PDA

View Full Version : Maricopa County Sheriff rounding up Illegals

Maverick
06-21-2008, 11:07 AM
So, I'm sure most of you remember Sheriff Joe from Arizona. You know, the guy that made his prisoners live in tent cities and wear pink underwear (hehe).

Well, now he has a new plan. He's sending deputies out into Hispanic neighborhoods all over Maricopa County looking to round up and deport illegals. They're stopping people on the street, knocking on doors, and forcing people to present ID. If they refuse, they are arrested on the spot. They can then attempt to prove their citizenship while detained.

Sheriff to Arrest Anyone That Doesn't Have I.D.

Frustrated by a steady flow of illegal Mexican immigrants into Arizona, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has decided to take matters into his own hands.

Arpaio dispatches teams of sheriff's deputies into Hispanic communities where they stop people and arrest anyone who cannot prove he or she is a legal U.S. resident.

Now he faces an onslaught of criticism from Hispanic activists, local lawmakers and the Phoenix mayor, who call his crackdown on immigrants a clear case of racial profiling in which only people who look Hispanic are targeted.

"What right does a mayor or a police chief, or anyone like that, have to tell me what my priorities are?" Arpaio said in a recent interview. "I'm the elected sheriff. I tell them what their priorities are."

But Mary Rose Wilcox, a county supervisor and longtime Hispanic activist says, "All he is doing is going after everybody with a brown face."

"There's no doubt in my mind that this is racial profiling. None."

Across the country, state and local officials have taken steps to curb illegal immigration. More than 240 immigration-related measures were passed last year.

Arpaio says he has received an outpouring of support for his effort in the form of letters and donations of about $25,000 from the public to help fund the initiative.

http://radio.woai.com/pages/pp_joepags.html

I heard this on the radio the other day, and the only source I could find was the radio website. If anyone else could find additional sources or info it would be much appreciated.

HOLLYWOOD
06-21-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't see why WE as American Taxpayers have to flip the bill...

Do what we do to all the countries the government HATES: Bill them... Freeze their assets, make them pay a premium cost with SURCHARGES, FINES, PENALTIES, FEES, PROCESSING, etc.

Oh, I forgot, Our government only does that to American Taxpayers.

What a load of CRAP at all government levels!

Kalifornia
06-21-2008, 11:30 AM
While I agree with large scale deportation, I disagree with Arpaio's tactics (as I always seem to, this fucker is a knucklehead).

The randomness of this is stomping all over the 4th Am. You need PC to arrest people, or to compel them to produce identification (which is a seizure). He is without a doubt gonna end up effecting some unlawful arrests of U.S. citizens with this scheme.

Here again, we have a wanna be conservative who just doesnt understand what conservatism really is.

Maverick
06-21-2008, 11:39 AM
While I agree with large scale deportation, I disagree with Arpaio's tactics (as I always seem to, this fucker is a knucklehead).

The randomness of this is stomping all over the 4th Am. You need PC to arrest people, or to compel them to produce identification (which is a seizure). He is without a doubt gonna end up effecting some unlawful arrests of U.S. citizens with this scheme.

Here again, we have a wanna be conservative who just doesnt understand what conservatism really is.

Thank you. I just came back to read the responses, and I was going to ask HOLLYWOOD if he had even read beyond the title. The point of my post wasn't just that he's rounding up illegals, but how he's going about doing it. Cops can't just walk up to any random person on the street and demand ID.