PDA

View Full Version : Raw Food Diet makes children seriously ill

yongrel
06-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Is your family's faddy diet making your child ill?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1028854/Is-familys-faddy-diet-making-child-ill.html

Summary: Woman starts trendy diet. Woman eats only raw vegan foods. Woman feeds children same. Woman shocked to discover that children are very, very ill. Woman gives kids actual food again. Woman pleased to have healthy children again.

brandon
06-23-2008, 07:14 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1028854/Is-familys-faddy-diet-making-child-ill.html

Summary: Woman starts trendy diet. Woman eats only raw vegan foods. Woman feeds children same. Woman shocked to discover that children are very, very ill. Woman gives kids actual food again. Woman pleased to have healthy children again.

I am a great eater of beef as well, but this ^^ is just wrong. There is nothing about raw food that makes it not "actual food." All humans lived on raw diets back in the day, and our species seems to be doing just fine. You can get all the nutrients you need from raw food if you are doing it rite.

I have a friend who switched to a raw diet several years back. He dropped 50 lbs and his anxiety and depression problems cleared up.

yongrel
06-23-2008, 07:19 PM
I am a great eater of beef as well, but this ^^ is just wrong. There is nothing about raw food that makes it not "actual food." All humans lived on raw diets back in the day, and our species seems to be doing just fine. You can get all the nutrients you need from raw food if you are doing it rite.

I have a friend who switched to a raw diet several years back. He dropped 50 lbs and his anxiety and depression problems cleared up.

Our species was originally omnivorous with diets consistingly largely of scavenged meat. Back in the days of **** Habilis, we roamed around Africa looking for tasty carcasses to devour.

Raw foods may be healthy, but not to the exclusion of other food groups. The human body evolved with a diet that included a lot of meat, not just rabbit food. It doesn't make much sense to deprive the body of the foods that it is meant to process.

All things in moderation I suppose is the take-home lesson of this article.

brandon
06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Actually, raw diets permit the eating of meat. As long as it is raw. ;)

These diets are generally trendy and whacky, but I have seen them help people first hand. You can get sufficient protein and vitamins from vegetables if you are eating the right kind. A couple scoops of natural peanut butter will give you as much protein as a big serving of salmon or chicken.

Anyway, i'll stick with my pizza and hamburgers for now. :D

Dr.3D
06-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Romans 14:2-3

youngbuck
06-23-2008, 11:31 PM

Where's the supply of protein and amino acids? Where are the fats, especially the EFAs?! FAT SOLUBLE VITAMINS!!! Utter ignorance and stupidity! Raw food diets can be very good for you (or even optimal), but almost never when they are strictly vegan.

freelance
06-24-2008, 09:29 AM
I'd sooner die than switch to raw foods completely; however, nuts supply fats for days. So does olive oil. Nuts also provide protein.

The key is to avoid processed foods and ingredients. I sure hope that doesn't require explanation.

Paul.Bearer.of.Injustice
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
A couple scoops of natural peanut butter will give you as much protein as a big serving of salmon or chicken.

This is not correct, unless by "scoops" you actually mean "cups."

A tbsp of pb has 8g of protein, a fist sized piece of boneless chicken breast has 50g.

But a lot of protein(or simple carbohydrates) isn't really necessary unless one is an athlete or hard manual laborer who damages muscle and depletes muscle glycogen on a routine basis.