PDA

View Full Version : Conversion

SeanEdwards
08-26-2007, 05:59 PM
I've been sending this person RP info and trying to get him on board. Unfortunately I seem to have hit an impasse. Check out his last response:

I like the guy's straight talk. Not sure what I think about the ramifications of
his policies.

Unfortunately, I could sooner register as a pedophile than register Republican,
and I disagree with registering merely to distort the outcome of the opponent's
political process.

The larger RP becomes in public awareness the more likely he is to sway the policy
picture for "mainstream" candidates. That is one of the charms, or shortcomings,
of our process. The more entrenched, charismatic, well-funded politicians will
coopt selected pieces of RP's ideas once they become popular. He will have to
take some comfort from the thought that he can bend the outcome.

Hopefully, his fearless honesty will be widely admired, as it should be, and set a
new standard for yes and no type answers from candidates.

So, damn what can I do about that? Try to convince him pedophilia ain't so bad? :D

Damn Republicans have really tarnished their image over the years. Worse than pedophiles... that's tough to overcome. :confused:

mdh
08-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Sometimes you have to weigh the amount of time spent versus the potential benefit. Is this individual particularly influential within a segment of the population?

bcmiller
08-26-2007, 06:31 PM
He is still defining himself as a democrat and not as an American whose rights are unalienable and who gets those rights as an individual.

If he falls in line with the thinking of Ron Paul he is currently a republican. He isn't sure of the ramifications of Ron Paul's policies but he should be sure of the ramifications of the current course. Even thou national healthcare and welfare and world peace are laudable goals, they are too expensive and unconstitutional. It isn't a choice between compassion for the poor and a cold world where you eat what you kill. It is our last chance to set this plane down in the soft field while there is time, instead of the open sea or the hard rocks. The dollar will fail, it can't be propped up forever. Since the printing of dollars funds our warfare and welfare state all other issues are purely academic.

He shouldn't be so married to his past believes and associations that he becomes their slave. He is choosing to throw up his hands and become a jellyfish to the mainstream media's tide. Our first revolution called for blood and fortune, all he has to do for this one is shrug off apathy and defeatism, register for the primaries and spread the word.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. - 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' - Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." Essay on Self Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson (http://www.scribd.com/doc/12298/Self-Reliance-Ralph-Waldo-Emerson)

foofighter20x
08-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Is he in an open or closed primary state? If it's open, he doesn't need to register GOP.

Closed or mixed, and it may be a problem. Maybe try to appeal to his sense of rebellion and tell him to stick it to the war party by dipping his toe in the water just long enough for their peace candidate... Might that work?

Hook
08-26-2007, 06:41 PM
You only have finite time and resources. I would invest them in someone with a better return on investment. Plus, you won't end up alienating your friend.

SeanEdwards
08-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Is he in an open or closed primary state? If it's open, he doesn't need to register GOP.

Closed or mixed, and it may be a problem. Maybe try to appeal to his sense of rebellion and tell him to stick it to the war party by dipping his toe in the water just long enough for their peace candidate... Might that work?

He is in Washington state. I don't know what kind of primary they have. Do you know where I can find out? I bet he would vote for Paul if he didn't have to declare himself a pedo.. I mean republican.

foofighter20x
08-26-2007, 07:10 PM
He is in Washington state. I don't know what kind of primary they have. Do you know where I can find out? I bet he would vote for Paul if he didn't have to declare himself a pedo.. I mean republican.

The answer you need is on page 9 (http://www.secstate.wa.gov/elections/pdf/Elections_and_Voting_FAQs.pdf).

edit... crap, i misread that... i'll keep looking.

foofighter20x
08-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Found it. (http://www.secstate.wa.gov/elections/pdf/2006/Pick-a-Party_FAQ.pdf)

Kregener
08-26-2007, 07:51 PM
I like the guy's straight talk. Not sure what I think about the ramifications of
his policies.
So don't you have to ask yourself what are the "ramifications" of the "policies" of our "elected leaders" FOR THE LAST 80 YEARS?

Unfortunately, I could sooner register as a pedophile than register Republican, and I disagree with registering merely to distort the outcome of the opponent's political process. And I feel the same about registering as a Democrat, but if Ron Paul were running on their ticket, I would do it in a heartbeat!

The larger RP becomes in public awareness the more likely he is to sway the policy picture for "mainstream" candidates. That is one of the charms, or shortcomings, of our process. The more entrenched, charismatic, well-funded politicians will coopt selected pieces of RP's ideas once they become popular. He will have to take some comfort from the thought that he can bend the outcome. He can BE the "outcome", if folks like you would quit playing russian roulette with "Party Politics", and vote for freedom and liberty!

Hopefully, his fearless honesty will be widely admired, as it should be, and set a new standard for yes and no type answers from candidates. Please tell me you are not going to hold your breath on this one? "Candidates" have BEEN answering yes or no forEVER, they just lie and do the opposite when elected. Your children's very future depends on you being smarter than the public at large has been for decades gone by.

Wendi
08-27-2007, 07:49 AM
You can lead a horse to water...