PDA

View Full Version : Excellent article on education in america and why it is so bad for us

Dave Wood
08-27-2007, 05:34 AM
http://fightincockflyer.blogspot.com/2007/08/emily-spence-we-cant-get-no-educashion.html

She points out that it is a great system to keep corrupt systems in power!

lucius
08-27-2007, 05:47 AM
[In relation, John Gatto elucidates on the findings of a 1990's ETS conducted national literacy survey:

"Ninety-six and a half percent of the American population is mediocre to illiterate where deciphering print is concerned. This is no commentary on their intelligence, but without ability to take in primary information from print and to interpret it they are at the mercy of commentators who tell them what things mean. A working definition of immaturity might include an excessive need for other people to interpret information for us.

"Certainly it’s possible to argue that bad readers aren't victims at all but perpetrators, cursed by inferior biology to possess only shadows of intellect. That’s what bell-curve theory, evolutionary theory, aristocratic social theory, eugenics theory, strong-state political theory, and some kinds of theology are about. All agree most of us are inferior, if not downright dangerous. The integrity of such theoretical outlooks— at least where reading was concerned—took a stiff shot on the chin from America. Here, democratic practice allowed a revolutionary generation to learn how to read. Those granted the opportunity took advantage of it brilliantly." (To have access to more of this assessment, please go to the eighth "[8]" citation below.)]

Parents, you must be responsible for your children’s reading ability.

Read this book, get really pissed-off and change things, 'The Underground History of American Education' by John Taylor Gatto. Whole book at link: http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

PS: Great Post!

glts
08-27-2007, 07:03 AM
The following is a product of the American educational system. It is funny but in reality truly sad.

http://helptheiraq.ytmnd.com

Colleen
08-27-2007, 07:38 AM
So glad to see this topic here. Education, or lack thereof, is the crux of many of our problems in America. It is no accident that ruling powers have a vested interest in keeping things dumbed dowm.

Here is another one to dovetail nicely with the conversation.

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/pages/author.htm

noxagol
08-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Go to google video and watch "Stupid in America" made by John Stossel. Want to see why monopolies are bad and why government monopolies are worse?

bygone
08-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Parents, you must be responsible for your children’s reading ability.

Having school age children I can tell you that this statement is very true.

What I can also tell you is that schools do make a very strong effort to encourage reading. I tend to believe that parents when they have the time also make good efforts in this area as well. There is a large portion of parents today that do not have the time to oversee a lot of their children's lives, though, and that inevitably leads to problems. There is only so much that can be done unless parents are willing and/or able to rearrange their lives so that they have the time to spend with the children to encourage them in the right direction.

This effort is largely wasted later on if you encourage a lifestyle built on television, gaming consoles (PC games actually encourage positive development to a point, but are still an overall negative influence for other reasons), fashion, and friends that are just as consumer driven and electronically mentally impoverished into believing in a disposable society as the system (and parents) that produce them. There has to be a fundamental change in our society for this to change, and, unfortunately, this isn't likely until it is forced upon us by a variety of possible scenarios. I'm not inclined to believe that this is done on purpose. I'm strongly inclined to believe that it is done as a result of what already exists.

As a parent, in my opinion, you have to encourage not only reading, but what to read. If all that you ever read was what the television provided, the games you were given said, or what you learned from your friends in the AOL chat rooms, what kind of person would you turn out to be? The stark reality is that the government is not in control of what these children are taught, the parents are; that is, when they are there, and when they care. Realizing this can bring about changes in the way you raise a family.

trispear
08-27-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't think schools were that bad - even 10 years back. I think things have changed a bit with Bush's "No child left behind" policy - it seems the kids are going to school to pass some asinine test every week these days. Always studying for the next incoming exam rather than learning. Plus the paranoia these days, after Columbine and terrorism.

What is bad:
1. Groupthink you get in any gathering.
2. One Size fits all. Some countries do a better job. They recognize some kids aren't the school types and give them a solid basic education and let them out at 14-15, to become carpenters or other trades. And other kids stay until university.
3. In conjection with #2, the smart kids are held back. I literally had to learn about George Washington 8 times over, from 3rd grade to 10th grade, we got the same basic history education time and again -- focusing on America and the Revolution. Same thing with Math and English throughout.

You don't get a choice until 9 or 10th grade to take classes you want or to really excel.

trispear
08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
This effort is largely wasted later on if you encourage a lifestyle built on television, gaming consoles (PC games actually encourage positive development to a point, but are still an overall negative influence for other reasons), fashion, and friends that are just as consumer driven and electronically mentally impoverished into believing in a disposable society as the system (and parents) that produce them. There has to be a fundamental change in our society for this to change, and, unfortunately, this isn't likely until it is forced upon us by a variety of possible scenarios.

I don't think the internet has been given enough credit for encouraging literacy/reading. What better way to encourage reading in children than a largely text-based medium where people can look up what interests them and then interact by composing messages to other people about that subject. Reading and writing is no longer a boring chore.

I think games are fine, but doesn't drive understanding of any one subject. If there was a fun game that encouraged problem solving of math/physics aimed at teens, I would like to know of it - most of the ones I see are designed to embarassingly young standards (like 5-10 y.o.) where no teen would want to be caught dead playing it.

noxagol
08-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Games encourage HUGE problem solving. Multiplayer games encourage teamwork. They also build great hand-eye coordination.

trispear
08-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Games encourage HUGE problem solving. Multiplayer games encourage teamwork. They also build great hand-eye coordination.I played games for years, I respectfully disagree.

Instinctive problem solving, yes. But problems where you have to solve numerically and can't always rely on instincts, no. Both are important. Look it up, it's even in the MSM, the science and math interest in this country is going down, down, down in education.

Hand/eye coordination. I don't know. I would think typing also encourages that, but playing a sport or exercise would be better for your body all around.

noxagol
08-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I played games for years, I respectfully disagree.

Instinctive problem solving, yes. But problems where you have to solve numerically and can't always rely on instincts, no. Both are important. Look it up, it's even in the MSM, the science and math interest in this country is going down, down, down in education.

Hand/eye coordination. I don't know. I would think typing also encourages that, but playing a sport or exercise would be better for your body all around.

Obviously playing sports is better for your body all around. Instinctive problem solving is used all the time, you don't know it because it is instinctive. I'd like to improve something I use all the time.

Interest in science and math being loss is not the result of games I am willing to bet. It is probably because the schools can't/don't teach it well enough for kids to care. For me games created an interest in math for me. I use to hate it until I wanted to make them. Now I enjoy math. I also became interested in programming and am now hoping to make it my profession.

trispear
08-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Interest in science and math being loss is not the result of games I am willing to bet.I agree with that. I am just pointing out that within those same last 20-30 years, games have shot up in popularity - that if they taught problem-solving skills - our kids on the average should be better off than they were.

However, there is no substitute for cracking a book and doing the problems.

It is probably because the schools can't/don't teach it well enough for kids to care. For me games created an interest in math for me. I use to hate it until I wanted to make them. Now I enjoy math. I also became interested in programming and am now hoping to make it my profession.I am starting to play planarity, a fun game:
http://www.planarity.net/

It might interest those who like geometry, or Computer Science (Discrete Mathematics).

If you want to make game programming your profession, check out Digipen in Redmond. The math is heavy.

lucius
08-27-2007, 10:30 AM
So glad to see this topic here. Education, or lack thereof, is the crux of many of our problems in America. It is no accident that ruling powers have a vested interest in keeping things dumbed dowm.

Here is another one to dovetail nicely with the conversation.

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/pages/author.htm

'Deliberate Dumbing Down of America: A Chronological Paper Trail' by Charlotte Thomson-Iserbyt, Cynthia Weatherly (Editor)

"Iserbyt's exhaustive research into research and policy regarding education and the economy has exposed the many myths and misinformation about public education. Presented in chronological order, the author presents a stunning indictment of public and private partnerships designed to restructure education and the economy, and ultimately to redefine the very nature and purpose of not only education, but man himself. Teachers will find this book extremely useful and instructive in identifying and comprehending recent changes in education certification and training that are increasingly threatening academic freedom, and driving many out of the teaching profession altogether. Parents of children in public, private, and home-schools alike will find Iserbyt's research equally applicable to all, as the new system is deliberately mandated for everyone. No student is exempt from the new systemic education and labor reforms. Only in understanding the underlying agenda and strategies of the reformists can we hope to restore academic freedom and moral agency in society, and protect our children. A Must Read for every parent, educator, and legislator concerned about our children!

Double agent author/educator Charlotte Iserbyt was fired from her Washington DC post in the Department of Education for leaking this information to the press. Now, 15 years later, we get the rest of the story, packed with hard facts she confiscated from the files. A no-holds-barred approach. From conservative to liberal, no name is sacred, and all are accomplices to the crime. A MUST READ!"

If you bought this out-of-print book used, you would pay $38 + shipping. Here is the whole book at link to download as a pdf (11MB): :D

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/index.html

Colleen
08-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Good review, Lucius,

This book should be required reading for anyone who truly wants to understand what happened to the public education system in the U. S. It has been a slippery slope which beginnings can also be traced to the Leipzig school of psychology, in Germany, in the book The Leipzig Connection.

And to combine it with this one, None Dare Call it Education You will be more than on the way to getting a grip

Here's chapter 9:
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a38cf386876c7.htm

fluoridatedbrainsoup
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I always fully appreciate a free book online, especially one which opens your eyes! Thanks for this link - it's bookmarked and I'm about 2 chapters in ... It makes so much sense if you have ever met someone who is home-schooled. They seem strange because they are so different and intelligent, we just are not used to actual applied intelligence in the public de-education clinics.

constituent
08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
i'm about to start reading... just wanted to say that the whole concept of education is f*d. i really hope it goes into the development and purpose for developing the "independent" school district....

theft of culture and family is what it is... absolutely disgusts me.

lucius
08-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I always fully appreciate a free book online, especially one which opens your eyes! Thanks for this link - it's bookmarked and I'm about 2 chapters in ... It makes so much sense if you have ever met someone who is home-schooled. They seem strange because they are so different and intelligent, we just are not used to actual applied intelligence in the public de-education clinics.

Here is another one, it would cost you $44 + shipping off Amazon used: 'The Underground History of American Education' by John Taylor Gatto. Whole book at link: :D

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

This book actually helped wake me up; it acts like a NWO Rosetta Stone, although when I spoke with Mr. Gatto, he adamantly denied that intent. This century old intentional retarding of our children's self-determination for control purposes, paid with our tax dollars, is enough 'Conspiracy Fact' for me. I sell this book, among others, in our spa in the 'Wellness Section'. It is humorous when a 'Hannitized' client asks, "If I read this book, does it help depression?" I tell them, "Most assuredly it will." All my customers leave with a home-made Dr. Paul dvd, Citizen’s Rule Book, Slim-Jim and bumper sticker--so many come back and ask for yard signs. It's such a joy being a part of this r3VOLution! :cool:

Colleen
08-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Social conditioning is the operative term here and very few realize that this is the goal. The globalists are not served by a well-educated populace. They want everything under control & pretty much are acheiving it, unless enough folks wake up.

Homeschooling is a good thing, in my view. I have met some of these children and they are much calmer, more self-possesed and generally much smarter, as a rule.

I need to check out that Gatto one. I've heard about it but haven't read it yet. Thanks for the insights and for the topic. It is crucial.

lucius
08-27-2007, 01:10 PM
... None Dare Call it Education ...

Just picked it up off Amazon for $0.01 + $3.99 shipping :D

Thanks for the prompt!

Colleen
08-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey, no problem & ty for the Gatto prompt. I'm on it now.

youngbuck
05-02-2009, 11:38 PM
There are a few parts of the article that are absolute hogwash. Here's an example:

My own defining moment, during which I decided that I would not continue with this class, occurred after I got a contact "high" upon leaving the bathroom attached to the "art room" at the end of the day. I had gone in it to make sure that the facets were turned off and that the stalls were not trashed.

Afterwards, I floated down to the principal to tell her that I was sure that I knew about which boy had smoked in the bathroom and explained my evidence. I also asked whether I could wait on school grounds until I felt normal as I didn't want to drive under the influence. Likewise, I asked whether I should call or visit the boy's parents to discuss his bringing marijuana to school.