PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to put Paint the Town Ron on your meetup?

Blowback
08-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Hello there,

I'm getting ready for a big Paint the Town Ron. I was just curious, do you think it is wise to put activities like this on a meetup?

When I do it, I plan on doing it BIG and I don't want any blowback in the form of police knocking on my door or anything. Is that even possible?

Mr. White
08-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Encouraging behavior is not an admission of behavior commited.

I am not qualified to, nor am I giving, legal advice.

DjLoTi
08-26-2007, 05:57 PM
This is similar to the 'July 4th' massive sign-posting event. For the most part, that event turned out extremely positive and beneficial.

dircha
08-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Placing and leaving unattended posters and banners other than in appropriate designated areas has the potential to cause a negative media and legal reaction. This is especially true if those materials blow away or aren't taken down after the event.

Why not focus on attended signs and demonstrations such as high traffic highway overpasses and busy street corners, instead of unattended, graffiti-style campaigning?

It's true that people react differently to unattended campaigning, but the difference isn't always in the favor of unattended.

Anyhow, anything you do is at your own risk.

pennycat
08-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Geez, are we going to wet our pants because someone might <gasp> put a sign up someplace their not supposed to?? Can we have a special area for wimps and whiners set up on this forum?

You think civil rights marchers were worrying about what rules they were breaking? You think Viet Nam protesters were worried that they might stray off the sidewalk and walk on the grass in their rallies?

Seriously, if we want to get anywhere close to winning this campaign we are going to have to take some risks. If you don't, you may as well stay home and accept defeat right now!

Mr. White
08-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Geez, are we going to wet our pants because someone might <gasp> put a sign up someplace their not supposed to?? Can we have a special area for wimps and whiners set up on this forum?

You think civil rights marchers were worrying about what rules they were breaking? You think Viet Nam protesters were worried that they might stray off the sidewalk and walk on the grass in their rallies?

Seriously, if we want to get anywhere close to winning this campaign we are going to have to take some risks. If you don't, you may as well stay home and accept defeat right now!

His actual question was regarding potential repercussions to him if he made public his involvment in the effort. If for example, a paper sign came down, blew into the windshield of a car resulting in a 12 care pile-up leaving 3 people dead, he wants to know if the police or lawyers might come after him.

Don't criticize others for thinking through the consequences of their actions.

Blowback
08-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Maybe you need to cool down. The question was not whether or not the event would take place but whether or not I would put all over the internet that I organized and coordinated it.

Some people have jobs and we need to pay our bills for our family. I would rather not get arrested. And I was just asking for advice.

Alabama Supporter
08-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Blowback, I definitely can relate. You may just want to make sure everyone knows about the event, but you don't have to put it up as a "meetup event" where people RSVP. We have been trying to get away from using the meetup site exclusively by sending email direct to the members.

chrisholley
08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
The only blowback that will happen is FOX news might actually have to carry a story on Ron Paul which shows he has support around the country that is not kust on the internet, which might cause certain people to have a heart attack and maybe they will try to give us a manslaughter charge! LOL

chrisholley
08-27-2007, 12:13 AM
ok I'll take the blowback!

I have started a Meetup called The National "Paint the Town Ron" Event Organizers (http://ronpaul.meetup.com/848/) http://ronpaul.meetup.com/848/ , send me a link with the name of your group and the group number along with your name to chrisholley@gmail.com and I will send you an invite.

Lord Xar
08-27-2007, 12:51 AM
hmmm. I wouldn't "admit" to anything or do anything as a "meetup" activity. I have heard of cities fining meetups.... but in my opinion you should still do it, just do not officially do it as a "meetup" activity. Does that make sense?

mavtek
08-27-2007, 01:21 AM
I have some advice for future meetups like this, lay down some ground rules:

1. Never Talk about Fight Club.

2. Never Talk about Fight Club.

So there you have it......

Those same rules could be applied to topics that might be discussed in the presence of media.