PDA

View Full Version : justified foreign intervention?

trey4sports
06-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Ive always believed that foreign intervention was only justified when a threat is present. ( no offensive wars, no foreign aid, no wars of aggresion)

but lately I've begun to wonder what to do about foreign genocide ?

I dont believe that the state has the power to take my taxed money and then send it to combat genocide that is no threat to the United States safety, but on the other hand can we really allow thousands of innocent civilians to die......

is there any way the free market could be utilized in this situation? could people really pool their money into a company which in turn would purchase assasins or trained warriors to fight-off foreign genocide and persecution?

Truth Warrior
06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Just about ANYTHING goes, as long as it's VOLUNTARY. YOU want it, YOU pay for it. :D

MRoCkEd
06-23-2008, 05:47 PM
"Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms." - Ron Paul

hypnagogue
06-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Very thorny issue. Having US based non-governmental military forces operating in other countries for private purposes is a diplomatic nightmare. Foreign Affairs is one of the things The People delegated to the federal government with the Constitution. Funneling money or weapons to international factions is almost as bad, even if it's easier to cover up. How many times have we armed and trained a foreign faction for seemingly good reasons only to have it blow up in our faces?

The only answer I can see is to limit our support to strictly humanitarian ends, ie. food, shelter, medical care, and perhaps under dire circumstances evacuation.