PDA

View Full Version : im in charge of a book/etc section of a record store: i want politics/liberty..advice

haaaylee
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
besides ron paul's reading list what should i sell?? how should i set this up. i have a section of a store that i want to totally awaken people ... just having amazing books on a shelf won't do it. maybe a dvd playing something? what else should i offer?

thanks.

RedLightning
06-24-2008, 11:17 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=79751

yongrel
06-24-2008, 11:18 PM
You'll want to keep the books relatively simple, since it's a record store, not an economics department.

Economics in One Lesson - Henry Hazlitt
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
Free to Choose - Milton and Rose Friedman

You might want to stock Penn & Teller's Bullshit DVDs , and perhaps play some of the episodes on the TV you mentioned. They are very good libertarian shows.

haaaylee
06-24-2008, 11:24 PM
but how should i advertise these books in way that people just walking in and not knowing anything about liberty will want to pick them up and scan through them. how should i set this up in a way that it's not just books they don't recognize and didn't see online as best sellers...

yongrel
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
but how should i advertise these books in way that people just walking in and not knowing anything about liberty will want to pick them up and scan through them. how should i set this up in a way that it's not just books they don't recognize and didn't see online as best sellers...

Hmm. You might try putting sale stickers on all of them. Just double their price, then call them 50% off. I have a cousin who does this on his online store, and it works wonders for him.

Also, if you display the books like bestsellers, people will think they are bestsellers. Actually, I think Milton Friedman's book might be a bestseller.

Also, purchase the most attractive editions of the books. There are plenty of ugly copies of The Road to Serfdom, but there are also a few very stylish editions. Buy the books that look like something you'd see on Opera's book club.

amy31416
06-25-2008, 12:18 AM
I used to work in a bookstore and often put together displays (I was actually pretty good at it too).

The basics-

color balance: make sure the colors of everything look good together, or stand out. A backdrop of fabric, like satin, can really make things stand out.

mix media: put books, books on tape, bookmarks, even a prop like a bust of Jefferson, and anything else related to the liberty theme, as long as it looks harmonious.

humor: for instance-I had to put together a huge display on women's history. It was all very respectful and had great material, but I also threw in a biography of Little Richard and Richard Simmons (subtly) because it amused me (and a few others.) Don't go overboard like I did, and make books spell out "kiss my ass" (yes, there were three books that spelled that out that I put on a display. You can go too far :) )