PDA

View Full Version : McCain's top VP choice calls Intelligent Design "best science"

yongrel
06-19-2008, 05:27 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/19/jindal-intelligent-design_n_108147.html

Bobby Jindal, Louisiana Governor, exorcist, and potential McCain running mate, was interviewed on CBS's Face The Nation on Father's Day. Among the topics covered, Jindal was asked about his opinions on the debate over intelligent design's place in the public school curriculum. Jindal supports teaching intelligent design alongside evolution in the classroom, saying:

I personally think that the life, human life and the world we live in wasn't created accidentally. I do think that there's a creator. I'm a Christian. I do think that God played a role in creating not only earth, but mankind. Now, the way that he did it, I'd certainly want my kids to be exposed to the very best science. I don't want them to be-I don't want any facts or theories or explanations to be withheld from them because of political correctness. The way we're going to have smart, intelligent kids is exposing them to the very best science and let them not only decide, but also let them contribute to that body of knowledge.

Great. The Department of Education is there in order to force through top-down educational mandates, afterall.

silverlegacy
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
I fail to see how Intelligent Design is a science. Philosophy... sure and I believe it should be taught as such. Current science supports evolution and it should be treated as such without ANY inclusion of religion. They are separate subjects in my mind.

rational thinker
06-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Science = naturalism.

Intelligent design is by definition a contradiction of terms when trying to teach it as a science. The scientific stance on the supernatural is silent.

I don't know if it would be wise though, yongrel, to use this story as a tool to hurt McCain because those supporters could react with Ron Paul's stance on evolution. I know that it isn't something Paul would enforce on education, but it still sounds kind of hypocritical.

Alex Libman
06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
oh, bollocks

nate895
06-20-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't see him wanting the Federal Government wanting to do anything about it. Most people who I know who hold this opinion believe local school districts should decide curriculum, not the Feds or courts. I don't like Bobby Jindal for other reasons, but centralization of curriculum is not one of them.

IRO-bot
06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't see him wanting the Federal Government wanting to do anything about it. Most people who I know who hold this opinion believe local school districts should decide curriculum, not the Feds or courts. I don't like Bobby Jindal for other reasons, but centralization of curriculum is not one of them.

That's all fine and dandy, I agree. But uh, Intelligent Design has to be a Scientific Theory, otherwise it is merely theology. Which isn't curriculum in public schools.

Mesogen
06-20-2008, 12:22 PM
"I'm a Christian and my religion tells me that God created life with a purpose. I believe that. That's why I think Intelligent Design is the best science."

That's called FAIL.

Kade
06-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Outstanding. State imposed theonomy.

Fox McCloud
06-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about--Ron Paul has made similar comments that he personally thinks that both should be taught in school, but that ultimately it should be up to the local governments to decide.

1000-points-of-fright
06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Real scientists could easily expose the Intelligent Design movement for what it is, Biblical Creationism, by saying this... "Yes, it is entirely possible that there is a Creator and he (or she) created the universe with the Big Bang and all life evolved from that point as part of the creator's plan."

At that point, they will no longer be able to avoid using real data to keep the discussion about the intelligence behind the design. They will have to defend their concept of the design itself. Then they will fail because all they have is the story of creation.

RideTheDirt
06-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, if you read Genesis and keep in mind that the theory of the big bang pretty much correlates w/ what the bible says.I would LOVE for somebody to explain to me where the energy that was released that CREATED everything came from. Anyone?

nate895
06-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Well, to tell you the truth, if you read Genesis and keep in mind that the theory of the big bang pretty much correlates w/ what the bible says.I would LOVE for somebody to explain to me where the energy that was released that CREATED everything came from. Anyone?

That's my problem with the scientific theories that exclude God. They never answer where the original matter comes from, it surely couldn't haven't just been there, it had to have come from somewhere.

Indy4Chng
06-20-2008, 03:58 PM
I took a class an atholopoligy class in college and they tried to show proof that we evolved from apes but example after example that connected us to apes had been forged . The teacher (an evolunist) said that eventially they will find proof, but hadn't yet. So what is wrong with teaching both, neither has been proven to be true.

Although it should be up to the districts to decide, not the federal government.

1000-points-of-fright
06-20-2008, 04:15 PM
That's my problem with the scientific theories that exclude God. They never answer where the original matter comes from, it surely couldn't haven't just been there, it had to have come from somewhere.

That's because nobody knows and I don't think there are too many people trying to figure it out. There are too many things to figure out before we can even begin to go that far back. Not knowing the why does not mean that everything we know about the how is wrong.

kombayn
06-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Ron Paul doesn't believe in Evolution and I totally disagree with him about allowing Creationism to be taught in a public school. Church & State are suppose to be separate, now if a private school wants to teach non-sense like that fine but not public schools.

malkusm
06-20-2008, 07:19 PM
That's all fine and dandy, I agree. But uh, Intelligent Design has to be a Scientific Theory, otherwise it is merely theology. Which isn't curriculum in public schools.

Just quoting this because I agree with it....and I thought it was awesome to see my quote in your sig :D

mediahasyou
06-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Don't like the teaching. Send them to a different school. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swl8frWSNEQ)

James Madison
06-20-2008, 08:35 PM
I took a class an atholopoligy class in college and they tried to show proof that we evolved from apes but example after example that connected us to apes had been forged . The teacher (an evolunist) said that eventially they will find proof, but hadn't yet. So what is wrong with teaching both, neither has been proven to be true.

Ah yes, the missing 'missing link'. I don't claim to know where humanity came from but sometimes I have my doubts about evolving from apes.

FrankRep
06-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Should evolution/creation be taught on Public schools? A better question would be: Should we have Public Schools?

silverlegacy
06-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Science isn't supposed to be a religion. There needs to be evidence to support your way of thinking. To this day there is no evidence that a God exists, only faith. Which, by all means have if you choose.

If you choose to believe in evolution or not, there is evidence to show that the theory is possible if not likely. Creation relies on the supernatural for its proof. That is why it shouldn't be taught as science. Philosophy, I am perfectly fine with that.

mtmedlin
06-21-2008, 11:02 PM

So just because we dont know, we are supposed to believe that some all knowing, all powerful, fully omnipotent god made us. Nope, I will just acknowledge that I dont know everything and hold onto some level of credibility.

So here is my question. Since I cannot prove where this energy came from that made the big bang, YOU prove that god exists. Anyone?

(waits for them to realize their question was equally faulty....)

mtmedlin
06-21-2008, 11:04 PM
...now back to the thread at hand.

Jindal will not get the VP nod. I still think that McCain may go for a women. Either Libby Dole, Kay Bailey Hutchinson or my personal fav....Sarah Polin. He will especially need a women if Obama takes Richardson as his VP. Obama / Richardson is nearly unstopable and the electoral math is a freaking landslide.

Theocrat
06-21-2008, 11:45 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/19/jindal-intelligent-design_n_108147.html

Bobby Jindal, Louisiana Governor, exorcist, and potential McCain running mate, was interviewed on CBS's Face The Nation on Father's Day. Among the topics covered, Jindal was asked about his opinions on the debate over intelligent design's place in the public school curriculum. Jindal supports teaching intelligent design alongside evolution in the classroom, saying:

Great. The Department of Education is there in order to force through top-down educational mandates, afterall.

Yeah, because it's not like the secular humanistic philosophy of Darwinian evolution is being forced on unsuspecting kids through top-down educational mandates, too... :rolleyes: