PDA

View Full Version : A Victory in Utah!!

UtahApocalypse
06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Wanted to let everyone know that Utah claimed a huge victory last night in the Republican Primary. Jason Chaffetz who the 'Ron Paul' movement here has been supporting has defeated Chris Cannon a 6 term incumbent. This is great news!! as Utah will vote Republican in November and send Jason to Washington. Below is his website and link to the news article:

http://www.jasonforcongress.com/

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3612942

acroso
06-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Good bye Cannon!

brandon
06-25-2008, 10:53 AM
How is this a victory?

# War on Terror: We need to continue to adapt our military preparedness to respond quickly to radical jihadists anytime, anywhere using enhanced special forces capabilities and the best possible intelligence.
# Middle East. We must continue to protect our interests in the Middle East and help defend our allies in the region. This includes continuing to apply diplomatic pressure on rogue governments like Syria and Iran, promoting peace and democracy in Iraq, and insuring the defense and security of Israel.

Why did you support this guy?

JoshLowry
06-25-2008, 10:53 AM
This includes continuing to apply diplomatic pressure on rogue governments like Syria and Iran, promoting peace and democracy in Iraq, and insuring the defense and security of Israel.

:rolleyes:

RPTXState
06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Seems like a hollow victory.

acroso
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Cannon was an amnesty crusader.

As we know foreign policy is dictated by the president so it's not as important an issue when consider senators and house members.

brandon
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I guess the rest of his issues page looks good. I wouldn't call getting another interventionist elected into congress a huge victory, but if he believes in freedom more then the last guy, then congrats.

UtahApocalypse
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, he is not 100% what we want, but its a HUGE start. It also shows that a all grassroots campaign movement can succeed. Those that have talked to Jason also feel that his heart can be softened on the 'War' issues. At least this is a big step in the right direction. The nother great thing is that many people made statements that Washington needs a change, and that we need to start getting in newl untainted people. All in All it IS a victory.

nc4rp
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
sounds a little like Carl Mumpower in NC house district 11.

hes just the lesser of 2 evils and even that is debatable.

lord when will we be able to vote FOR someone rather than just against the greater evil.

acptulsa
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, he is not 100% what we want, but its a HUGE start. It also shows that a all grassroots campaign movement can succeed. Those that have talked to Jason also feel that his heart can be softened on the 'War' issues. At least this is a big step in the right direction. The nother great thing is that many people made statements that Washington needs a change, and that we need to start getting in newl untainted people. All in All it IS a victory.

I agree. Just hearing the radio news announcer this morning reporting (with a sense of infinite wonder in her liberal little voice) that Cannon wasn't conservative enough for his constituents got my day off to a great start! Good work!

Gotta take baby steps before you can run--and I think this is, if not a giant leap, at least more than a baby step!

HOLLYWOOD
06-25-2008, 11:28 AM
The results:

With 99% of precincts reporting, Chaffetz leads 60 percent to 40 percent. Voter turnout was described as low.

Impressive, not even close...

Paulfan05
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Hes not 100% on policy but so what, it's a good start, take back the gov 1 step at a time

dannno
06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
As we know foreign policy is dictated by the president so it's not as important an issue when consider senators and house members.

....except that they vote for the funding???

Original_Intent
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I didn't love Jason, and he isnt even my district (I would have voted for him in this primary if he was though.

What is really really great about this is the GOP party from Prez Bush down to both GOP Senators from Utah - and as far as I can tell the entire GOP machine - backed Cannon to the hilt, including some shenanigans at the state convention that stopped Jason Chavettz from beating Cannon and not even needing a primary. There has been NOTHING on the news or anywhere about there even being an election - and yet the PEOPLE got the job done and sent Cannon packing. And I do believe Jason is a good guy and still teachable - we have had a lot of Ron Paul people that have been working with him and running his grassrooots campaign so we may still bring him around on the war. Cannon was a lost cause so for all these reasons I call this a win for the good guys.

speciallyblend
06-26-2008, 06:13 AM
great works folks

ryanmkeisling
06-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Yes good work, but keep on him and let him know you are there and will continue to scrutinize his actions in congress. Micclintock won here in the 4th district of California and while he is not ideal he is better than Doolittle or Ose, but I would have preferred Terbolizard. I will take it not as a win but a step in the right direction. Congrats!

ItDoesNotStopWithRonPaul
06-26-2008, 07:10 AM
NumbersUSA is touting it a great victory since Cannon was part of the McCain Amnesty crowd and because he has deceived voters about his amnesty record. Even if the new guy isn't perfect, it sets a trend: CORRUPT INCUMBENTS OUT!!...even if all we are voting in is the lesser of two evils, incumbents will get scared and perhaps listen to the people a bit..?

acptulsa
06-26-2008, 07:29 AM
I will take it not as a win but a step in the right direction. Congrats!

Ousting an incumbant in his primary in the face of the party hacks is a mighty huge step in the right direction. Congrats indeed!!

ARealConservative
06-26-2008, 07:45 AM
I don't see the big victory.

line item veto, maintain the same role in foreign affairs.......

I don't think he respects the constitution at all.

UtahApocalypse
06-26-2008, 11:21 AM
Also since the party did everything they could to get Cannon the spot at the convention to eliminate any primary. Cannon had the full support and endorsement of many of the top GOP here in Utah.... The people decided to tell them how they feel this time.

AJ Antimony
06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Cannon was an amnesty crusader.

Yeah, they only vote on the fucking budget and all...

Join The Paul Side
06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
sounds a little like Carl Mumpower in NC house district 11.

hes just the lesser of 2 evils and even that is debatable.

lord when will we be able to vote FOR someone rather than just against the greater evil.

Makes me wonder who really wins when you're forced to vote for the lesser of 2 evils. :confused:

acptulsa
06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Makes me wonder who really wins when you're forced to vote for the lesser of 2 evils. :confused:

If you're educated enough to ask, you know the answer already. We just wish we didn't...