PDA

View Full Version : A quote that sums up the challenge...

Kuldebar
08-27-2007, 08:40 AM
From Lew Rockwell's Blog (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/014904.html#more):

"If we could just corral all of the Democrats who distrust the military side of government and who want the government to stay out of their personal lives, but believe somehow that this same government should be trusted to take our money and use it for good.

If we could just convince all of the Republicans who rail against taxes, big government giveaways and business regulation, but believe somehow that this same government should be given the power to help us be more "moral" people and that this same government, when running the military, is infallible.

If we could convince them all that less liberty (and more power to the government) does not lead to greater security. Ron Paul would win in a landslide". -written by Paul Aubert
==================================================

I found Aubert has really detailed the challenges we face very succinctly.

I confess at times that I often get discouraged with the apparent ignorance and indifference of the average American. I occasionally need to be reminded of the fact that appealing to the sensibilities of others is what honest persuasion is all about.

bygone
08-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Along the same lines:

Can government really be active and, at the same time, limited? History suggests otherwise.

- Lew Rockwell

I confess at times that I often get discouraged with the apparent ignorance and indifference of the average American. I occasionally need to be reminded of the fact that appealing to the sensibilities of others is what honest persuasion is all about.

You will notice, of course, that appealing to sensibilities is much more effective for media of all kinds than appealing to the intellect. This is not to say that Americans are stupid, as many would have you believe. They are not.

They are emotionally driven, though, and coin operated. This combination leaves little room for rational thought. You would not want everyone to believe as you do anyway; that would just mean when we are wrong we are all wrong. ;)

If you want to convice "them all" that less liberty does not lead to greater security, then I would suggest that you will have to fix a huge underlying problem. I read recently that the word empowerment is a replacement for the word trust.

We've been taught not to trust other people. I can tell you that by and large people are more trustworthy than we have been lead to believe; and that this is a big problem in our society. Without trust, without empowerment, of the people you must give it to the governement. The short of it is that we as a people, as Americans, are more willing to trust a brand, an identity, rather than a person, even if that brand is the governement.

Just my opinion. It's probably bunk. ;)

nullvalu
08-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I think we need to come up with a website like "TAKE THE RON PAUL CHALLENGE" for those people who are blindy supporting partisan candidates.. we need to have something that quickly and distinctly converts almost anyone who goes to the site.. :)

People who support Hillary really have no idea why they support her, and the same goes for most of the other candidates.. We need to have something that says "hey, you may support hillary and that's cool.. but just as a mind exercise, come check out this challenge.. so at least you can prove to yourself that you really do support her".. not sure about the actual challenge tho.. how could we do it? It would have to be like one of those comparison charts, but interactive somehow..