit: Its actually probably an issue with your flash player. I have adobe flash version 9 with firefox and everything displays properly for me.

Just caught your edit-

I was just going to question the Adobe Flash upgrade that was required for YouTube that I installed, rebooted, and it still doesn't allow me to see YouTube videos.

That would account for the timing of the changes on CFL.

HOWEVER, if *not* having the Adobe Flash upgrade *breaks the CFL subscription access*, that is very definitely not good!

Same problem via the AOL browser.

Companies do not require consumers to immediately get the "newest upgrades" for their sites to work-

Just as they don't require specific browsers (and most apparently have not upgraded to IE 7).

Sally08
06-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I have whatever version of Firefox I downloaded last December still on my computer.

With that version of Firefox, the CFL site works fine (without any changes to Adobe Flash).

So, whatever changed on the CFL site no longer allows users to subscribe via IE or AOL browsers?

Not good!

syborius
06-25-2008, 06:26 PM
with the current gene pool and the national IQ scores dropping to bottom of the abyss faster than the titanic these corps feel like they can just about get away with anything, and the sad truth is that they can with very limited dissent.

MRoCkEd
06-25-2008, 06:35 PM
with the current gene pool and the national IQ scores dropping to bottom of the abyss faster than the titanic these corps feel like they can just about get away with anything, and the sad truth is that they can with very limited dissent.
..until now

Sally08
06-26-2008, 06:11 AM
I visited the CFL site just now to see if there was still the home page defect noted earlier in this thread (that the subscription information was hidden).

Apparently, there is a major revision today.

The good news is that the subscription information is again available.

The bad news is that the navigation for the entire site now seems to be missing, plus a huge blank rectangle on the upper right!

Even the Donate option is missing, as well as the Contact option-

Again, this is with both IE 6.0 and AOL.

Yet, again, the site appears to work correctly only with Firefox (membership displays as 63,554).

What a P.R. disaster for people recommending to others to visit the site to join.

Is this a highly visible example of the competence level of organization "management"?

Almost 10 years ago, young teenagers were building custom websites (based on www.lissaexplains.com) that worked better than the CFL site does today.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Sally08, the current CFL web team is not the most tech-savvy, unfortunately. I hoped they would hire some pros to run the site (like the official campaign did). After all, they can afford it.
Flash-based menu? Was cool, like 7 years ago. And I won't even mention accessibility issues.

Anyway, back to your problem - I checked IE6 and it looks fine - both menu and membership widget (flash9).

Sally08
06-26-2008, 07:16 AM
On my computer (XP Pro) via both IE 6 and AOL, the entire upper right-hand area is simply blank (not even an "X"), so there is no navigation at all.

As noted earlier in this thread, there may be a Flash version issue, as well, since my attempt at the required upgrade for YouTube seems to be failing (could be the Java enable/disable, as well).

And anyone who visits the site, including me, has to make this many technical upgrades/resolve this many possible bugs just to sign up??

And I *don't* want my name/city/state to display (with the blank area, no one would even know that his/her name/city/state are being displayed to the world in other browsers)-

I also believe the CFL site, of all sites, should be designed with accessibility in mind-

You'd think that some of the $4+ million could be used for a professionally designed site that meets current industry standards.

ForLiberty-RonPaul
06-26-2008, 07:21 AM
never had a problem with the site. just checked it and it looks fine.

SnappleLlama
06-26-2008, 07:32 AM
I haven't had a problem with the CFL site when using Firefox or IE 6.0.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 07:34 AM
And anyone who visits the site, including me, has to make this many technical upgrades/resolve this many possible bugs just to sign up??

Well, I think you're in a minority here. But anyway, the site depends havily on flash, so it's always better to have a recent version. Like it or not (I don't).

qwerty
06-26-2008, 07:37 AM
I LOVE IT!

:cool:

Sally08
06-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Well, I think you're in a minority here. But anyway, the site depends havily on flash, so it's always better to have a recent version. Like it or not (I don't).

I may be a minority among RP "techies", but I'm certainly not in a minority of computer users with IE/AOL browsers.

Corporations still assume Windows 98 computers and 800X600 resolution, if they have customers using their web applications. I recently noted that DailyKos even allows a choice of wide or narrow viewing, presumably for hand-held devices.

Obviously, people still use dial-up and DSL access, as well.

(Even accessing RPFs was a disaster, like 30 seconds to display?, from work due to the *multiple* Chip-In modules updating every time I transferred back to home page.)

This is what is currently installed via the YouTube link: Adobe Flash Player 9,0,124,0 installed successfully.

Yet, YouTube still doesn't work at all, either.

Figuring out all the technical changes required to simply *view* a website is really not how I should be using my time:)

MRoCkEd
06-26-2008, 07:52 AM
...and back on topic...

I’ve been following the discussions across the web about what you’re hoping this organization will be, and boy will you be pleasantly surprised. It’s just what you’re hoping for.
Any predictions of what this surprise will entail?

constituent
06-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Almost 10 years ago, young teenagers were building custom websites (based on www.lissaexplains.com) that worked better than the CFL site does today.

as one of those formerly young teenagers building custom websites ten years ago.... i have to say that it is pretty retarded.

i don't know that it speaks for the "competence" or "incompetence" of management, but it is lame (though i'm not having any problems loading it .... ????).

Sally08
06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
...and back on topic...

Any predictions of what this surprise will entail?

My major surprise was the fact that I have lost access to what very little was available on the site!

That doesn't qualify as "great things coming soon!"

Shrug - how many other new visitors to CFL are being lost as potential CFL members, just like me?

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
You have three major malfunctions combined to give you a poor computer experience.
Windows :(
IE :o
AOL :eek:

AOL sucks worse than a dustbuster. No one with any knowledge uses it unless they are forced.
IE has so many problems, that even CERT has warned against it's use. IE 6 is old which means you have not kept up with the service updates.
And windows is ,,,,well, , sad.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 08:03 AM
This is what is currently installed via the YouTube link: Adobe Flash Player 9,0,124,0 installed successfully.

Yet, YouTube still doesn't work at all, either.

Sooo, youtube sucks too? :D
BTW. what does it say on youtube site? It asks you to download and install flash player or something like that? Or you just see a video box, but it simply doesn't run?

Figuring out all the technical changes required to simply *view* a website is really not how I should be using my time:)

In your case, that's correct.

fr33domfightr
06-26-2008, 08:06 AM
After a recent Windows update about a week ago, I had problems playing movie clips and seeing the counter on the CFL website.

I first tried updating Flash, which didn't seem to install properly. I tried several times with the same ambiguous installation.

I finally got the idea to UNINSTALL Flash with the uninstaller I found on my PC, then again, tried to install from the Adobe website, ca-ching, everything works now!!

FF

constituent
06-26-2008, 08:08 AM
You have three major malfunctions combined to give you a poor computer experience.

AOL sucks worse than a dustbuster. No one with any knowledge uses it unless they are forced.
IE has so many problems, that even CERT has warned against it's use. IE 6 is old which means you have not kept up with the service updates.

and if you can't afford a mac, i recommend installing

http://jucato.org/gallery/d/192-2/Kubuntu+3D.png

i just started playing with it the other day, and it's the friendliest distro on my equipment, and ubuntuforums.org is the best place for answers so it makes for easy searching to troubleshoot any problems you may have....

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 08:12 AM

IE6 is still widely used and sites that care about their users should support it as good as possible.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 08:15 AM
and if you can't afford a mac, i recommend installing
KUBUNTU

And forget about gaming and using you CAD etc. software :) It's great, but not for everybody (for me it's perfect though)

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 08:19 AM
IE6 is still widely used and sites that care about their users should support it as good as possible.

Yes, I have IES4Linux, which is IE6, I have it for those sites that don't support standards.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes, I have IES4Linux, which is IE6, I have it for those sites that don't support standards.

Fortunately, I'm not forced to use such sites :)

Sally08
06-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Actually, I have AOL, Firefox, and older versions of IE on my computer SPECIFICALLY TO TEST HOW OUR HOSTED SITES WORK.

So, cut out the insults. They certainly do *not* gain converts!

Obviously, the "website group" of CFL does not believe any browser testing is necessary prior to putting their website versions into production.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Obviously, the "website group" of CFL does not believe any browser testing is necessary prior to putting their website versions into production.

Hold your horses! It's *BETA* :p

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Actually, I have AOL, Firefox, and older versions of IE on my computer SPECIFICALLY TO TEST HOW OUR HOSTED SITES WORK.

So, cut out the insults. They certainly do *not* gain converts!

I have been to the site with IE6, FireFox 2 and 3, Opera, and Konqueror. They all work. I signed up the first day and first try.
I don't Know what your problem is, But it is YOUR problem and not the site.

Sally08
06-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Hold your horses! It's *BETA* :p

Actually, a more accurate term is "under construction" or it needs Beta 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

I would assume common browser testing would even be done for *BETA*.

I guess I'll wait until September to join and/or to refer others to the site, then.

Could other RP supporters be having a reaction similar to mine, thereby contributing to the low number of subscribers (that probably includes the "opposition", as well) vs. the HQ mailing list numbers ?

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Actually, a more accurate term is "under construction" or it needs Beta 1.1, 1.2, 1.3.

I would assume common browser testing would even be done for *BETA*.

I guess I'll wait until September to join and/or to refer others to the site, then.

Could other RP supporters be having a reaction similar to mine, thereby contributing to the low number of subscribers (that probably includes the "opposition", as well) vs. the HQ mailing list numbers ?

63605 people have had no problem signing up.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Actually, a more accurate term is "under construction"

"BETA" is web 2.0 buzzword reply to pre web 2.0 "under construction" ;)

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 09:04 AM

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Nuf said.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 09:15 AM

Nuf said.

how many accounts you've got there? I hope others signed up only once ;)

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 09:23 AM
how many accounts you've got there? I hope others signed up only once ;)

Only once.
but you can click on the site and watch the counter. :D
Works fine.

szczebrzeszyn
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Only once.
but you can click on the site and watch the counter. :D
Works fine.

OK, I thought you signed up again using IE6 to prove the point :)

Milton
06-26-2008, 09:35 AM
I have been to the site with IE6, FireFox 2 and 3, Opera, and Konqueror. They all work. I signed up the first day and first try.
I don't Know what your problem is, But it is YOUR problem and not the site.

Likewise, I had no issues getting to the site using FF2, FF3, IE6, IE7, Konqueror, Safari, etc on a multitude of computers.

Sally08: Because other sites do not seem to be working for you like youtube.com, you may have a flash or browser issue of some sort. You could try to download the latest firefox and see if that does the trick. As technology advances, support for older standards dwindle - good, bad, indifferent, this is simply the way of computing and of technology in general.

Back on topic though.... I must say, with blog posts like: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=74 RP seems to be explaining the hows and whys of very important issues he deals with on a day to day basis in Congress. I am finding this type of commentary invaluable. It is giving a transparency to politics and the innerworkings of our government from a person I greatly respect. I am eagerly awaiting the future development of the CFL site.

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
OK, I thought you signed up again using IE6 to prove the point :)

Nope.
people are still signing up.
I guess it works for them too.

Sally08
06-26-2008, 09:42 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1528542&postcount=1

On June 22, "We have about 61,400 in the Campaign for Liberty. Paul had hundreds of thousands in his RonPaul2008 e-mail list. It's not adding up."

With 63610 awhile ago, only 2200+ new subscribers in 4 days or 23/hour? More than another 63 days to get to 100,000 at that rate (if I calculated correctly)?

And that's after the "big announcement splash" is long gone?

Note that in my reply in the thread above, I indicated that *as a donor*, I received *no* e-mails from either HQ or CFL to tell me about RP's speech in Texas, his ending of his campaign, *or* about the creation of CFL (they are not in SPAM, either).

How many other donors failed to receive these critical information updates?

Conza88
06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
This thread has so much potential... :rolleyes:

pcosmar
06-26-2008, 09:50 AM
[url]

How many other donors failed to receive these critical information updates?

No idea.
I still get regular E mail from Ron Paul, Campaign for liberty, Meet-ups, etc.

Sally08
06-26-2008, 10:30 AM
No idea.
I still get regular E mail from Ron Paul, Campaign for liberty, Meet-ups, etc.

What e-mail address list *was* used for the CFL e-mail below? Did they even use the HQ list or could that have caused legal "separation" problems?

Or did HQ have (another?) database problem or mass e-mailing failure?

The last duplicate e-mails I received from Ron Paul 2008 (HQ) were on 4/30/08. Are your ongoing "from Ron Paul" e-mails from CFL or HQ? When was the last HQ one?

Both of my e-mail addresses are paid Yahoo e-mail addresses.

Note: I definitely did not receive the e-mail *from CFL* that another "general" activist forwarded to her distribution list:

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:15:31 -0400
From: "Campaign for Liberty" <contact@campaignforliberty.com>
Subject: A Letter from Ron Paul
Over the past 17 months you and I delivered a message of freedom,

Sally08
06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
After a recent Windows update about a week ago, I had problems playing movie clips and seeing the counter on the CFL website.

I first tried updating Flash, which didn't seem to install properly. I tried several times with the same ambiguous installation.

I finally got the idea to UNINSTALL Flash with the uninstaller I found on my PC, then again, tried to install from the Adobe website, ca-ching, everything works now!!

FF

The issue *was* the Flash upgrade (failure).

As I mentioned, the CFL site worked and then quit working. I assume that is when I tried to install the Flash upgrade via YouTube a couple of days ago.

I visited a BBC link and got the same "install Flash upgrade" message. Again, no luck even with a reboot, although I received a successful install screen message.

However, that install gave a different link for installation problems.

NOTE: The UNINSTALL is required *first*. The correct uninstall is 04/08. It recommends that all applications be closed.

The Uninstall actually deleted Mozille Firefox/components/…, Netscape Browser/components…, and 3 Macromed/Flash files.

After that, the install not only gave me "successful", but it actually showed a moving picture:)

The AOL browser now works correctly, as well as YouTube videos.

Definitely not a plug-and-play Flash upgrade!

Yet, without it, the CFL site doesn't work correctly?

mport1
06-26-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm so excited about all of this. Can't wait til it really gets started.