PDA

View Full Version : We are making progress

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 07:20 PM
A couple of weeks ago I went to an amusement park and wore my Vote Ron Paul T-shirt. My wife overheard some people behind us in line saying "Who is this Ron Paul guy? I am seeing banners for him on the overpasses on my way to work." (MY wife told me about overhearing this on the way home, I wish I had heard them I would have been glad to share!)

Also, several people at work have said to me that they are seeing a lot of signage around their neighborhoods and they have kind of jokingly asked "Is that you putting those all up?" And I just smile and say "No, there are a lot of us involved!"
A couple of the guys at work have even become pretty strong supporters of RP, and people are also at least investigating and finding out.

Not saying we still don't have a long way to go, but word IS getting out.

I also have an idea for how we can literally blanket the country with Ron Paul. I have been wanting to move on this for some time and I just don't have the skills necessary so.....

First off, we need a really well done DVD. (Aravoth are you there?) The format of the DVD needs to be something like a 5 minute introduction to RP (just an overview maybe some youtube clips, etc.) then we need to get about a 5 minute speech on each issue (start with and emphasize strong positions like the War in Iraq, maybe spend more time on this because he explains his position so well.) but also say the top ten issues. So we are looking at about an hour video.

Then at the end of the video we need to make like a multi-level marketting presentation. Maybe briefly show how RP has been blacked out by the old media and then make a plea to help us get around the old media with this campaign.

All they need to do is order 10 copies of the DVD for $10 (we could also include permission to reproduce it themselves for non-profit). Basically each person needs to either have a party and invite 10 friends over for pizza and to watch the video or distribute the 10 copies. We essentially need to use the multilevel marketting model but this is not for money this is for our freedom. $10 is not much to invest and I think this could really be great to get the word out.

Like I said this was something I really wanted to put together myself, but I just don't have the video creation skills to do it justice. Anyone want to tackle this, think it is a good/bad idea?

We all know that the vast majority of people that hear the message become supporters - I think this could really take off.

foofighter20x
08-26-2007, 07:23 PM
How much you need to get moving on this?

I'll chip in $100.

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 07:28 PM
It's not the money Foo - its the skillz. I am proposing the idea, and I would totally be involved in getting it distributed/mass produced, but I really need somone with some talent in the video department to make the original DVD.

Thanks for the money offer, that's not the problem at this point. :)

I would really like to have people make suggestions on how to improve on this, also any volunteers to put the DVD together...

Man from La Mancha
08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
I highly agree we need a great DVD and that party idea sounds good. Many people have DVD burners, if each of us burns and passes out 100 DVDs and only one out of a hundred does the same thing it can work. Is there a mapping system that we all can access and check off homes we have left a DVD at. What is Sevenate doing?

0zzy
08-26-2007, 07:34 PM
I would REALLY like a DVD that would be separated by issues (5-10 minutes each). It needs to be PROFESSIONAL. VERY GOOD! AWESOME! The last DVD was too long and didn't divide into specific issues. People have short attention spans.

FunkBuddha
08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I wish we could get one of these threads stickied. Every time I post to one or have created one, they've been run off the page!

We can get 100GB of storage and 1TB of transfer a month for $6.99. I'll gladly pay for this but I have 0 web dev skills. I've got around 2-3GB of video myself.

I was thinking we could have a video repository that had user access controls. Anyone can see the files, but only approved members can upload/download. It would also help if we could pull out the bit rate/dimensions for the file list so people have an idea of the quality before they download.

MsDoodahs
08-26-2007, 07:42 PM
OI, I love the idea and agree that we need to get this done within the next couple of weeks at the latest.

I am not techie and don't even know how to burn a dvd, else I'd offer to help.

If someone can create one (PAGING ARAVOTH :D ) I'd either buy predone copies or ... hell, it can't be THAT hard to burn a dvd and this would be incentive for me to figure out exactly how to do that.

FunkBuddha
08-26-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't know how many people have gmail accounts but we could use Google Docs/SpreadSheets to collaborate.

I started a spreadsheet to break the videos down by subjects. So we could cut together whole segments on things like healthcare, taxes etc. With 10 people going through video we could get all of the video done in a few days.

james1844
08-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Anybody know who we would have to hire to make this happen?

american.swan
08-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Sitting at work, nothing much to do. BUMP. whistling a tune.

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
I was thinking the youtube vids from when it was Ron Paul week on Youtube would be a good starting point. Those he had the time to explain his position and I think that is what we need is a solid five minutesof pure Ron Paul on each topic. I also think that throwing in some things that show his CONSISTENCY is critical (i.e. some video of him on the floor of Congress 10 years ago saying why starting an undeclared war in Iraq would lead us to "a result that no American will be happy with".

My big enthusiasm for this idea is it could "go viral" in the real world just like the r<LOVE>ution has on the www.

The main hurdle, I believe, is getting the DVD done. Again, wish I had Aravoth's skill. Maybe I just need to do my best - mediocre is better than none, I suppose.

quickmike
08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Anybody know who we would have to hire to make this happen?

I say someone should get hold of Clint Eastwood. He makes some pretty good movies, an awesome director, and just happens to be libertarian. I bet he could make a kick ass Ron Paul video if he was so inclined to.:D

american.swan
08-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Could you add a "more" after the initial show on the issues?....like after the initial issue presentation like the original thread post talks about use up any extra space with a few longer pieces like a speech from the floor of congress or a video where someone reads a speech from Ron's library. You know have the text scroll while a nice voice reads it.

and finish it off with links to important sources online and off.

The initial video is the bait and have some meat at the end.

Man from La Mancha
08-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I would REALLY like a DVD that would be separated by issues (5-10 minutes each). It needs to be PROFESSIONAL. VERY GOOD! AWESOME! The last DVD was too long and didn't divide into specific issues. People have short attention spans.I agree with the shorts you suggest but I like to use the whole DVD, that google interview was excellent to have at the end. Those instructional shorts on the Ron Paul google page are good, who would have the originals to those they looked like HQ made them?

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Here is what I am thinking - please criticize/build on this.

Intro -

Narrator introduces Ron Paul, explains we are amking this video because the media is ignoring Ron Paul. Not in depth conspiracy theories, but just some brief evidence of Ron Paul's strong support and the media's lack of coverage. (Personally, I think showing his meetup volunteer numbers is a critical point to make here.) 5 minutes

Ron Paul on the Iraq War/pre-emptive war/Just War 5-10 minutes

RP on education. 5 minutes

RP on healthcare 5 minutes

RP on income taxes, welfare, corporate welfare 5-10 minutes

RP on abortion 5 minutes

RP on immigration 5 minutes

RP on "group rights" vs individual rights 5 minutes

RP on the proper role of government/Constitution 5-10 minutes

Narrator wrap up - Reiterate media black out, lay out ways to get involved i.e. meetup, donation, and REPLICATING the party they are at by ordering 10 DVD's for $10 and either hosting a party or distributing the DVDs to 10 friends.

5-10 minutes

So that's about an hour to 70 minutes. anything that should be added? I think the wrap up needs to be really strong, we need someone who can really "close the deal" to convince people to order copies or duplicate the DVD themselves and we need to get them to get a sense of urgency because the time is so short to get the word out.

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Could you add a "more" after the initial show on the issues?....like after the initial issue presentation like the original thread post talks about use up any extra space with a few longer pieces like a speech from the floor of congress or a video where someone reads a speech from Ron's library. You know have the text scroll while a nice voice reads it.

and finish it off with links to important sources online and off.

The initial video is the bait and have some meat at the end.

That is a GREAT idea, fill up the DVD with more in depth stuff. AWESOME!!!

EvilEngineer
08-26-2007, 08:12 PM
I've can lend my skills, I own and operate an IT company and can put together the video with some help of video researchers. I can upload the dvd content once it is complete and host it on a bit torrent so it can be shared with various people who would like to participate in the burning and distribution.

I've been working on an idea like this already, but it's for a mobile video display worn on an individual. The idea being bridging the gap for people to be instantly be able to answer the question, "who is Ron Paul?".

MGreen
08-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey there. First time poster, semi-frequent reader.

I'd be willing to help out with the DVD idea. I'm a film student and I think I could at least contribute to this. The only problem I see right now is getting the material. I know I wouldn't watch an hour of footage recorded off a youtube stream, so we'd need to find high quality sources.

I'm new at this, but if this is a serious proposal, it's worth throwing it out: could/should we approach the Ron Paul campaign and ask for their help? From what I can remember, their official youtube videos are done by someone on their staff, so perhaps we could network with him/her and ask for whatever high quality material they have in storage. I can't imagine it'd be too much of a burden, especially if they already have a lot of it in 640x480 resolution uploaded to the internet.

And I agree that a copy of the Google interview would be very nice to have on the DVD. We can still use excerpts, but have the hour long video as an option for those who want more.

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Also, I don't think we we want a music video for this. Those are great on youtube, but I realy think this needs to be a "just the facts, ma'am" video. My opinion.

MsDoodahs
08-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Agree with "no music."

Idea: Contact the Mises Institute and ask if they have any footage of past RP speeches that fit the quality needed.

Also, The Future of Freedom Foundation had a recent event and I know Ron spoke at that one as well. They may have quality footage that they'd be willing to make available.

CSpan - I don't know how that works but if it is possible to get footage of some of Ron's speeches from the house floor?

I'm pretty sure our own Bryan was at today's Birthday BBQ Bash and was getting footage of today's speech...

RonTaylor
08-26-2007, 08:29 PM
http://ronpauldvd.com/

Suzu
08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
We can get 100GB of storage and 1TB of transfer a month for $6.99. I'll gladly pay for this but I have 0 web dev skills. I've got around 2-3GB of video myself.

I was thinking we could have a video repository that had user access controls. Anyone can see the files, but only approved members can upload/download. It would also help if we could pull out the bit rate/dimensions for the file list so people have an idea of the quality before they download.

I've got 1TB of storage and 3TB of transfer a month for half that cost, and I have file repository already set up, waiting to be used. Members of the RonPaul Volunteer Network have access to it. Feel free to join, we need you! And if provided with the raw video footage, I can make this DVD.

Suzu
08-26-2007, 08:33 PM
http://ronpauldvd.com/

That is a 3.5-hour montage of low-resolution youtube clips. It's a decent DVD, but not what we want for this purpose.

Hamburglar
08-26-2007, 08:37 PM
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/ might be helpful, it's well organized into topics and has some links to google video.

Suzu
08-26-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/ might be helpful, it's well organized into topics and has some links to google video.

Google video is often better quality than youtube, but is usually pretty low resolution.

Hook
08-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Don't worry about the 100Gig storage, just bittorent it. Make an .iso file so that we can all burn the DVD. Plus make a .jpg of the label so we can make it look professional.

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Here is what I am thinking - please criticize/build on this.

Intro -

Narrator introduces Ron Paul, explains we are amking this video because the media is ignoring Ron Paul. Not in depth conspiracy theories, but just some brief evidence of Ron Paul's strong support and the media's lack of coverage. (Personally, I think showing his meetup volunteer numbers is a critical point to make here.) 5 minutes

Ron Paul on the Iraq War/pre-emptive war/Just War 5-10 minutes

RP on education. 5 minutes

RP on healthcare 5 minutes

RP on income taxes, welfare, corporate welfare 5-10 minutes

RP on abortion 5 minutes

RP on immigration 5 minutes

RP on "group rights" vs individual rights 5 minutes

RP on the proper role of government/Constitution 5-10 minutes

Narrator wrap up - Reiterate media black out, lay out ways to get involved i.e. meetup, donation, and REPLICATING the party they are at by ordering 10 DVD's for $10 and either hosting a party or distributing the DVDs to 10 friends.

5-10 minutes

So that's about an hour to 70 minutes. anything that should be added? I think the wrap up needs to be really strong, we need someone who can really "close the deal" to convince people to order copies or duplicate the DVD themselves and we need to get them to get a sense of urgency because the time is so short to get the word out.

Any ideas or criticism's of this format?

thomj76
08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I think it should be 3 min each.

If people want more, then we have another more in depth one. that way, you can say in less time than watching one 30 min tv show, you can find out who is Ron Paul, while you eat a meal.

Original_Intent
08-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah the time it is not anything specific. I t should be brief but enough time to explain the position a little. What Ron Paul has to say does not lend itself to sound bites.

You are right though, we could probably get the message down to 30 minutes to do the convincing, and then have additonal material for more in depth explanations filling up the rest of the DVD.

Revolution9
08-26-2007, 10:25 PM
It's not the money Foo - its the skillz. I am proposing the idea, and I would totally be involved in getting it distributed/mass produced, but I really need somone with some talent in the video department to make the original DVD.

Thanks for the money offer, that's not the problem at this point. :)

I would really like to have people make suggestions on how to improve on this, also any volunteers to put the DVD together...

I can easily comp this together but my problem has been getting good fotage and picking out the appropriate videos. If that can be assembled I'll play whipping horse and assemble and composite to DVD.

Best
Randy

billm317
08-27-2007, 12:47 AM
I started going through the google interview and splitting it up by topics. I can continue this and finish it up, then upload it somewhere. Is this something you guys feel would be beneficial?

Man from La Mancha
08-27-2007, 01:33 AM
I started going through the google interview and splitting it up by topics. I can continue this and finish it up, then upload it somewhere. Is this something you guys feel would be beneficial?We need high quality video not off the net , is this original recordings? If it is that would be great.

gtjwkq
08-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Don't worry about the 100Gig storage, just bittorent it. Make an .iso file so that we can all burn the DVD. Plus make a .jpg of the label so we can make it look professional.Exactly, why are some people worrying about storage/transfer? Use bittorrent.

I've checked out http://ronpauldvd.com and they have a torrent of a DVD iso file (http://ronpauldvd.com/downloads/ronpauldvddotcom.iso.torrent), I just began downloading it and I'll keep my µTorrent client (http://www.utorrent.com) running 24/7 from now on, to help seed the file.

MsDoodahs
08-27-2007, 08:54 AM
OI, I'm pretty sure that one of our fearless forum leaders got video of Ron's speech yesterday, he did cover a lot of topics so ... you might want to try contacting Bryan.

Original_Intent
08-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I just got off the phone with campaign HQ. They will have a campaign DVD available VERY shortly and it will be OK to duplicate, available in bulk etc etc. So it seems like this could be what we need.

If they don't include the MLM concept, we can include a flyer with the DVD that encourages people to "go viral" with it.

So I guess we wait for HQ.

MsDoodahs
08-27-2007, 10:08 AM
VERY shortly as in within a few weeks?

Man from La Mancha
08-27-2007, 10:10 AM
VERY shortly as in within a few weeks?Really:D

richard1984
08-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I like the DVD idea--especially if there would be a way for individuals to make copies of it and pass it out around campus and other places around here with a lot of people.

I got to wondering when I was reading your post (Original Intent), is it possible for us to create and fund a Ron Paul television commercial? Do commercials have to be the work of the official campaign, or can we possibly do this ourselves? I know that there are some people out there who have maxed out their $2,300 donation limit but would still like to donate money to useful causes in support of Dr. Paul. Perhaps there are some people who could fund true grassroots TV commercials? I don't know. Just a thought.

richard1984
08-27-2007, 10:14 AM
I just got off the phone with campaign HQ. They will have a campaign DVD available VERY shortly and it will be OK to duplicate, available in bulk etc etc. So it seems like this could be what we need.

If they don't include the MLM concept, we can include a flyer with the DVD that encourages people to "go viral" with it.

So I guess we wait for HQ.

Oh, cool. I hadn't read that when I just posted my comment. That's exciting. I hope it's as awesome as Ron Paul is!! :D

Original_Intent
08-27-2007, 10:16 AM
They just told me it is in the final phases of being mass produced. They would not give me pricing or an exact date, but when I told them what I wanted to do they said this is what they would want us to use.

I'm as anxious as anyone, it just struck me how little time we have left to get this job done.

Essentially all they told me is it is divided into topics, is high quality and it's what the campaign wants us to use. I hope they have it for us soon.

MsDoodahs
08-27-2007, 10:19 AM
I got to wondering when I was reading your post (Original Intent), is it possible for us to create and fund a Ron Paul television commercial? Do commercials have to be the work of the official campaign, or can we possibly do this ourselves? I know that there are some people out there who have maxed out their $2,300 donation limit but would still like to donate money to useful causes in support of Dr. Paul. Perhaps there are some people who could fund true grassroots TV commercials? I don't know. Just a thought.

We already ARE making a commercial.

I think there is a stickie about it.