PDA

View Full Version : Could Ron Paul Win in New Hampshire?

CurtisLow
05-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Could Ron Paul Win in New Hampshire?
Friday, May 25, 2007 - FreeMarketNews.com

Could Presidential candidate and Congressman Ron Paul (R-Tex) win the Republican national primary in New Hampshire? If he did so, the momentum would be significant – and the press coverage massive - as New Hampshire may be the first state to hold a formal election, even beating out the Iowa caucus.

“Ron Paul could win in New Hampshire,” says a source close to the campaign. “It would be an explosive political act – one that would devastate the common wisdom. The mainstream media hasn’t realized it yet, but folks in New Hampshire take him seriously.”

Ron Paul could use a win in New Hampshire to provide momentum in other states – especially if New Hampshire positions itself as the nation’s first primary again. The state actually has considerable flexibility in terms of setting a primary. The system allows state officials to wait right up to the last minute before they commit to a date. It’s possible that the primary could be held in the second week of January, or even earlier, in December 07. This may explain why the Ron Paul campaign is not putting a lot of emphasis on Iowa but has just hired a campaign manager in New Hampshire with considerable professional experience.

While the Ron Paul campaign isn’t commenting on any moves, New Hampsher-ites likely sat up and took notice recently when James "The Primary Source" Pindell reported that "Former New Hampshire state Representative Barbara Hagan of Manchester endorsed Texas Congressman Ron Paul's presidential campaign and will organize outreach to the state's pro-life community."

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=42148&fb=1

DjLoTi
05-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Makes me feel very good :)

llamabread
05-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Sounds good. If he wins New Hampshire or at least finishes in the top three, the media will have no choice but to give him equal air time.

a_texian
05-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Llama,

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the MSM to give him "equal time", well, except to maybe pontificate about what a "fluke" it was that he placed highly in the primaries or maybe to try to blame it on "the radical internet" sect (you know --- US!). They all suffer from being 1) not altogether the brightest bulbs in the pack and/or 2) the most biased folks who ever lived and hence will try to explain-away any such showing as not being a "valid" parallel with his overall standings.

They're gonna milk that dead-cow for all it's worth in order to push their own pet politico. Sad but true.

Ed Boyd

Karmus
05-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Its slow and its not all good, but RP is being covered in the news, not nearly as much as Rudy McRomney or Hil/Obama but much more than any of the other "2nd tier" candidates. I think he's more of a Tier 1.5 candidate atm actually. He is getting alot more air time than he had been, and people are having a tendency of mentioning him here and there. It might just be to say he doesn't have a shot, but its mentioning all the same, and that is getting his name out there.

In reference to New Hampshire. I believe RP has a very good chance there, in fact I think he has a very good chance in a lot of the northern "blue" states because it seems to me alot of them are fed up with politics in general, and RP is a lot more lucrative to Independants and Democrats than any of the democrat candidates. He's willing to go that extra mile, such as not voting for the war funding bill irregardless of its ensured passing (reference to Hillary). It just comes down to getting his name out there and having his take on the issues known. Lets get out on the streets now, and let these people know about the hope that is RP.

Vote Ron Paul 2008.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-27-2007, 09:01 AM
I have seen Huckabee on FNC many times, yet no RP.

qedtanya
05-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't it be nice?

austinphish
05-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Sounds good. If he wins New Hampshire or at least finishes in the top three, the media will have no choice but to give him equal air time.

Shouldn't those Freestaters have already pushed a lot of Ron Paul's principles. They should really be rallying the troops. This is their big chance at helping on the Federal level.

IMO, any libertarian who doesn't support Ron Paul is the true enemy of his campaign.

romelll
05-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I can't remmber who the leading Democrat candidate was in 1992 but if memory serves me well I do not think it was B. CLinton. Be intrested to see if he was a 2nd tier candidate. I also do not think Jimmy Carter was a chosen guy until the convention. Sorry to use to horrible Presidents but that might through a wrench in this "Paul can't win" crap.

kylejack
05-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I have seen Huckabee on FNC many times, yet no RP.

He's been on 3 times, if you count the debate. Videos on Youtube.

DrStrabismus
05-27-2007, 10:46 AM
remember, the free state project is pretty new, there are only 458 there already...

see the counter top right on: http://www.freestateproject.org/

but nh has traditionally been small gov in the past so you never know

kylejack
05-27-2007, 12:04 PM
remember, the free state project is pretty new, there are only 458 there already...

see the counter top right on: http://www.freestateproject.org/

but nh has traditionally been small gov in the past so you never know

458 activists, not just voters.

jaybone
05-27-2007, 04:33 PM
The free staters are not your run of the mill, idealist libertarians.
They have already made a serious commitment to this way of life and undoubtedly will be hard loud and clear by NH residents.
Many of them have been very involved in state and local politics and are leading by example every day.
They have already pressured the legislature into voting down a smoking ban, leaving such choices to proprietors and patrons and came within a hair of telling Washington to take real ID and shove it.
There is a reason why they picked NH to locate the project also; New Hampshire has very deep roots in libertarian-esque ideals. "Live free or die", their state motto comes to mind.
I know if and when the sh*t hits the fan in the US, I'll be walking away from my mortgage and heading up to join them.
I am very optimistic about Ron's chances for a great showing in NH!

Join me in my optimism by doing some reading here:
http://www.freestateblogs.net

jaybone
05-27-2007, 04:35 PM
I stand corrected they DID tell the feds to shove real ID!
http://www.freestateblogs.net/node/1406

kelldor
05-27-2007, 05:24 PM
The debate in NH coming up will be between Mitt Romney and Ron Paul. Ron Paul has made many campaign stops in NH so far, and he is in 2nd place in campaign funds from NH, Romney being in 1st, and thats over all candidates.

NH residents are not going to like Romney's continued support for the Iraq War, and that is where Ron Paul will wipe the floor with him, despite Romney being from a neighboring state. What we need to see happen is a Romney vs. Paul exchange in NH, just like what we saw with Rudy. If we see that, Ron Paul will smoke Romney, and further propel himself into the national spotlight. This would spell certain disaster for Giuliani and McCain, neither of which will do well in NH. Giuliani's socially liberal positions will be accepted better in NH, but his support for Iraq will slump him, McCain is literally circling the drain, largely cause of Iraq.

Ron Paul should utterly dominate NH on the issues of Iraq, foreign policy, and fiscal policy.

I am very excited :)

USAFCapt
05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Buchanan won in New Hampshire in 1996 and McCain won in 2000. McCain actually received 49%, Bush: 30%, Forbes: 13%, Keyes 6%.

Minuteman2008
05-28-2007, 01:03 AM
Maybe this will be Buchanan all over again. They supported a noninterventionist true conservative once, maybe they're ready for one again.