View Full Version : House Passes War Funding Bill 268-155

OptionsTrader
06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Paul voted against it, obviously.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121392051836690449.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

House Passes War-Funding Bill
Associated Press
June 19, 2008 9:13 p.m.

A long-delayed Iraq war funding bill sailed through the House on Thursday, along with historic increases in college aid for returning troops and help for the unemployed and Midwestern flood victims.

Republican allies of President Bush provided the winning margin in a 268-155 vote to provide $162 billion to fund U.S. operations in Iraq and Afghanistan well into next year.

Democrats opposed to the war, however, succeeded in using the Iraq funding bill as an engine to drive past White House resistance of a sweeping revision to GI Bill college benefits and a 13-week extension of unemployment checks for those whose benefits have run out.

Lawmakers separately approved those domestic add-ons by a 416-12 vote, sending the combined bill to the Senate for a vote next week. The White House issued a statement supporting the legislation.

The measure also provides a quick $2.7 billion infusion of emergency flood relief for the Midwest, though more is expected to be needed to deal with the major losses in Iowa, Illinois and other states.

The bill would bring to more than $650 billion the amount provided by Congress for the war in Iraq since it started five years ago. Nearly $200 billion in additional funding has gone to operations in Afghanistan, according to congressional analysts.

It also would give Bush's successor several months to set Iraq policy after taking office in January -- and spares lawmakers the need to cast more war funding votes closer to Election Day.

"The way it's been set up now, whoever, is president will have a few months to think through how we are going to extricate ourselves," said House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey (D-Wis.), a key negotiator.

Copyright © 2008 Associated Press

silverlegacy
06-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Anybody have details on the GI Bill changes?

Those I actually support because our troops have been lied to about the benefits they would receive, and our veterans deserve better than that.

ItsTime
06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Anybody have details on the GI Bill changes?

Those I actually support because our troops have been lied to about the benefits they would receive, and our veterans deserve better than that.

I am more worried about my friends dying in Iraq. Lets work on the real issues first. Hard to go to college when you are getting fired on in Iraq. that simple logic goes by the liberal minds.

silverlegacy
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
I am more worried about my friends dying in Iraq. Lets work on the real issues first. Hard to go to college when you are getting fired on in Iraq. that simple logic goes by the liberal minds.

I totally agree, but when the Republicans have the balls to say that they support our troops and veterans and then try to shoot down fulfilling their promises to the people who they sent to war, I have an extreme problem with that. We are spending hundreds of billions on the wars but won't spend 50 billion (spread out over years) to give vets a college education. Which, would later come back in more tax revenue because they would now have better paying jobs. This is a real issue and needs to be solved! I would say keep $50 billion set aside for the war now, and use that for the scholarships. Then, I would pull out all of the troops as soon as I could get the planes there, and use that money to try to balance our budget. There is no reason that we can't have both of those pass at the same time.