PDA

View Full Version : 50% Delegate Penalty for Primary before Feb 5

Razmear
05-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I just saw this article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070525/ts_csm/acalendar;_ylt=ArOMvwySgyerq31xECHN_1ME1vAI

regarding the states pushing their primaries up. Before I just thought it was a case of oneupsmanship that would only really effect candidates by having to look better sooner, then I read this bit:

Under both parties' rules, any state (except Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, and South Carolina) that holds its primaries or caucuses earlier than Feb. 5, 2008, will lose delegates. Candidates would also be penalized for campaigning in a state too early. On the Democratic side, half of the regular delegates would be lost, as would half of the superdelegates – members of Congress and the governor, if he or she is a Democrat. On the Republican side, the sanction is to lose half of the regular delegates. In a delegate-rich state like Florida, the loss of so many delegates could cost a candidate the nomination.

But some observers predict the problem will be solved by having the violating states schedule later caucuses that are the real nominating contests. The early primaries would, in effect, be "beauty contests." But history has shown that such early nonbinding contests are taken seriously by candidates and voters, and can still have a winnowing effect on a field of candidates.

---