PDA

View Full Version : Where does our freedom originate? & Liberty vs. Security

Matt Collins
06-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Natural law extends from human nature which is created by God (or Nature if you are an atheist). Because humans are individuals and desire freedom from artificial restraint and because all humans desire to be free, our freedoms extend from our humanity and ultimately the Creator of that humanity (or Nature).

Freedom does not come from the government. Freedom does not come from the consent of the governed. Freedom does not come from the community. Freedom comes from human nature because it is inherent in our beings.

Our freedoms cannot be disregarded by the government unless we are convicted with due procedural process that we have violated someone else's freedoms (natural law).

The goal of government is NOT to bring the greatest benefit to the greatest number of people. The ONLY goal of government is to secure liberty which is the freedom to obey one's own free will and concise, rather than the will of others.

The United States was created by individuals giving power to their States, and then the States giving power to the federal government. This is opposite of Europe where monarchs granted privileges to whom it chose.

Liberty and security are NOT to be balanced. Liebrty is the default position because it is integral to our nature. A government powerful enough to take away your liberties cannot be expected to return it.

FunkBuddha
06-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Bravo!

Matt Collins
06-20-2008, 09:25 PM
I didn't write it.... I got it from here:
(everyone should read this)

http://www.judgenap.com/gfx/nation-cover.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Sheep-Andrew-P-Napolitano/dp/1595550976/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214017280&sr=8-1

FunkBuddha
06-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Sounded familiar. I haven't read Nation of Sheep but I have read Constitutional Chaos and The Constitution in Exile.

Napolitano rocks. I really enjoyed the Natural Law vs Positivist Law sections.

Matt Collins
06-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Sounded familiar. I haven't read Nation of Sheep but I have read Constitutional Chaos and The Constitution in Exile.

Napolitano rocks. I really enjoyed the Natural Law vs Positivist Law sections.Hey - I'm sitting on my couch tonight going through this stuff with a highlighter. Other than having my girlfriend over, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing on a Friday night! :cool: