PDA

View Full Version : Speeders to pay for cops' gas, too

PatriotG
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/SpeedersToPayForCopsGasToo.aspx

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
"It's a creative and innovative idea of our police chief," spokeswoman Holly CothranDrake told the AFP news agency.

Lol. Yes, charging people higher fines and fees is a revolutionary new idea in government. It's so innovative, other governments are calling to find out how it works. (really, some extremely stupid govt people are calling.)

OptionsTrader
06-23-2008, 05:30 PM
In a free society, speeding would not be punishable. Neither would drug use, prostitution, or other things that may or may not lead to an actual crime (infringing on another person's life, liberty, or property) being committed against someone else. Punishment for a pre-crime is for Hollywood.

devil21
06-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Police Chief Ken Ball told USA Today: "I was hearing that Delta (Air Lines), pizza deliverers and florists were adding fuel charges to their services, and I thought, why not police departments?"

What's wrong with this picture? Oh yeah, pizza parlors and airlines are PRIVATE CORPORATIONS so they have the right to pass on fees for their OPTIONAL services. PD's are municipal entities that are already paid for by tax dollars. Not our problem they didn't budget enough for the gas fund. Welcome to our world.

Here's a novel idea. Instead of charging motorists gas fees (watch people get pulled over more often!), how about have cops get out of their AC'ed patrol cars and mingle with the people they are supposed to be serving? My city has mandated that cops walk a beat 15mins every hour to save costs.